By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Game theory: Possible outcomes for Sony/Microsoft strategy 2009.

Kantor said:
I don't think Microsoft are quite stupid enough to cut their price again. They must be selling at a huge loss already, so the bottom row is pretty much impossible. Perhaps 0.01%

I don't think this is true.  In fact, I think they are making more (or losing less) on their consoles then Sony.

Around the Network

I think it's quite funny that people believe 360 is going to outsell the PS3 worldwide this generation. First of all the PS3 will outsell the 360 in Japan with 10 maybe 15 million consoles this generation.

And that's something that can't be denied, a lot of Japanese gamers just can't be convinced to buy a 360 even with the great exclusive RPGs out there ^^

Just give the Japanese FF XIII, GT5 and some other S-E titles and the PS3 will be selling like crazy in Japan.

America? Hmm I don't see the PS3 closing the gap there, but without a doubt thanks to a price cut the gap will be smaller.

Europe? Actually it's quite funny, while the 360 is being advertised for 150 euros and the PS3 for 400 euros, the 360 is barely outselling the PS3 in others. It only needs one good game (Killzone 2?) and it'll start outselling the 360 again, I wouldn't even be surprised that the PS3 will start outselling the 360 in others without a big game or price-cut ^^

And ow yeah about closing the game division of Sony.
That's probably the last division they are going to close, without the game division Sony would be dead now (PS2 saved Sony for not going broke!)

And it's just a matter of time before the game division will be really profitable, the more consoles you sell, the more software you'll sell ^^

Hawkeye said:
Squilliam, you are a fan of game theory I see.
I think Sony is sunk at this point. Not just their game division, but the company in general. They are still proitable now, but I bet by this time next year they will be hemorrhaging cash. I bet they complete the PS3, and then sell of the Playstation division. They will need the money.

Apple is sitting on 25B$ and no debt.

The plot... thickens.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Playstation 1994 -2009
Good night sweet prince.

Times Banned: 12

Press----------------> <----------------Press

Around the Network
Microsoft saves money for rainy days. I think I remember reading something saying that Bill Gates's objective was to always have a cash reserve big enough to operate for two years without selling a single product.

Actualy for years MS was not paying much for yearly dividends, instead it was investing/holding the money. The reason being that share holders have to pay income tax on dividens they receive.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire