By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Percentage of games that turn a profit=

%4 according to an independant research firm:

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/only-four-percent-of-video-games-make-a-profit-ndash-eedar-/

With the cost of HD games and rampant PC/PSP/DS gaming piracy its no suprise. It makes you wonder as to why more high profile games(ie:Monster Hunter 3) aren't coming to Wii. So please keep your piracy to a minimum guys or there will be no games to be had and like 2 studios.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Around the Network

Damn. I can't believe it's that high. That % is higher than the % of games that are actually good.

I believe a similar figure also belongs to the music and movie industry. I'm not too shocked.

Bet - "PES 2009 (PS3) will sell (closer to) 150k first week in Japan" - Pooperscopper
"It will sell closer to 125k" - Me I agree.
ME = OWNED :(

End of '09 Predictions:

Wii: 78 million
X360: 35 million
PS3: 27 million

You guys do know that the media industry is well known for it's shady accounting practices right? Some of the bigger players show a loss on paper so that they don't have to pay taxes. That's the way the industry rolls.

I don't think everyone uses this approach but you can bet that certain publishers do.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

That number seems shady.

Around the Network

yea if the number was true there wouldn't be a gaming industry. That 4% would have to be some kind of gold mine that payed at least 40% more than the other 96% put together.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

And from that % I bet 1% is from Nintendo games

LOL. I wonder if they counted flash games.

wow that's low, but don't forget the DLC, they must make a lot of money on it. And I also think that some game are not made to be profitable, but just to give a good image of a company (a la team ico game).

That looks to me like they just looked at the bottom line of the balance sheets for a handful of game companies and didn't actually check any of the real data in the other 10 to 50 pages on the annual finance reports. If they had, 1.) this report would have contained much more detail, 2.) it would have taken far longer to effectively compile, and 3.) it would contain concise source citations.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.