By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Happy Birthday Half-Life! Only $0.98 on Steam!!!!

tabsina said:
Anyone know how big the download file would be? (Living in Australia means limited downloads, so despite the cheap price i want to make sure i'll be able to allocate enough for it)

Mine was 708MB (I just downloaded it).

So far, I have to say this game isn't a lot of fun. I haven't really gotten to the fighting yet though. Hopefully it improves (as right now, it's almost as big a dissapointment as Starcraft).

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Around the Network
Oyvoyvoyv said:
tabsina said:
Anyone know how big the download file would be? (Living in Australia means limited downloads, so despite the cheap price i want to make sure i'll be able to allocate enough for it)

So far, I have to say this game isn't a lot of fun. I haven't really gotten to the fighting yet though. Hopefully it improves (as right now, it's almost as big a dissapointment as Starcraft).

Take it slow. You are supposed to take in the atmosphere like long sips of cool water. If you just run around looking for things to do you're missing the point of the early game. Relax. Take it easy. It's good... just let it do what it needs to do to set up the blocks. Admire the construction.

(this is me being calm, I consider Half-Life's opening the best in pretty much any game)

Khuutra said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:
tabsina said:

Take it slow. You are supposed to take in the atmosphere like long sips of cool water. If you just run around looking for things to do you're missing the point of the early game. Relax. Take it easy. It's good... just let it do what it needs to do to set up the blocks. Admire the construction.

(this is me being calm, I consider Half-Life's opening the best in pretty much any game)

I guess that this is a bit because I played it 10 years later. When a person looked at this in 98, he surely thought how amazing it looked and was impressed by the atmosphere and such, like I was with Half-Life 2.

On HL1, it just looked a bit dull, and as I cannot get any dang subtitles (is there a way to?) I had a bit of a problem understanding stuff and such.

When that reactor thingy goes off for instance, the noise was so loud, what I heard people say made no sense.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

There are no subtitles.

You're past the opening, then.

Yeah, proper speakers or a headset are a necessity here. The screaming is pretty clear... I'm not sure what the problem is.

Khuutra said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:
tabsina said:

I became incredibly thirsty after reading that post..

@Oyvoyvoyv: thanks, that should be fine for me to download

Around the Network

Wow.......thats freaking cheap.

Still Im not into PC gaming and FPS even less.=/

This game isn't just a First Person Shooter. I'm sick of those too. Half-Life 1 is more like a First Person Revolution or a First Person Way of Life.

Oyvoyvoyv said:
Khuutra said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:
tabsina said:

I guess that this is a bit because I played it 10 years later. When a person looked at this in 98, he surely thought how amazing it looked and was impressed by the atmosphere and such, like I was with Half-Life 2.

On HL1, it just looked a bit dull, and as I cannot get any dang subtitles (is there a way to?) I had a bit of a problem understanding stuff and such.

When that reactor thingy goes off for instance, the noise was so loud, what I heard people say made no sense.

When I played Half-life in '98, it completely redefined the idea of an FPS. Story-driven, no cut-scenes, only first person, awesome graphics (that actually look ok today, compared to a lot of other 3d games released around that time)... controls smooth as I don't care to mention what, smart enemies, lip sync, alternate fire etc. Basically, Half-Life was the first modern FPS, and it completely blew my mind.

Playing it today however, I can see how you would react. If you've played Half-Life 2 you will have nothing to find here, except some really nice battles with the commandos. And those are mostly fun because of the pacing, not the awesomeness of the battles themselves. So Oyvoyvoyv, I'm sorry. You missed the awesomeness that is Half-Life, and can probably never get it back :(

This is invisible text!

I just bought it. The deal of the ages.

C'mon people, this is your last chance to purchase an amazing game for just $1. BUY IT NOW!!!

I've been playing it most of the night but at random times, the cd in my disk drive just starts randomly playing. And not even in order, like all the sudden track 4 starts playing, after its done and about 10 mins later track 1 starts playing.

Has anyone gotten a problem like that?

Hi, this is Vince with Shamwow.