By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will PS3 have a successful year in 2009?

Skeeuk said:
NJ5 said:

Sony has no other choice but to have a price cut for 2009.

They also have no other choice but not to cut prices in 2009, unless they want to go bankrupt. Well, never say never, if the dollar/euro/pound/etc recover and Sony can miraculously make profits even with the economic downturn they could do a price cut, but even then I don't think they'd cut prices by $100, more like $50. In any case, it's a long shot to count on price cuts next year (be glad if they don't have to increase their prices).

As for games, it does seem like they have some good games coming out, but probably nothing extraordinary compared to other platforms.

well its looking to have better games coming out than wii60.

ps3 will have a better year in 2009 than 2008,

sony will manage a price cut, when they do il be the 1st to pm u the news.

i think ur just exercising ur fanboyism a little because 360 is selling more during this season, when at other times u kept quite. if i can recall correctly ur that guy who banged on about ninja gaiden 2 looking better than ninja gaiden sigma? when that clearly wasnt the case.................i think u mabey still pissed of about that:)

What does this have to do with the 360 outselling the PS3? Did I even mention that?

Many people were saying there would be a price cut by Christmas, even when Sony was saying they were focusing on getting profitable. They were wrong then, and they're even more wrong if they think Sony is thinking about price cuts now.

As for your other offtopic mention of Ninja Gaiden 2, I still believe it looks better than Sigma but why would we discuss that here?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
amirnetz said:

NJ5 is right. Forget about a price for the next 11-12 months. Sony just cannot sacrifice the whole company for the success of one product.

And Snake612 - you are also right - without a price cut, the future Sony is bleak. Their momentum in the market will grind to a halt. They will become the official 3rd place finisher, their retail display sheves will be much smaller than the Wii and the 360, and the gaming community will consolidate around the other consoles. They will be in worst shape than the GC was - they don't even appeal to the kiddy audiance. The PS3 has no population segement that it really owns. All it has left is an eroding brand name.

All the new games will not help Sony with such a small installed base. They will not be able to recover their development costs with such a low attach rate for their first party games. They'll need to start closing down the studios to cut costs.

By the time they get to a feasible price cut, the battle had been decided. The Wii and 360 will have pulled away to far margin. 3rd parties will start omitting Sony from their platform support. They will be in a slow death sprial.

It is hard to see how 2009 is going to be a "successful year" for Sony.

In 2007 I thought that PS3 might become the next Sega Saturn. It seems to have pulled itself out of that rut, but it may slip bacvk into it. However, PS3 can piggyback of 360 games that are multiplat, and is laready somehwat sucessful, so I don't think PS3 is going to "grind to a halt" It may come in 3rd, but it won't out and out die.

You have some valid points, but there are some important differences to the Xbox situation. Development budgets are higher now so they need all the potential userbase they can get, and this time the 360 didn't get a huge head start in installed base, so developers got used to targeting both.

That said, if/when third parties start to take the Wii seriously, PS3 and 360 could lose some more games.

Disagree. With the economics the way they are, the appetite of the studios for large risky investments will go down. There will always be the big productions. But expect also to see the low-budgeted releases, and increasingly so. Few can afford to risk $50M-$100M on a big production title. The is very little capital left to go around for such risks. It is much easier to get the investments and returns from the good $5M-$10M titles.

Regarding the Wii - noone by Ninty was able to really crack the formula on how to make people buy games for it. The studios are trying for years to figure it out but the top selling titles for the Wii are always the first parties. There is no doubt the Wii market and audiance is very different than the PS3 and the 360. This almost is why the forums almost ignore the Wii though unit-wise it is killing.

Prediction made on 11/1/2008:

Q4 2008: 27M xbox LTD, 20M PS3 LTD . 2009 sales: 11M xbox,  9M PS3

IMO The PS3 sales has nothing but hard times ahead compared to the 360. A handful of exclusives are not going to save it and the only thing that will is a price cut. That price cut needs to happen soon before more of the market share is taken away. 2009 is going to be a very important 3rd year for the PS3. It wont die but I think it will fall further in the cellar.

"will PS3 have another successful year in 2009" that should be your title, 2008 was more than successful for the ps3 and 2009 will only get better

Around the Network
Hawkeye said:
amirnetz said:

NJ5 is right. Forget about a price for the next 11-12 months. Sony just cannot sacrifice the whole company for the success of one product.

And Snake612 - you are also right - without a price cut, the future Sony is bleak. Their momentum in the market will grind to a halt. They will become the official 3rd place finisher, their retail display sheves will be much smaller than the Wii and the 360, and the gaming community will consolidate around the other consoles. They will be in worst shape than the GC was - they don't even appeal to the kiddy audiance. The PS3 has no population segement that it really owns. All it has left is an eroding brand name.

All the new games will not help Sony with such a small installed base. They will not be able to recover their development costs with such a low attach rate for their first party games. They'll need to start closing down the studios to cut costs.

By the time they get to a feasible price cut, the battle had been decided. The Wii and 360 will have pulled away to far margin. 3rd parties will start omitting Sony from their platform support. They will be in a slow death sprial.

It is hard to see how 2009 is going to be a "successful year" for Sony.

In 2007 I thought that PS3 might become the next Sega Saturn. It seems to have pulled itself out of that rut, but it may slip bacvk into it. However, PS3 can piggyback of 360 games that are multiplat, and is laready somehwat sucessful, so I don't think PS3 is going to "grind to a halt" It may come in 3rd, but it won't out and out die.

The only way the PS3 will die is for Sony to stop producing it. I know it seems far fetched right now but if the PS3 does not get to profitability within 12 months then I think discontinuation will become a relevant question.

Sony is going to lose $1 Billion this year on the PS3. This is a huge amount for the company that has barely squeezed $20M in profits last quarter and is actually having a negative cash flow.

Sony cannot sacrifice the whole company for one product. The PS3 business either become profitable in the next year or they will need to start shutting down operations.

So has the year of the PS3 been postponed till 2009?

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

tuoyo said:

Yessiree Bob!

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

tuoyo said:

Apparently the "Year of the PS3" is the same year as the "Year of Linux on the Desktop".

amirnetz said:
tuoyo said:

Apparently the "Year of the PS3" is the same year as the "Year of Linux on the Desktop".

It shall also be known as "The Year of Duke Nukem Forever".

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957