By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Back up your HDD

I will be backing up the game saves I care about to USB drive in the future.

In a way, it's not all bad since a lot of those game saves were for games I started well over a year ago, and haven't played since.

It's like "do I even remember where I was in the game when I stopped playing it?"

Of course there are still plenty of games that I have where it's also "oh, right; have to start over from the top, so I won't even bother to play."

Around the Network

How do I backup the stuff on PS3?? I have a 1-Terabyte external USB HDD, I can just plug it into a PS3?

It's not much harder than that.

The PS3 should recognize most HDD formats; if it reads in Windows/Mac, the PS3 will recognize it.
Go to System Settings > Backup Utility > Back Up
Select destination drive USB Device (USB Drive) and Enter.

That's about as in depth as anyone can get as it's a very straightforward process.

Sure... when ever i feel like it....

4 ≈ One

The drive needs to be FAT32. Most externals are FAT32 by default.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network
akuma587 said:

I thought FAT32 has size limit of 4GB or so?

Dgc1808 said:
Sure... when ever i feel like it....

Hope you felt like it before your system broke. lol

About how long did it take from the time you filed the repair claim to the time it was ready for pick up?

errorrrr said:
akuma587 said:

I thought FAT32 has size limit of 4GB or so?

For a single file, yes, the limit is 4Gb minus 1 byte. The volume size itself can be up to 8Tb though.

What files would you have to backup that are 4Gb+ in a single file?