By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony has already passed on a huge price cut to EU/Others (in effect)

magik10 said:
NJ5 said:
sgthaggis said:

Sony to raise prices by up to a third to offset tumbling value of the pound

Sony is to raise prices of its electrical goods in the UK by up to a third to offset the tumbling value of sterling.A sign here that more firms will have to follow suit.  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/3496632/Sony-to-raise-prices-by-up-to-a-third-to-offset-tumbling-value-of-the-pound.html

Nice find. The pound was going down so much that I guess they decided they had no other choice. It will be interesting to see what this does to their sales, it might be the beginning of Sony (along with other companies) decreasing in size.

The party is over, it's time to get real about being profitable now.

According to the article "However, industry experts have predicted that the price increase will not be passed on to customers because shopkeepers are desperate to encourage spending."

We know that retailers don't make any money off the console itself as is and they certainly won't subsidize the console. So you have a couple of scenarios.

1. Sony keep the price of the PS3 as is and eats up the loss

2. Retailers pass on the cost to the consumer

It'll be interesting to see how it shapes up.

True... Will consoles be an exception to this policy? What about games?

Retailers may decrease shelf space if games become less profitable. Perhaps someone who works in retail would have an idea how that would work.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

I'm just watching the TV now. Sony products are dropping about 20-25% in retail at the moment. Sony plans to somehow change this by upping the price after new year. So I guess the price of the PS3 will not change, software for it probably will.

Good to see this site is still going 

My Bravia LCD just started to cry!

Tease.

shanbcn said:
Next 6-7 weeks will determine if Sony really need to cut the price.

Need?  No, based on sales it is already obvious that Sony need to cut the price.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

magik10 said:
NJ5 said:
sgthaggis said:

Sony is to raise prices of its electrical goods in the UK by up to a third to offset the tumbling value of sterling.A sign here that more firms will have to follow suit. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/3496632/Sony-to-raise-prices-by-up-to-a-third-to-offset-tumbling-value-of-the-pound.html

Nice find. The pound was going down so much that I guess they decided they had no other choice. It will be interesting to see what this does to their sales, it might be the beginning of Sony (along with other companies) decreasing in size.

According to the article "However, industry experts have predicted that the price increase will not be passed on to customers because shopkeepers are desperate to encourage spending."

We know that retailers don't make any money off the console itself as is and they certainly won't subsidize the console. So you have a couple of scenarios.

Sony may make an exception for the PS3.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Around the Network

I think we will will def see a price cut 1st half of next year. The manufacturing costs of the PS3 are really comming down of late.

Playing and finishing games first>>>>>>>>>>Then talking!

Opinions are subjective and just like moods, can change.

TOP 12: Deus Ex, Shadow Man, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metroid Prime, Zelda (series), Uncharted (series), FF Tactics, Persona (series), Demons Souls, Vagrant Story.

MOST WANTED: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Last Guardian, ICO/Shadow OTC HD

sinha said:
magik10 said:
NJ5 said:
sgthaggis said:

Sony is to raise prices of its electrical goods in the UK by up to a third to offset the tumbling value of sterling.A sign here that more firms will have to follow suit. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/3496632/Sony-to-raise-prices-by-up-to-a-third-to-offset-tumbling-value-of-the-pound.html

Sony may make an exception for the PS3.

Likely so but that just means they'll be absorbing bigger losses. The weakning dollar (against the yen) was a big enough headache for Sony as is but with a weakening Euro and Pound, this will really sting. To top it off, software isn't exactly flying off the shelf to compensate for losses with and this time around they can't rely on accessories since the PS3 comes packed in with everything.

u can't blame sony or nintendo for taxes.

no one knows what sony are doing or when they will cut the price or how much money they are making so just stop trying to be a smart ass and stop speculating. " forget about a price cut"? sais who? you? who the fuck are you? are you from sony? if not then please shut the fuck up.

That's some very lacking logic (OP). If Sony loses more, it doesn't automatically mean the consumer pays less.