By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto: Casual-Hardcore, his wife and Nintendo don't give freebies

The Ghost of RubangB said:
Squilliam said:
Miyamoto is a great husband and a great dreamer and the industry is growing in leaps and bounds because of it. Without the Wii, this generation is shrinking compared to the last one.

Im pretty sure it wouldn't be.

Why?  I didn't own a 6th gen console and wasn't going to get a 7th gen console until I saw the Wii remote commercial.

I guarantee that if there wasn't a Wii, I wouldn't own a console.  I've said this many times before, but it's always appropriate:

"It used to be Nintendo or Sega.  Now it's Nintendo or nothing."

I only like my gaming systems to come from gaming companies, not giant conglomerate super-corporations that are trying to own every device in my living room.

Its quite simple. You can prove that without Nintendo the industry wouldn't have grown by as much, but you cannot prove it would actually shrink.

You know tobacco companies said that the U.S economy would shrink without them too.

Tease.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
Squilliam said:
Miyamoto is a great husband and a great dreamer and the industry is growing in leaps and bounds because of it. Without the Wii, this generation is shrinking compared to the last one.

Why?  I didn't own a 6th gen console and wasn't going to get a 7th gen console until I saw the Wii remote commercial.

I guarantee that if there wasn't a Wii, I wouldn't own a console.  I've said this many times before, but it's always appropriate:

I only like my gaming systems to come from gaming companies, not giant conglomerate super-corporations that are trying to own every device in my living room.

Its quite simple. You can prove that without Nintendo the industry wouldn't have grown by as much, but you cannot prove it would actually shrink.

You know tobacco companies said that the U.S economy would shrink without them too.

Well tobacco relies more on addiction than gaming does.

If it wasn't for Nintendo, this generation wouldn't have had a gaming system under $300 for a long time.

If it wasn't for Nintendo, this generation wouldn't have games under $60 for a while either.

And if it wasn't for Nintendo, there wouldn't be an entirely new market way bigger than the old one.

Most importantly, if it wasn't for Nintendo, they wouldn't be playing video games on Oprah, Ellen, and at the Academy Awards.

Remember, the PS2 wasn't just competing in this generation for a while, it was outselling both the 360 and the PS3 for a looong loooong time because the upgrade to HD wasn't worth the cost for tons of people.  If you add the Wii sales to the PS2 sales that took place after the Wii launched, that's over half the console sales this generation.  The majority of people didn't want to jump to HD.

Heh. I thought the title was saying that Miyamoto's wife doesn't give freebies.

ramuji
www.ramuji.com
Nintendo Network ID: ramuji
Wii Friend Code: 8543-1141-9403-8457
3DS Friend Code: 1633-4130-0140
PS3 ID: ramuji_69

Squilliam said:
Squilliam said:

Well tobacco relies more on addiction than gaming does.

If it wasn't for Nintendo, this generation wouldn't have had a gaming system under $300 for a long time.

If it wasn't for Nintendo, this generation wouldn't have games under $60 for a while either.

And if it wasn't for Nintendo, there wouldn't be an entirely new market way bigger than the old one.

Most importantly, if it wasn't for Nintendo, they wouldn't be playing video games on Oprah, Ellen, and at the Academy Awards.

Remember, the PS2 wasn't just competing in this generation for a while, it was outselling both the 360 and the PS3 for a looong loooong time because the upgrade to HD wasn't worth the cost for tons of people.  If you add the Wii sales to the PS2 sales that took place after the Wii launched, that's over half the console sales this generation.  The majority of people didn't want to jump to HD.

It still doesn't prove that without the Wii the generation would be smaller than the last. The PS2 would have sold more, the Xbox 360/PS3 would have sold more etc. It may not have been as large, but its pretty far fetched to say it would have been smaller.

Im also pretty sure that with additional sales of hardware and software the cost and price of the HD consoles would have come down faster as well.

Tease.