By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Next gen war: Microsoft could blaze a trail to victory. Lessons by Nintendo

High speed internet penetration in many countries isn't high enough for digital download to be the only method for delivering content. Next generation I think we could expect, at best, an option to download any game and an option to buy any game in a store.

That would be very, very cool.

Around the Network

^^^ i don't know about you but I always prefer to have a physical copy or so called physical collection and i m sure i m not alone.

SpartanFX said:
^^^ i don't know about you but I always prefer to have a physical copy or so called physical collection and i m sure i m not alone.

You certainly ae not, sir, but the option being there woul be very, very cool.

^^option is nice,,,hmmmm that new game smell/feel can not be changed by a file in my hard drive.

puffy said:
Disfunctional perhaps but if you can imagine, if the console is the central hub of the home. Wouldn't everybody want to use it for sumthing? So if I were Microsoft (say they are the ones to implement this) I'd make a powerful console with say a 12 core processor but tell devs that they may only use 4 of those cores for any one title but then allow them to have an enhanced mode using the full guts of the system..

That console may be priced at $299 at launch, then you have small receivers that have a camera, microfone, power button etc that retails for $79 that acts as a gateway to the console so everybody in the house can have the console in their room (up to 3 for one console)

So your mum wants to play Avatar World: Cooking Practice! in the living room while you play Gear of War 4 in your bedroom and your dad watches a HD movie in the theatre room..

That's how you:
1. kill the competition as why would you need more than one consoles when for an extra $79 you could have a virtual version.

2. Increase the usefulness of bigger, faster processors when te graphics, AI and physics aren't getting a whole lot better

3. Differentiate yourself from the competition as a truly connected household item.. Just like the Wii having the blue light for messages, imagine the console giving everyone they're own personal messages to their own receiver, turn on the TV, connect to the console and notice you have a message from another family member to join their online coop game etc..

Would be a nifty feature

It would really depend on what the reciever actually is. If its say an Xbox 360 Arcade stripped of the optical drive they could easily add those features and run those things locally without relying as heavily on the central hub.

The number 4 reason if I can add, if you could easily upgrade a current 360 to act as a reciever/terminal to the central console it would provide a big incentive for current users to upgrade to the next Xbox rather than a competitors console.

Tease.

Around the Network

Squilliam, why do u love M$ so much? Is it cause you are a PC gamer maybe?

Playing and finishing games first>>>>>>>>>>Then talking!

Opinions are subjective and just like moods, can change.

TOP 12: Deus Ex, Shadow Man, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metroid Prime, Zelda (series), Uncharted (series), FF Tactics, Persona (series), Demons Souls, Vagrant Story.

MOST WANTED: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Last Guardian, ICO/Shadow OTC HD

megaman79 said:
Squilliam, you sir should win the award for topics that really are incredibly pointless.

Are you writing a fantasy novel? A sweeping epic of MS and their magical ability to harness their R&D magic skills to control and overwhelm the masses with their magical powers.

DUDE, what are you talking about? Ok ok, Name me 1, just 1 new technological (or even software) innovation from MS that has been truly revolutionary, popular and a big success.

What's not Included - Vista (pack in and everyones forced at gunpoint to buy the thing, oh and its shit)
- XBOX 360 (its a videogame system, not revolutionary)
- Zune (you know why, don't start)
- software (messenger, email, browsers, etc have all been improved on by competitors)

http://www.microsoft.com/SURFACE/index.html

Tease.

Squilliam said:
megaman79 said:
Squilliam, you sir should win the award for topics that really are incredibly pointless.

Are you writing a fantasy novel? A sweeping epic of MS and their magical ability to harness their R&D magic skills to control and overwhelm the masses with their magical powers.

DUDE, what are you talking about? Ok ok, Name me 1, just 1 new technological (or even software) innovation from MS that has been truly revolutionary, popular and a big success.

What's not Included - Vista (pack in and everyones forced at gunpoint to buy the thing, oh and its shit)
- XBOX 360 (its a videogame system, not revolutionary)
- Zune (you know why, don't start)
- software (messenger, email, browsers, etc have all been improved on by competitors)

http://www.microsoft.com/SURFACE/index.html

My criteria specifically mentioned, REVOLUTIONARY, POPULAR and a BIG Success. That is not a big success.

Magic Election 08 board was not enough for the $$$$$ it costs

Isn't it kinda like an Iphone anyway, its not revolutionary.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Ill be impressed when MS makes do with poaching Wii 3d goggles dude and brings out a new 3d videogame / pc interactive system that allows body and head movements to interact with the information projected in the visor.

But..........................it aint happening with MS, they don't have the balls to risk it

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

megaman79 said:
Ill be impressed when MS makes do with poaching Wii 3d goggles dude and brings out a new 3d videogame / pc interactive system that allows body and head movements to interact with the information projected in the visor.

But..........................it aint happening with MS, they don't have the balls to risk it

Wow you'd be impressed by that? I thought that would just be an incremental upgrade.. ./sarcasm

Honestly the surface is nothing like the iPhone.. Uses IR light to track things, your hand reflets the IR light back into the table and at cameras.. So really.. It's got more in common with the Wii Remote and sensor bar.