By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What's the point of cell?

NJ5 said:
@radha: Your post was going well until you said this:

Flops it the real measure for processors

No, it's only one of the important measures, and it's usually used as an indicator of peak performance. Real-world performance (as in most things other than benchmarks) is not always indicated by peak performance.

Please explain because i want to know if is not calculations (computations),  what is more important in a processor?

EDit: processor alone not the overal system.

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

Around the Network

did i win the thread with my last response or what?

I'd say it was IBM agreeing to use the CBE in the PS3 that was pulling the Trojan Horse strategy.

For Sony, it was putting a Blu-Ray drive in the homes of gamers/AV enthusiasts.

Think of it from IBM's POV: what better way to introduce a new type of processor to the public than to have it be one of the core technologies of a next gen gaming console; a highly visible piece of consumer electronics, complete with its own consumer level marketing?

You have automatic third party development for the CPU platform taking place because of this, and eventually examples of commercial software available to showcase the abilities of the processor.

I don't think IBM would be able to sell (and continue R&D) the architecture effectively if it were only being used for commercial and industrial uses (medical imagery equipment, computing clusters/supercomputers, etc.).

You wouldn't be able to sell it to computer manufacturers because it would not be optimal as an alternative to the AMD/Intel hardware platforms, so a enclosed architecture like a game console makes perfect sense.

It does however show promise as a Linux box, if only a box with more memory than the PS3 were to be made available.

And I'm sure Sony was only all too happy to use the CBE in their "next gen" machine from both a marketing standpoint as well as for its potential for next gen applications.

radha said:

Anyway when you say PS3 or cell are not better than a PC, I don’t know what you mean, do you mean a Alienware ALX X-58 with cores Extreme, dual 2GB GDDR5 ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 with CrossFireX and Quad GPU Technology and 12GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 6 x 2048MB? well you are right but that is a US$4,199.00 PC.

Define 'better'... If you use 4 years old PC(Lets say athlon 3200+) and put new GPU($100-$200) and maybe more/better memory($30-$80) in it, it will outperform PS3 and X360 in multiplatform games. :)

radha said:
NJ5 said:

No, it's only one of the important measures, and it's usually used as an indicator of peak performance. Real-world performance (as in most things other than benchmarks) is not always indicated by peak performance.

Please explain because i want to know if is not calculations (computations), what is more important in a processor?

Eh, its not all about floating points... :D
Some hints,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out-of-order_execution

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instructions_per_second

Deneidez said:
radha said:

Anyway when you say PS3 or cell are not better than a PC, I don’t know what you mean, do you mean a Alienware ALX X-58 with cores Extreme, dual 2GB GDDR5 ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 with CrossFireX and Quad GPU Technology and 12GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 6 x 2048MB? well you are right but that is a US$4,199.00 PC.

Define 'better'... If you use 4 years old PC(Lets say athlon 3200+) and put new GPU($100-$200) and maybe more/better memory($30-$80) in it, it will outperform PS3 and X360 in multiplatform games. :)

That's what am saying, the op said that the ps3 should be better than a PC, so im asking what pc and put that one as an example of a pc that outperforms the ps3. So you are asking me what i asked him.

Edit: i think i know what you mean, but anyway even if you put a new card on an old pc you have to take into account the original invesment in its time frame that is if the pc was US$300(plus interest due to inflation) when you bough it and add US$280, so is a better choice to get a console.

Hey Listen!

Around the Network
radha said:
NJ5 said:

Please explain because i want to know if is not calculations (computations), what is more important in a processor?

There are other very important things like cache size (doesn't necessarily affect the FLOPS), integer performance, branch/pipeline performance.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
radha said:
NJ5 said:

There are other very important things like cache size (doesn't necessarily affect the FLOPS), integer performance, branch/pipeline performance.

Deneidez too

Yes but you are talkin about the system with all the periferals i was talking about the microprocessor alone.

Edit: i was trying to explain from an electronic point of view, am use to buying microprocessor for specific applications and i buy the periferal that i need for the app am gonna use it

Hey Listen!

radha said:
NJ5 said:

Yes but you are talkin about the system with all the periferals i was talking about the microprocessor alone.

No, all the things I listed only pertain to the CPU (assuming I was referring to the internal cache, which I was).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

You'd probably be CPU bound for the most hardware intense apps.

It would make more sense to just start with a more current CPU/MoBo capable of utilizing faster RAM in addition to the current VGA card.

In effect; it would be better to just start with a fresh build for all purposes other than to grandfather components in the interest of saving a few Benjamins.

NJ5 said:
radha said:
NJ5 said:

No, all the things I listed only pertain to the CPU (assuming I was referring to the internal cache, which I was).

Well, same goes for my answer. Theres no instruction fairies that calculate integer stuff and booleans. Also iOE & OoOE are part of CPU architecture.