By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN reviews Chrono Trigger DS - 8.8

Haggy said:
Garcian Smith---Ummm do you like any RPG's from that time? Because all the combat systems were pretty similar, and CT's was the second Fastest in my book (The fastes being Earth Bound, the Auto combat option was something that should be in every RPG)

I Do not really like RPGs that much, but for Chrono Trigger, I will always make the exception...unless they make a beach volleyball game or something...then I will be rather annoyed

Well, I've played at least a few hours of many of the biggies - FF4/5/6, Phantasy Star 2 & 4, CT, and so on - and the ones I've liked have been Earthbound (for being almost completely unorthodox, albeit still turn-based), Secret of Mana (which is really an action-RPG), and the Shining Force games (challenging strategy games with RPG elements). All of the rest, I've been able to mash the "X" button with one hand while browsing the 'net with the other.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Around the Network

GS

I don't

I don't think JRPGs are the genre for you

Chrono Trigger has strategy, but a lot of it is optional.

Try the Grandia games. Ignore the trite stories, but the battle system is nowhere the just tap over and over again.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Buying.

4 ≈ One

Unfortunately, this does not seem to be the only review that is taking the tact:

one of the best games of all times ... but we've seen it before ... next.

I could say something about reviewers and FPSs and such ... but I won't.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
GS

I don't

I don't think JRPGs are the genre for you

I concour....

Earthbond rocked my socks, That should be brougth back, I own it on the snes, but still.

I'll probably play through this again then just to see the improvements made to the script. I got rather bored 3/4th through the original game but hopefully the improved localization will help keep my attention this time

DTG said:
I'll probably play through this again then just to see the improvements made to the script. I got rather bored 3/4th through the original game but hopefully the improved localization will help keep my attention this time

The localization of the original game was good but I think the DS remake will only benefit from the redone script.

Well, I must admit I played the original only a few years ago, far after it had been released on the SNES. So the game felt really outdated for me in the story/script department and just wasn't able to hold my interest very long. I used to be a huge fan of SNES RPG's back in the day but RPG's have since improved by a huge deal in terms of their storylines and presentation so in 2008 a 16 bit rpg isn't all that impressive to me. Nonetheless I liked the unique, wacky characters in CT and think they would benefit from a script improvement because there's definitely originality and potential there.

DTG said:
Well, I must admit I played the original only a few years ago, far after it had been released on the SNES. So the game felt really outdated for me in the story/script department and just wasn't able to hold my interest very long. I used to be a huge fan of SNES RPG's back in the day but RPG's have since improved by a huge deal in terms of their storylines and presentation so in 2008 a 16 bit rpg isn't all that impressive to me. Nonetheless I liked the unique, wacky characters in CT and think they would benefit from a script improvement because there's definitely originality and potential there.

JRPGs are one of the only genre that haven't made categorical widescale improvements over their predecessors in terms of narrative, at least since the 16-bit era.

There, I said it.