By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The 360 Hardware Debate - To Upgrade or Stay The Course

Hey everybody,

This is a bit of a strange question to ask, but I was wondering if anyone had heard about how the new 360's at retail are holding up. (Aren't they the 'Jasper' units, or whatever?) Do they really have the 90nm chips in them along with the new heatsinks and a quieter DVD drive? Are they much less prone to failure?

The reason I ask is becuase of this: I have a next-to-launch 360 (Manufactured December 2005), and while it's done okay for me for three years, the fans do seem to be louder than I remember. Plus, my extended warranty/service contract is up come January.

So, here's what I was thinking - Gamestop is running a special next week (in my region): Trade in your 360, Wii, or PS3 and get $40 extra trade in credit. So, I'm thinking that I trade in my old 360 and purchase a brand-new Arcade system. After everything is said and done it should be only about $25 or so out of pocket for the new system, and I get a 360 with  some more reliable parts, some free games (I hear Lego Indy isn't bad), and an HDMI-capable system.

Question is, is it really worth it? I'm thinking it might just be - I'd love to have a 360 with HDMI out, and having the peace of mind (and maybe a little quieter) of having a 'better' console may make this worth it. But, I'm looking for input. Anyone have any suggestions?

Around the Network

do it.

No way, because prices will continue to drop. There's no need to buy a new system until your current system fails. Other deals will present itself in the future.

25$ for a Falcon 360 is a good deal. It has the Lite-on drive and quieter fans. It will not rrod,as you can imagine. If your 2005 model lasted this much,the new one will last much longer. I don`t trust non-Falcon models,even if they are not bad.

"Just do it" !!

It depends on how much you can save. If you feel up to it, go ahead.

Around the Network

Try to kill your 360 to get the guarantee =p

I recently did this myself, bought a new Arcade unit and my older 360 is now in "storage". The new unit is cooler and quieter and has the added bonus of not stratching my disks.

Remember that any downloaded games won't work on your new 360 unless you are signed into XBL due to MS's silly DRM, which recognises you are not using the same 360 unit you downloaded the games onto.

I am largely platform agnostic. I fail to understand why some people get overly fanboyish about what is an inanimate piece of electronics that's obsolete even before it's launched, when there are far more important things to champion, such as preventing environmental destruction or preventing millions of people dying unnecessarily from illnesses. This fact however, doesn’t mean I am not someone who doesn’t enjoy gaming as a pastime (as I have done for the last 20 years) or doesn’t have a strong interest in how the market is evolving – hence my presence on this site.

Platforms owned – PC, DS, X-Box 360, PS3, PSP and Wii.

Teqonix said:

Hey everybody,

This is a bit of a strange question to ask, but I was wondering if anyone had heard about how the new 360's at retail are holding up. (Aren't they the 'Jasper' units, or whatever?) Do they really have the 90nm chips in them along with the new heatsinks and a quieter DVD drive? Are they much less prone to failure?

The reason I ask is becuase of this: I have a next-to-launch 360 (Manufactured December 2005), and while it's done okay for me for three years, the fans do seem to be louder than I remember. Plus, my extended warranty/service contract is up come January.

So, here's what I was thinking - Gamestop is running a special next week (in my region): Trade in your 360, Wii, or PS3 and get $40 extra trade in credit. So, I'm thinking that I trade in my old 360 and purchase a brand-new Arcade system. After everything is said and done it should be only about $25 or so out of pocket for the new system, and I get a 360 with  some more reliable parts, some free games (I hear Lego Indy isn't bad), and an HDMI-capable system.

Question is, is it really worth it? I'm thinking it might just be - I'd love to have a 360 with HDMI out, and having the peace of mind (and maybe a little quieter) of having a 'better' console may make this worth it. But, I'm looking for input. Anyone have any suggestions?

Do it. My Premium gave up the ghost for a month or so and I found an Arcade for $174. I found out my other 360 was still covered too. I sent it off and got it back a week later. I ran it for a lil while and it was very hot. Not so much with my Arcade. Keep your HD and trade that puppy in. You are getting a more reliable machine, dread.

You can go xbox.com and transfer your DRM license to your new Xbox 360.

and yes I would get a new one (but Arcade bundle is Sonic Tennis and not Lego Indy) However you might be able to find cheap Pro 60gb for cheap during Black Friday. (I am assuming you are in N. America since you mention GameStop recent promotion).

Press_the_Button said:
I recently did this myself, bought a new Arcade unit and my older 360 is now in "storage". The new unit is cooler and quieter and has the added bonus of not stratching my disks.

Remember that any downloaded games won't work on your new 360 unless you are signed into XBL due to MS's silly DRM, which recognises you are not using the same 360 unit you downloaded the games onto.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/licensemigration/