By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Objective and factual look at Cell in PS3 and it's REAL capablities.

@selnor
can't you just stop trolling?

Around the Network
dbot said:

@Selnor - You published this other person's post as your own, http://www.howardforums.com/archive/topic/1066963-1.html.  If you are going to troll, you should use your own thoughts.  I don't know if I should respond to you or somehow contact the original poster and tell him my thoughts.

Take a look at the article below.  I don't see the 360's processor on this list.

Game on: NVIDIA, PS3 hardware in Top 500 Supercomputers list

By Jon Stokes | Published: November 18, 2008 - 06:56AM CT

"The really new trend—the one that just recently began and that will only accelerate—is the increasing presence of game-oriented hardware on the list. At the top of the list is IBM's Roadrunner, which first rode the power of the Cell chip to the top spot in June. Roadrunner epitomizes both trends in that it combines a modified version of the processor used in the PlayStation 3 with AMD's Opteron. But the Cell isn't the only coprocessor on the list that has its roots in gaming. "

-- http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081118-game-on-nvidia-ps3-hardware-in-top-500-supercomputers-list.html

Point one. You have to be the biggest troll Ive ever seen. How about you try think link in the second word of the OP. I forget, where do I mention I wrote the entire article????? I merely made it less trolly than the original copy.

Your second point. The cell is a strong CPU. You seem to miss the point. When the Cell is inside the PS3 it losses 2 SPE's for game programmers straight away. What the OP is showing is the numbers breakdown of Cell in PS3, not Cell in general. Cell in PS3 is significantly restricted.

How about read and click on links in the OP before trolling.

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/power/library/pa-cellperf/?ca=drs-#table4

READ TABLE 13 AND YOU'LL KNOW

Honestly I would give this whole situation another year. PS3 came out a year after the 360. I would compare 360 games now to PS3 games next year.

6 SPE + 1 PPE.

4 PPE + 1 PPE max xbox360 theorical maximum.

2 SPE --> extra 33% faster.

Around the Network

Oohh.. Another thread like this. Except this one is a compilation. Sweet~

I'm gonna sit back and watch some people argue about this matter once again.

CGI-Quality said:
@ Garnett

It goes both ways man, it's not “just PS3 fans” so why are you singling them out. My point is still clear, the exclusives tell the REAL story. There are things that have been done in PS3 exclusives that are not possible on 360, pertaining mostly to physics and animation. None of the 360 exclusives have shown this capability. The 360 specs are incapable of it...period. Does it mean the 360 sucks, no, absolutely not. But PS3 and 360 have different advantages over each other. I just believe, however, that PS3 exclusives show more of an advantage though.

I haven't seen that much difference between the quality of visuals, AI or physics between PS3 and XBox 360 games yet ... Which (in itself) is a pretty sad statement for the PS3 given that the XBox 360 is a year older system and has sold for much less than the PS3 at the same points in its lifetime.

selnor
We all know you gota lot o love for the 360 and chip for the PS3 my question is why spend your life running down something you don't care for. Cant you feel yourself twisting and the bitter taste growing in your mouth. Waste time on hate and all you will find is hate

assumption is the mother of all f**k ups 

LOL @ Garnett using Ninety-Nine Knights, enemies on screen Look the same (Copy Paste 200 Times). AI is also bad.

CGI-Quality said:
@ Happy

Then show me a 360 exclusive with the level of physics dynamics and animation that can compete with Uncharted, MGS4, or Heavenly Sword. Remember, I'm not just talking visuals, even though once again, I don't the 360 has a game that looks quite as good as Ucharted.

I think you missed my point ...

After 1 year on the market the PS2 faced competition from the XBox and Gamecube, and there was obvious visual/AI/Physics improvements (that everyone could see) even though the XBox launched at the same price as the PS2 and the Gamecube was $100 cheaper. In contrast, 1 year after the XBox 360 was released the PS3 came to market at $200 more expensive and there is a reasonable argument that they're not dramatically different in processing power; that they just have different advantages that provide benefits under different circumstances.