By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Quad-core? 80-core is the future

NJ5 said:

Not all kinds of programs can take advantage of this. And, of course, Amdahl's law still applies.

And some algorithms can't even be parallized, but anyway ppl usually misuse Amdahl's law and make others believe that you can get only 20x speed up max with any amount of cores. Actually with massive amount of cores/processors you can get insane speed ups.

http://www.scl.ameslab.gov/Publications/Gus/AmdahlsLaw/Amdahls.html

Around the Network

Sun has had a chip with 8 cores that can run 64 threads at a time for over a year. You can get a nice system with 4 of of these chips for $130,000.

Intel is just trying to catch up on the high end. I would expect them to only be at about 64 in 2010, unless they drastically shrink some of the pipeling and multipath execution that each core does, so that a single threaded task would be noticible slower but overall system performance would be higher.

@Deneidez: Thanks for the link, interesting article. I'll give it some thought later, I wonder how many problems can take advantage of that approach. There are also diminishing returns when increasing resolution, depending on the problem of course.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

ssj12 said:
lawl

Just because Intel made an 80-core processors does not mean it will be in mass production anywhere within the next 20 - 30 years.

I am willing to make a bet that they will be. You're talking 20-30 years. I'm thinking give it less than a decade at the pace everything is going right now.

I think quad cores will become common place by late 2009 and probably 8 cores 2 yrs after. 80 cores.. atleast 10 years though...and thats probably gonna cost an arm leg and a kidney

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

Around the Network
arsenicazure said:
I think quad cores will become common place by late 2009 and probably 8 cores 2 yrs after. 80 cores.. atleast 10 years though...and thats probably gonna cost an arm leg and a kidney

How about octa cores about by late 2010? After all they are coming in second half of 2009. :)

http://www.hardware.info/en-US/news/ymiclJqRwpuacJY/Octacore_Nehalem_in_second_half_2009/

Also afaik apple has offered octa core systems for their mac book pros for two years already.

Heres some benchmarks about that octa core system,

http://reviews.cnet.com/4531-10921_7-6663792.html?tag=subnav

ssj12 said:
lawl

Just because Intel made an 80-core processors does not mean it will be in mass production anywhere within the next 20 - 30 years.

Hmm. isn't that the chip Intel showed two years ago? And that isn't an 80 core processor, it is a dye with 80 coprocessor units linked together (probably to test various interconnection capabilies/strategies). Cool if you want to calculate, say, 80 sinuses in parallel, but definitley not an 80 processor chip...