By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is the 360's failure rate? AKA is RROD still a big problem?

therealfacts said:
Yea all 360's have a huge chance of getting that RROD, why even waste your hard earned cash just to have it break on you... PS3 is where the real Next gen gaming is at.

so sony is naming their next console the ps3 too?

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network

Launch xenon 360's are junk, the early falcon's are junk, the newest falcons are much much better but the problem still exists.  If you aren't in a hurry I would say wait and buy a Jasper when they come out.  I wouldn't be surprised if the jaspers still RROD'd because they admittingly don't know what the entire problem is, but they are working rather diligently on it.  I'm not sure if they fixed the disc scratching issue but my last refurb was for scratching.

But you should consider more than this when deciding.  You should take a look at each consoles exclusives and ask YOURSELF which ones you like best.  Don't look up biased reviews, don't ask these forums as you'll get fanboy answers, and make your choices carefully.  Whatever console appeals more to you based on exclusives... buy that one.  Multiplat titles are virtually the same, some will argue each way but its BS.  I've played most multiplats on both and didn't see the issues they were pointing out.  Also, decide for yourself if you will EVER plan on watching hi-def movies (if you even have an HDTV) and factor that in on your ps3 column.

So when you figure out which exclusives appeal to you most, buy that unit on black friday.  If you narrow down to 360 and rrod scares you, buy a jasper unit when they are available.  If money is not a constraint, buy both.

Infinity said:
I am a manager in the industry, and I can tell you first hand the failure rate I have witnessed, even with the newest SKUs released, is near 40%. You may be lucky enough to not have your 360 die on you, about 60% have never failed. Some brand new systems die after 15 minutes out of the box. Microsoft does have a 3 year warranty to replace your unit with another refurbished unit within about 6-8 weeks after sending your broken unit to them, however this only covers the red ring issue, not other 360 failures that are just as common. Microsoft also does not warranty scratches and laser burns that the 360 commonly causes games to have. There is a class action lawsuit in California against Microsoft for selling lemon game consoles as new, presumably working, units.

You're a manager in the industry?  What does that even mean?  A fancy way of saying you're a Gamestop manager?  I trust Gamestop managers about as far as I can throw them and I imagine managers of just about every other gaming shop are about the same (some of the funniest stories I've ever heard start with My Gamestop manager said...).

Anyways, I wouldn't worry about it too much.  The newer models are much more reliable and even if they weren't, you still have a 3 year warranty.  If it lasts three years, you have a keeper.

kunaixhaku said:
Squilliam said:
Infinity said:
I am a manager in the industry, and I can tell you first hand the failure rate I have witnessed, even with the newest SKUs released, is near 40%. You may be lucky enough to not have your 360 die on you, about 60% have never failed. Some brand new systems die after 15 minutes out of the box. Microsoft does have a 3 year warranty to replace your unit with another refurbished unit within about 6-8 weeks after sending your broken unit to them, however this only covers the red ring issue, not other 360 failures that are just as common. Microsoft also does not warranty scratches and laser burns that the 360 commonly causes games to have. There is a class action lawsuit in California against Microsoft for selling lemon game consoles as new, presumably working, units.

Im calling BS on this.

If my internet wasn't so slow I would show you the NeoGaf RROD graphs. Its about the only source of data on the internet thats been compiled anywhere and is available for distribution to people.

Also I have never seen anyone who isn't known to be biased against Microsoft/Xbox 360 post that they've had 17 friends and their dog all had 360s and they all broke down.

I haven't personally seen or known anyone with an Xbox 360 who has had RROD, so anecdotes are everywhere.

biasd? didnt i say im gettin a 360 this boxin day....n how much i like gears....dont get mad cuz 360's break down accept it. A lot of ppl who say that are not against ms jeez they wanna get it themselves and are scared to so they are warning others. even freakn store employees will let u know about all the 360 problems right in ur face. u gna call them biasd too. jus cuz u avent known anyone doesn't mean its not true.

Just a general impression. Many people just show up here, make sure they talk about their multiple RRODs in the first few posts they have here, get themselves banned/permabanned and are never seen/heard from again. So hey, if you're not one of those people then GREAT!

Tease.

I guess its luck of the draw

Im based in the UK and have owned my Xbox approx 18 months.

Its never had any problems and I use it a lot.