By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do thirdparties dislike Nintendo?

HappySqurriel said:
bouzane said:
The thing is, many of the Wii's best third party games such as Okami, Zack & Wiki, Boom Blox, No More Heroes and de Blob have hardly seen stellar sales. Until this trend changes it would be difficult for many third party developers to justify focusing on Wii.

Well Okami has sold as well as it did on the PS2
No More Heroes is Suda 51's best selling game ever
Zack and Wiki sold 500,000 copies even though it is part of a genre which hasn't been popular in 15 years
Boom Blox was poorly advertized, low budget game that sold 500,000 copies
de Blob continues to chug along seeing sales week-after-week and will (likely) pass 500,000 copies sold

Being that many of these games exceeded expectations and have justified sequels due to their profitability maybe it is about time that people start to consider that "success" is something that has to be defined differently for every game.

Your point is valid but it still pains me to see games like Okami failing to attain the sales that they deserve. I guess it has more to do with the decisions of the developers and publishers than the platform that the games are released on.

Around the Network

they probability do not like the wii because of nintendo philosophy(belief). nintendo makes a lot of causal games, some might argue too much. and by doing so it attracts a lot of causal gamers, kids, etc. these gamers dont want the games these 3rd party delevolpers make

but also the wii has design a system for parents to trust that it will control what their child does and sees. a lot of parents don't like showing violent/offensive games to their kids. this is one of the reasons the wii is selling, however this is bad for 3rd parties because they make violent/offensive games. which means they can't make a profit off the wii

That's why the two Resident Evil games on the Wii sold over a million copies.

bouzane said:
HappySqurriel said:
bouzane said:
The thing is, many of the Wii's best third party games such as Okami, Zack & Wiki, Boom Blox, No More Heroes and de Blob have hardly seen stellar sales. Until this trend changes it would be difficult for many third party developers to justify focusing on Wii.

Well Okami has sold as well as it did on the PS2
No More Heroes is Suda 51's best selling game ever
Zack and Wiki sold 500,000 copies even though it is part of a genre which hasn't been popular in 15 years
Boom Blox was poorly advertized, low budget game that sold 500,000 copies
de Blob continues to chug along seeing sales week-after-week and will (likely) pass 500,000 copies sold

Being that many of these games exceeded expectations and have justified sequels due to their profitability maybe it is about time that people start to consider that "success" is something that has to be defined differently for every game.

Your point is valid but it still pains me to see games like Okami failing to attain the sales that they deserve. I guess it has more to do with the decisions of the developers and publishers than the platform that the games are released on.

The game got almost no marketing on either release. It was truly a game only the core gaming community knew about. I got a copy for the PS2, but I'm a core gamer.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

How can you honestly say this. Are you so obsessed with nintendo that you can't think outside the box? You actually think 3rd parties wish failure on nintendo?

HI BITCHES I'M MARK REIN! 

I'm the president of Epic games, maker of the Unreal Engine!  One of the most used engines in today gaming!

http://au.media.xbox360.ign.com/articles/661/661361/vids_1.html

Heres me calling the Wii a gimmick and all developers are going to make crap for it!  Also no one owned a gamecube LOL!

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/04/21/epic_wii_is_a_virus_/1

Heres where I call the Wii a virus, also nobody plays it after they buy it of course DUH!

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/11/23/unreal-engine-3-coming-to-wii-but-not-by-epic/

Worst day of my career, I was told I had to make the Unreal Engine for the Wii, but I decided to hand it down to some other company!  I'm not using my own coders to work on our own ENGINE!  OH MARKYS ON FIRE. 

Seriously theres heaps of other crap like this going on already.  Third Partys were dooming Nintendo day one and Nintendo pulled off the comeback they all thought wasn't possible. 

Around the Network
BMaker11 said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
Well, if you're sick of sequelitis like I am, then shovelware and ports are more appetizing than "MAJOR SEQUELS" to old and busted franchises. I think it's actually PS360's turn to get something as new and unique as Elebits or bring back a long-dead genre with a new IP like Zack and Wiki. I really don't see a problem here on the Wii front, unless I had some sort of disease that meant I needed 5 new games per month. Besides, I've got hundreds of old games to catch up with anyway.

Uhhh....Mario? Zelda? Metroid? Discounting Final Fantasy because in actuality, each installation is a legitimately separate game, but the "MAJOR SEQUELS" of which you speak on the PS3/360 are at 4, maybe 5 for each series. Mario Galaxy is proabaly like Super Mario World 20 or something like that if ti were given a number.

And if you want to talk about bringing in fresh IPs and such, go play LBP or maybe some XBLA or PSN games

I didn't mean that comment as a flame magnet, but here we go...

The NES era was known for pumping out games really fast.  It had 3 Final Fantasies, 3 Dragon Quests, 3 Castlevanias, 4 Ninja Turtles, 4 Double Dragons, and 6 Mega Mans.

But Nintendo only made 1 Metroid, 2 Zeldas, and 4 Marios (in Japan, only 3 in America).  But they also made many other great games outside of their major franchises, like Excite Bike, Punch-Out!!, Kid Icarus, and more, and over the decades they've been bringing in new IPs on every single console.

Outside of Mega Man, Sonic, and Street Fighter, the SNES era actually slowed that down a little.  We've had 1 Mario platformer per console, only 3 console Metroids in the last decade, and 1-2 Zeldas per console (2 on Nes, 1 on SNES, 2 on N64, 1.5 on GC, and 0.5 on Wii).

The reason you think Nintendo is the worst at milking its franchises, is because Nintendo is the longest lasting most successful and greatest software developer in history.  Only Nintendo has this many successful franchises, and that bothers you for some reason.  Maybe you're jealous because you just don't like their games.  Or maybe you hate success?  I have no idea.  But when Microsoft or Sony have enough original and successful first party characters to make a Smash Bros. game, you'll be singing a different tune.

Dinomax said:

How can you honestly say this. Are you so obsessed with nintendo that you can't think outside the box? You actually think 3rd parties wish failure on nintendo?

HI BITCHES I'M MARK REIN! 

I'm the president of Epic games, maker of the Unreal Engine!  One of the most used engines in today gaming!

http://au.media.xbox360.ign.com/articles/661/661361/vids_1.html

Heres me calling the Wii a gimmick and all developers are going to make crap for it!  Also no one owned a gamecube LOL!

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/04/21/epic_wii_is_a_virus_/1

Heres where I call the Wii a virus, also nobody plays it after they buy it of course DUH!

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/11/23/unreal-engine-3-coming-to-wii-but-not-by-epic/

Worst day of my career, I was told I had to make the Unreal Engine for the Wii, but I decided to hand it down to some other company!  I'm not using my own coders to work on our own ENGINE!  OH MARKYS ON FIRE. 

Seriously theres heaps of other crap like this going on already.  Third Partys were dooming Nintendo day one and Nintendo pulled off the comeback they all thought wasn't possible. 

At least Cliffy B finds him attractive.

Tease.