By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 360 or PS3 for minimal gamer?

Well, I shall suggest you do what I suggest to most people. Go to a videogame store and try playing both consoles. See which one you like best. The controller will probably make a big differance to you at this point (since apparently titles aren't your biggest interest).

Yeah the netflix thing is pretty sweet. My co-worker has it and is already putting it to good use. Depending upon how expansive your DVD Library is, I would imagine upgrading to BluRay isn't the biggest priority you'd have.

Suggestion: whatever you go with get an HDMI cable!!
You want Hi-Def, thats how you really get Hi-Def!

Also XBLA rules!

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

Around the Network
Media Servers.Max King of the Wild said:
sega4life said:
Lingyis said:

in about a month my wife and i will be moving into a new apartment where we'll be getting new furniture and everything.  we don't have a DVD player at this point, and to minimize the total number of hardware we own, it's quite likely we'll be getting a ps3 or xbox 360 as a substitute for a DVD player.

we already have a wii, and we have a minimal need for the games that are on ps3 or xbox 360.  i am interested in some of the sports games on HD consoles (like NHL 09), but don't care about shooters or most of the other games.

so i'm debating between a ps3 or 360.  i would probably be getting a ps3 if not for the fact that 360 now has direct netflix streaming.  i do not want to set up software to stream netflix from my PC to my console, because i do not own a PC (a laptop, yes, but i use it for work).  i am committed to getting high-speed internet access, and i'll be getting a plasma TV ~50 inch.  thinking of a panasonic, i welcome your opinion on the TV as well.

anyway, ps3 appears to have better interface for media entertainment, like they have a remote control for the console, right?  that plays a big role.  i don't think the 360 has one.  ps3 is also bulkier, which is a minus.

what do you guys think?  360 or ps3?  has anybody tried netflix on 360?

i could also end up getting a standalone blu-ray player if i can find one cheap, like below $100, or maybe $150, so that i don't feel like i'm wasting money on a ps3 or 360.

well with so many posts you have I would think you have read enough on this site to make a decision...

Well for starts the 360 Does have a Remote for it, it even has the Media server connection button on the remote, if you have certain versions of Vista then it would be a dream come true.

Think about uploading ALL your DvD's to you Hard drive on the PC then just streaming them to your 360, or you can pay the $8.95 a month for Unlimited Movie Downloads / Steaming to your 360.

Even if you don't use Netflix 360 has a Huge selection of TV and Movies on it's own.

360 + Vista Media Center is a dream come true if your into storing DvD's.

I love Netflix, I don't even use my MS anymore, I have over 57 movies lined up, you can flip through the movie boxes like a Rolodex on the 360.

Don't get me wrong the PS3 is nice with Blu-ray... but it's not to user friendly when it comes to Media servers, from when I tried anyway. Also services like Netflix might be the way of the future.

Also don't go with Plasma unless you get the rotating pixel plasma, Plasma TV's are very, very, easy to burn images on screen when gaming.

They have gotten better, but still not perfect.

LCD or DLP because they are cheap and have a damn nice picture.

Not to mention Samsung just came out with Laser DLP, witch will be better then any Plasma or LCD on the market, or so many say so far..

Can you read?

I can read just fine, just throwing in some helpful tips on Media Servers.

I'm sure he will get a Personal Computer in his life time, why not keep if informed.

Also to stream Netflix from PC to TV you need Hardware, (if not using a 360 that is)

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

GooseGaws said:
sega4life said:

Also don't go with Plasma unless you get the rotating pixel plasma, Plasma TV's are very, very, easy to burn images on screen when gaming.

This really isn't true.  A good plasma screen will not easily suffer permanent burn-in.  There may be a break-in period, but the superior picture quality makes it worthwhile.

I also heard during the break in period you should keep the contrast low. (break in period is usually around 100 hours) anyway on top of that you only really need to worry about burn in if there is a constent picture on the screen for lon periods of time (IE the navigational map for GTA's)

Max King of the Wild said:
GooseGaws said:
sega4life said:

This really isn't true.  A good plasma screen will not easily suffer permanent burn-in.  There may be a break-in period, but the superior picture quality makes it worthwhile.

I also heard during the break in period you should keep the contrast low. (break in period is usually around 100 hours) anyway on top of that you only really need to worry about burn in if there is a constent picture on the screen for lon periods of time (IE the navigational map for GTA's)

When it comes to TV's people want a Turn on and watch TV not take it easy before the 100 hour mark, or watch what you play on it.

Like I stated Plasmas have come a long way from the older models.. BUT... they still have burning issues..

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

With that tv, not having blu-ray would be a mistake. DVD playback is fantastic as well. There is a descent video service on the PSN as well, new movies being added every week.

PS3 has bluray

also, for such a nice setup, it will run quieter.

Get a PS3

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

Around the Network
sega4life said:
GooseGaws said:
sega4life said:

When it comes to TV's people want a Turn on and go, not take it easy on it before the 100 hour mark, or watch what you play on it.

Like I stated Plasmas have come a long way from the older models.. BUT... they still have buring issues..

Most people who are spending a lot of money on a television will be alright with doing what is recommended to make it last the longest with the best picture quality.  I've had a plasma for a long time, and I never have to "watch what I play" on it.

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

sega4life said:
GooseGaws said:
sega4life said:

When it comes to TV's people want a Turn on and watch TV not take it easy before the 100 hour mark, or watch what you play on it.

Like I stated Plasmas have come a long way from the older models.. BUT... they still have buring issues..

You do know LCD's also have a risk of burn ins and should be broken in too.... dont you?

P Max King of the Wild said:
sega4life said:
GooseGaws said:
sega4life said:

You do know LCD's also have a risk of burn ins and should be broken in too.... dont you?

Yes Copernicus I know. ALL tv's not just LCD's, Plasmas, or even DLPS, they can all get Burns when left on to long with the same image staying in the same spot.

What i'm pointing out is Plasmas have the highest risk for Burns when using Video Games.

let me enthesize this more, DLP is the way to go, and if you want to get ahead of the game go with Laser DLP.

Click Me for Laser DLP

sega4life said:
sega4life said:
GooseGaws said:
sega4life said:

Yes Copernicus I know. ALL tv's not just LCD's, Plasmas, or even DLPS, they can all get Burns when left on to long with the same image staying in the same spot.

What i'm pointing out is Plasmas have the highest risk for Burns when using Video Games.

and 360's have the highest risks of hardware failure... but I don't see you objecting to that purchase (You opened the door there)

I say Xbox 360. Since you want Netflix, its pretty much the only option and you can enjoy it straight away. With Blu Ray you've gotta actually buy/rent disks to take advantage.

Buy an Xbox 360 Arcade, grab a cheap 20gb HDD from somewhere along with the media remote and you're good to go.

Tease.