By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I'm puzzled by the "This is the best game ever" and 10/10 flood of late.

This is the best thread ever!

Around the Network

Yeah,
Heh
MGS4 = best game this gen?
when the gen isn't even half over? (to whoever has that sig, you're a joke)
Oh, and those guys who make threads on how Killzone 2 is the best game ever.
Ever?
It always seems like the PS3 fanboys though...
I never hear 360 owners saying Gears 2 the best game ever/this gen/shooter...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyLhpUPNPIs

360 IS OPERATIONAL AFTER 37 DAYS!

bugrimmar said:
everyone seems to be commenting on the 10/10 thing. well i've already issued my position on it, and i don't really want to repeat myself.

anyway, what about the other points that i mentioned? those are far worse offenses than 10/10. no comments on those? :P

Look man I put a lot of effort into that post the least you can do is acknowledge it.

i acknowledge your post and i simply don't agree. i already gave my position and i'm not about to change it. if i comment further, it'll just be a repetition of what i said already. but yeah, thank you for posting that. it might give some people who read this thread some insight. I however, stick with my position. 10/10 just should not exist, especially with games that are obviously inherently flawed.

bugrimmar said:
i acknowledge your post and i simply don't agree. i already gave my position and i'm not about to change it. if i comment further, it'll just be a repetition of what i said already. but yeah, thank you for posting that. it might give some people who read this thread some insight. I however, stick with my position. 10/10 just should not exist, especially with games that are obviously inherently flawed.

But why? If that's tthe case, why does the 10 score even exist? Why are there scores at all if they can't be achieved?

Around the Network

it shouldn't exist. that's the point. today's review standards are simply tools for overhyping.

again, if i give something a 10, i'm saying games can no longer be better than this. and that is a gross overstatement and nothing more than hype.

bugrimmar said:
it shouldn't exist. that's the point. today's review standards are simply tools for overhyping.

again, if i give something a 10, i'm saying games can no longer be better than this. and that is a gross overstatement and nothing more than hype.

That's not how reviews work, though. That's not what reviews are. Reviews are not grades. They are statements of tiers of quality.

Its called METAL GEAR SOLID 4, its not PERFECT, but its an amazing experience, the best gaming experience*ive ever had* might I add.

mM
BottledSpringWater said:
Yeah,
Heh
MGS4 = best game this gen?
when the gen isn't even half over? (to whoever has that sig, you're a joke)
Oh, and those guys who make threads on how Killzone 2 is the best game ever.
Ever?
It always seems like the PS3 fanboys though...
I never hear 360 owners saying Gears 2 the best game ever/this gen/shooter...

Why dont you go on to other gaming forums such as GT, and GS?

vgchartz has an abysmal amount of 360 owners compared to those sites.

mM

bug, you are trying to introduce an objective measurement into something that is by definition subjective.

Lets put it this way, who can say that a story is perfect? what makes a story perfect? i have seen people both love and hate the same exact book more times that i can count.

The current review scale is not meant to objectively show anything because it is impossible to do it otherwise. Reviews are opinions, no matter how objective you try to be, there will always be biases. Hell i have seen people complain about left 4 dead because it doesnt have the best graphics or the most revolutionary gameplay mechanics. And yet people love it because it is fun. Where does fun fall into your perfect scale bug?

Another thing that you have emphasized, is that if there is a glitch then the game should not get the 10 out 10 score. What about patches? And what about PC games where a glitch may arise from simple incompatibility of hardware?

I agree that there should not be many 10 out of 10 scores but you have a wrong assumption about what this score implies. You think that it implies perfection, while it is impossible to even say what perfection is. If a score cannot be achieved, then there is no point in having it. If it irks you so much then pretend that the actual scale is 11, so all of those games that get 10's are actually 10's out of 11's.

Proud owner of the following gaming devices:

PC, XBox 360, Wii, PS2, DS, PS3