By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - So I must write a paper on "The Pianist" (film)

And I have no idea what to write about.  And I have to come up with a thesis by monday, otherwise it's goodbye to 4% of the grade.

What am I to write about, you ask?  Anything that stands out to me, more or less.  For example, I wrote a paper on the movie Platoon, in which I decided that the *SPOILER* scene where the main guy killed the evil sarge was unconvincing, because the previous scenes hadn't led to him doing that *SPOILER END*.  I could write about how lighting and color were used to symbolize or parallel some aspect of the film, or remark on actor choices.  Anything like that.

But as it stands, while I did very much like the movie The Pianist, I didn't notice anything that I might be able to use.

In this time of need, I call upon my fellow VGC-ers to endow me with guidance and suggestions (those who have seen the movie, that is).

Please hurry.

:)

Okami

To lavish praise upon this title, the assumption of a common plateau between player and game must be made.  I won't open my unworthy mouth.

Christian (+50).  Arminian(+20). AG adherent(+20). YEC(+20). Pre-tribulation Pre-milleniumist (+10).  Republican (+15) Capitalist (+15).  Pro-Nintendo (+5).  Misc. stances (+30).  TOTAL SCORE: 195
  http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=43870 <---- Fun theology quiz
Around the Network

I would just write something in relation to the director, Roman Polanski. So I guess take the autobiographical route.

He's had a crazy life, and his filmography is pretty bizarre too. His wife was murdered in his home by the Manson family. His films have always been somewhat disturbed too, even before that. Has had a colorful past even by director standards.

The Ninth Gate is a trippy ass movie too, about these book collectors who are into the occult. Plus it has Johnny Depp!

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

akuma587 said:
I would just write something in relation to the director, Roman Polanski. So I guess take the autobiographical route.

He's had a crazy life, and his filmography is pretty bizarre too. His wife was murdered in his home by the Manson family. His films have always been somewhat disturbed too, even before that. Has had a colorful past even by director standards.

The Ninth Gate is a trippy ass movie too, about these book collectors who are into the occult. Plus it has Johnny Depp!

While that sounds like a good idea, it also sounds like it might require me exerting myself beyond sitting and watching T.V., and I'm not into that. :p

Manson family?  He was involved in that whole thing?

Okami

To lavish praise upon this title, the assumption of a common plateau between player and game must be made.  I won't open my unworthy mouth.

Christian (+50).  Arminian(+20). AG adherent(+20). YEC(+20). Pre-tribulation Pre-milleniumist (+10).  Republican (+15) Capitalist (+15).  Pro-Nintendo (+5).  Misc. stances (+30).  TOTAL SCORE: 195

No, his house was just the one they decided to attack. Pretty disturbing stuff that happened. Would have messed with anyone's mind, and he was already a strange guy.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

akuma587 said:
No, his house was just the one they decided to attack. Pretty disturbing stuff that happened. Would have messed with anyone's mind, and he was already a strange guy.

So, apart from his living during Nazi occupation of Poland, in the jewish section, no less, he had that happen to him too.  Man.

Any other suggestions (I should know better than to post these threads this late in the day)?

Okami

Around the Network

only 4%, piss easy

Just about music in the film. Its use related to the characters, the natzi, that chick and brody.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

I agree, you have to write about music,cause thats pretty much the recurring theme of the movie. The guys love for music might have been what pulled him through the shitty times, not to mention how it saves his a** in the end

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murders will foam up about their waist and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

....and I'll look down and whisper  "no."  

- Rorschach

or the wheelchair dude, that shit was hardcore

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Granted, granted, I guess that is a rather obvious route to take... although I can't seem to think of anything else to write other than "The film had pretty music that a guy liked to play. Oh, and it saved his life, too".

Okami

I liked the 9th Gate.

What's weird is Wikipedia says they never reveal who the Woman is... when i'm pretty sure they reveal her as the Devil. Not by like name... but by visual stuff.