By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony says that there are now 14M PSN subscribers, more than that of XBL.

TheTruthHurts! said:
PC will always win......;P. But seriously, I (know) that both Sony and Nin, wish they could have a piece of the awesome profits generated by XBox Live.....who wouldnt.

You do know that more than half of profits generated from Live are from the gold membership monthly fees.  It is not Sony's current perogative to collect a monthly fee for revenue.  But yes, I'm sure others would like to see similar non monthly fee profits like MSFT has.

Anyone know how many people subscribe to Qore?  I've never seen any numbers on this and it was one of Sony's more promising sources of income off PSN.

Around the Network

lol
joke thread?

I thought XBL Silver was free?

PS3 and PSP accounts? GEESH!!

WiiStation360 said:
XBox Live silver accounts are free as well. MS counts them in their totals.

No they dont. Gold only...

Around the Network

I do not think MS has 14 million gold subscribers.

Wouldn't surprise me, PSN is free and therefore there is no reason not to sign up.

JaggedSac said:
I do not think MS has 14 million gold subscribers.

This was a topic on the 1up Yours podcast today and they were discussing whether the 14 million number was Gold or Gold/Silver, and they said they were told repeatedly that it was just paying Gold members.

Microsoft should clarify this in their own press release, however.

LEFT 4 DEAD - November 17th

Sony clarifies 14 million-user PSN milestone

"Sony confirms its recently announced network numbers include accounts from both the PlayStation 3 and PSP, but no duplicates; analyst estimates 50 percent of PS3s have gone online.

IDC game-industry analyst Billy Pidgeon concurs, estimating that PS3 PSN registration has skyrocketed 160 percent since January 2008. That said, he still estimates that only around 50 percent of PS3s have logged onto PSN, versus 60 percent for Xbox Live. With Sony announcing last month that 17 million PS3s have been sold worldwide, Pidgeon's estimate pegs the number of PS3-based PSN users at 8.5 million, not 14 million. "Remember, though, they're not claiming that every account is a connected PS3," he told GameSpot."

Completed XBLA: 16 / 32
Completed Retail: 17 / 64
GS Completion %: 82.63%

disolitude said:
WiiStation360 said:
XBox Live silver accounts are free as well. MS counts them in their totals.

No they dont. Gold only...

You sure? Since Microsoft always annouce they have x many 'Xbox LIVE' accounts -- its never 'Xbox LIVE gold' or 'Xbox LIVE silver'...

Ohh and @ anyone thinking its silly for SONY to include PSN user's whom log on PSN via PSP -- why not ? Id guess 80 - 90% of PSP-only PSN users by PSN content, afterall why else would these users have an account? Their is very little free content on the PSP store...