By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wow.... how can two sites be so opposed?

LordTheNightKnight said:
Khuutra said:
I think the more disturbing trend here is that people expect reviewers to all generally agree with each other. Nobody asks questions when movie reviewers deviate from the standard reaction - why do gamers treat their medium differently?

Movie reviewers have this reputation of being elitist snobs. Game reviewers don't have that reputation yet, so people expect their reviews to fit the mainstream. With the Wii, that is throwing everything off.

Michael Bay's Transformers got slammed to Hell and gone by the critics in general. Roger Ebert, the greatest critical voice in cinema today, called it a four-star movie simply because it fulfilled what it was trying to do. He deviated from the mean and median opinions so far he's practically in another country. Nobody says anything.

This demand that game reviewers all think alike is bizarre and worrisome and has been so for years.

Around the Network

Not everyone has the same opinions. Not everyone has to like Waggle controls, I know I don't for most of the Wii games. Some do work great however

Khuutra said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Khuutra said:
I think the more disturbing trend here is that people expect reviewers to all generally agree with each other. Nobody asks questions when movie reviewers deviate from the standard reaction - why do gamers treat their medium differently?

Movie reviewers have this reputation of being elitist snobs. Game reviewers don't have that reputation yet, so people expect their reviews to fit the mainstream. With the Wii, that is throwing everything off.

Michael Bay's Transformers got slammed to Hell and gone by the critics in general. Roger Ebert, the greatest critical voice in cinema today, called it a four-star movie simply because it fulfilled what it was trying to do. He deviated from the mean and median opinions so far he's practically in another country. Nobody says anything.

This demand that game reviewers all think alike is bizarre and worrisome and has been so for years.

Agreed. This is why people who follow Metacritic for example to me miss out, you have to read the reviews, not go by a score. A slam by them many not be a slam to you. Animal Crossing:CF & Tales of Symphonia 2, although they are minor upgrade, if you read the reviews they still offer the same fun that made them popular. =/

The Interweb is about overreaction, this is what makes it great!

...Imagine how boring the interweb would be if everyone thought logically?

Khuutra said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Khuutra said:

You missed my point. Movie reviewers are considered snobs, so they aren't paid attention to that much, so not that many notice the deviations enough to care.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
Khuutra said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Khuutra said:

You missed my point. Movie reviewers are considered snobs, so they aren't paid attention to that much, so not that many notice the deviations enough to care.

Hardcore movie fans notice. It's odd, but it's true: they do exist, equivalent to us, viewing cinema as we view our consoles.

But this is true in every other form of review, too. Music reviews, book reviews, movie reviews, car magazine summaries, whatever you want. Standardized opinion isn't demanded anywhere except in video games. What I am talking about is the fact that video game fans demand that reviewers all think alike, as if there is some objective standard to adhere to. That's worrisome.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Khuutra said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Khuutra said:

Hardcore movie fans notice. It's odd, but it's true: they do exist, equivalent to us, viewing cinema as we view our consoles.

But this is true in every other form of review, too. Music reviews, book reviews, movie reviews, car magazine summaries, whatever you want. Standardized opinion isn't demanded anywhere except in video games. What I am talking about is the fact that video game fans demand that reviewers all think alike, as if there is some objective standard to adhere to. That's worrisome.

As far as I can figure, game reviewers tend to be more in line with mainstream sales more often than other media. This has been the case for years. It's not always so (licensed games are a big outlier for this), but often enough that people think game reviewers are part of the mainstream. Even more importantly, there is a perception of concensus for the last few generations. Even if Okami didn't sell well, there appeared to be a consensus.

It's just that with the Wii throwing this off, there's a lot of confusion about what reviewers should and shouldn't like.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

I'm saying that the idea that they "should or shouldn't like" anything is tremendously counter-productive.

Khuutra said:

Whoa, now.  Ebert gave Transformers three stars.  Just sayin'.  :)

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

Did he? My bad! My bad.

Khuutra said:
I'm saying that the idea that they "should or shouldn't like" anything is tremendously counter-productive.

You also seemed to be asking why, and I was answering that.

As for counterproductive, it's not. It's just plain old whining.