By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - IF PS3 had 320MB RAM, would be the king

Zquk, you are wrong, the PS3 has 256mb for RAm and 256MB for graph, the X360 is 512mb for all...

PSN: franco-br
MGS4, GH, MW2, GT5p, WipeoutHD, etc..etc..

Around the Network
Zkuq said:
kibebr said:
Noo, i am saying 320MB of RAM + 250MB of Video... not decreasing from 512 to 320!

The PS3 has 512 MB of shared memory to use as RAM and for the RSX unlike the 360 which has 256 MB RAM and 256 MB for the graphics chip.  768 MB might have been just good but 1 GB could have been already too much... Besides, the type of memory the PS3 uses isn't what common PCs use; it's less used and thus, I believe, much more expensive. It's faster. That's why I think they didn't put very much memory in the first place (in addition to the price).

You reversed that the 360 has 512mb of shared memory and the PS3 has fixed 256 for each.

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

Zkuq said:
kibebr said:
Noo, i am saying 320MB of RAM + 250MB of Video... not decreasing from 512 to 320!

The PS3 has 512 MB of shared memory to use as RAM and for the RSX unlike the 360 which has 256 MB RAM and 256 MB for the graphics chip.  768 MB might have been just good but 1 GB could have been already too much... Besides, the type of memory the PS3 uses isn't what common PCs use; it's less used and thus, I believe, much more expensive. It's faster. That's why I think they didn't put very much memory in the first place (in addition to the price).

@Zkuq,

I see you read something. The only problem is that you memorize it wrong

Now change PS3 with 360 and next time check before posting!!!

It's already plenty powerfull. It just needs more games and some developers to push it. There's already amazing stuff on the console, and more to come.

do you think quality will get better over time?

Around the Network
Zkuq said:
kibebr said:

Not that I want in on this thread, but just to point out your wrong on 360.

It has shared 512mb. So the dev can choose to use however much it needs at anytime for either GPU or CPU. For instace if the GPU needs to use 350mb the dev can write the engine to do so. Or divide up any way they want.

kibebr said:
do you think quality will get better over time?

Definately.

Once the programmers start learning all the little tricks and tips some stunning things "should" be possible.

It all depends on whether the programmers and devs find all the troublesome fiddling worthwhile...I'm kinda hoping they do.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

wooow, I hope soooo

Squilliam said:
If it had used 320mb of ram then it would have likely required to use a 192bit bus to address that memory and thats something which would have kept the costs much higher over the lifetime of the machine and cost them hundreds of millions of dollars just from the extra cost of the motherboard.

This.

The last thing the PS3's architechture needed was to be more expensive. 

If I had a ferrari I would be the king.