By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Crap, the market is melting down badly again

Investors are just cautious to buy in a market right now. Give them time, and the bargain hunters will be on the prowl, and things will begin to take off.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
Investors are just cautious to buy in a market right now. Give them time, and the bargain hunters will be on the prowl, and things will begin to take off.

People were saying this when the dow was at 12000.

FishyJoe said:
mrstickball said:

People were saying this when the dow was at 12000.

And I'd assume since it continued to drop (thanks to the housing crisis and the Big 3 woes) they are even more cautious.

The times are trying - Obama is going to be our next president, and there are tons of economic concerns out there. It's no wonder the investors aren't putting cash into the market. There are other ways to invest, 'ya know.

Crap. And with the big 3 on the verge of collapse this could turn into another depression.

I'm hoping, it won't be that bad as a depression. I mean, unemployment here in the EU has risen only slightly (from an all time low 6 months ago mind you), the Economy has stopped growing but at least we are no more richer or poor then last year... I'm still having confidence.

The fact that I had two job-offers this week also helped quite nicely. People are still willing to hire and first reports state that there will still be enough spending in december.

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

Around the Network
FishyJoe said:
Simulacrum said:
the down is down 7500 ...

Fine, I don't get this..

It was a typo.

I'm kind of suprised how little discussion there is about this. We are on the edge of a depression that hasn't been seen in any of our lifetimes. Unless there are 80+ year old people on VGChartz.

Probably because most of us aren't affected. My family doesn't have any debt. we never spent more than we had, so we're doing just fine.

Thing is, this recession/depression-esque news is merely punishment for stupid people.

The housing crisis was/is caused by a bunch of ignorant prospective homeowners buying houses and living well beyond their means.

The Big 3 crisis was/is caused by decades of incompetence by protected American automakers.

It'll work itself out.

Like I said, this hasn't hit main street YET. You may not feel the effects NOW. And even if you have no debt and have done everything right, that still does not make you immune. I'm not saying that people won't or can't do well, but you're really knocking on wood when you say things will be fine and everything. Maybe it will be, but you never know.

I have a feeling a the people who say things will be fine have never actually lived through a bad recession. Saying it will work itself out sounds good on paper, but we really don't know how bad it's going to be and for how long. It could be a decade before we see a real recovery or it could be next year.

Things will be fine for people with non economical jobs.
people in the financial sector are screwed.

But the dow is just an index you know, things like employment and investments aren't based on it

relax and enjoy the ride

if you got stocks

scream WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

cause your fucked

FishyJoe said:
Like I said, this hasn't hit main street YET. You may not feel the effects NOW. And even if you have no debt and have done everything right, that still does not make you immune. I'm not saying that people won't or can't do well, but you're really knocking on wood when you say things will be fine and everything. Maybe it will be, but you never know.

Well, you're basically answering your own question, in a way. The reason we haven't heard much about the recession on VGChartz YET is because it isn't affecting many of us YET.

Personally, I know I'll be one of the last to feel this recession. If you ever see a thread made by me on this site saying I'm ****ed by the recession, you know all hell's broken loose. :P