By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3.5 and XBOX540

theprof00 said:
No I said that the ps3.540 would be as capable of playing ps430 games as ps360 is of playing ps360 games.

I have to agree with Rol where this is getting stupid...what's the point in having a console out that can do everything that a new console coming out in 3-4 years can do?  I really see this as an utter waste of money.  Theres no simpler way to put it.  So the PS420 can do the exact same thing, just a little quicker?  When I say theres no point in this..I mean there is absolutely NO POINT IN THIS.  Sorry dude..this is just sounding worse and worse.

Around the Network

Rol I think you are really underestimating everything I'm talking about.
Your first paragraph is right on the money, but who are you to say that nobody would buy it.
besides those features, it would have no mandatory installs, no slowdown, no slowdowns for some games that are really pushing the ps360 limits, better connectivity, better online etc etc

"Now by the time PS420 is launched, game developers would be allowed to harness the power of the PS3.540, but then the PS420 would be the worthless systems, because game developers wouldn't be allowed to to use the power of the PS420, otherwise the PS3.540 wouldn't be forward compatible anymore."

exactly, the ps420 would be not the great leap that the ps360 was this generation, but it would be capable of playing all games with no slowdown, no loading, no installs, and better everything. And on top of that, devs would have experience working with the architecture well before the system comes out.

You get what I'm saying but you aren't thinking about the positives, only the negatives.

This would be a way to get a 2-3 year jump on a competitor, have a console release of 50+ games, and already have had a big enough graphical difference in the ps3.540 capability possible, that the ps420 LOOKS like it is a next-gen ps420. Understand? The ps3.540 would already be capable of delivering really sweet graphics, but nobody would know it, this would only show up in its performance on ps360 games. Then when ps420 comes out. ps420 will be touted as the next-gen system even though people are basically playing ps3.540 games.

Phrancheyez said:
theprof00 said:
No I said that the ps3.540 would be as capable of playing ps430 games as ps360 is of playing ps360 games.

I have to agree with Rol where this is getting stupid...what's the point in having a console out that can do everything that a new console coming out in 3-4 years can do?  I really see this as an utter waste of money.  Theres no simpler way to put it.  So the PS420 can do the exact same thing, just a little quicker?  When I say theres no point in this..I mean there is absolutely NO POINT IN THIS.  Sorry dude..this is just sounding worse and worse.

Ok look this is the situation as is it today:

HD Consoles have negatives (I'm just going to use this term in place for a list of things like loadtimes, slowdown, blah blah blah.)
This is not casual friendly, and things could be a lot better.

So, you introduce a new console but not as a new console, just as a rolls royce model 100-200 dollars more. This system completely eliminates all console negatives. Imagine gaming the way it was back on cartridges, instant play time, no install, nothing, play within 10 seconds of pressing power.

That is pretty cool, I think a lot of people would like something like that.

Then you release ps4, which is completely different in make and model, look and controller. however, it is playing ps3.540 games, the bonus of that is that the PS420 would not have the console negatives either, whereas the ps3.540 would have the negatives that ps360 does right now.

Gamers have lived with those negative for a long time now and are used to them, having an intermediary system would simply allow the play of ps420, but without the new "standard" that gaming could be of no negatives....

The key to this is that gaming is at such a high level right now as it is, it is going to be difficult to improve them further. In fact it is going to be a monstrous task to improve the next gen as it was improved this gen. So, instead of wasting money on 600$ graphics cards you improve performance.

It does not need to be a next gen console now, just a better intermediary console.

RolStoppable said:
theprof00 said:

Rol I think you are really underestimating everything I'm talking about.
Your first paragraph is right on the money, but who are you to say that nobody would buy it.
besides those features, it would have no mandatory installs, no slowdown, no slowdowns for some games that are really pushing the ps360 limits, better connectivity, better online etc etc

"Now by the time PS420 is launched, game developers would be allowed to harness the power of the PS3.540, but then the PS420 would be the worthless systems, because game developers wouldn't be allowed to to use the power of the PS420, otherwise the PS3.540 wouldn't be forward compatible anymore."

exactly, the ps420 would be not the great leap that the ps360 was this generation, but it would be capable of playing all games with no slowdown, no loading, no installs, and better everything. And on top of that, devs would have experience working with the architecture well before the system comes out.

You get what I'm saying but you aren't thinking about the positives, only the negatives.

This would be a way to get a 2-3 year jump on a competitor, have a console release of 50+ games, and already have had a big enough graphical difference in the ps3.540 capability possible, that the ps420 LOOKS like it is a next-gen ps420. Understand? The ps3.540 would already be capable of delivering really sweet graphics, but nobody would know it, this would only show up in its performance on ps360 games. Then when ps420 comes out. ps420 will be touted as the next-gen system even though people are basically playing ps3.540 games.

May I remind you of the bolded and underlined sentence in your OP?

However, game manufacturers would be required to use the ps360 as the standard so that new games didn't go beyond the capabilites of the ps360.

So meeting this requirement how could PS3.540 have better framerates and better online? You said yourself that game manufacturers wouldn't be allowed to make games that go beyond the capabilities of the PS360.

Also, how would the online play be handled between a PS360 user and a PS3.540 user? The latter would have an advantage going by your words of having better framerates and better online which likely means no lag.

Now it's time for you to finally admit that your thread is totally stupid!

Because the hardware would be better. ROL LISTEN. gamers are used to having slowdown and loadtimes. The ps3.540 would not have these, But the devs would not be allowed ot use ps3.540 as a base for making ps360 games.

So meeting this requirement how could PS3.540 have better framerates and better online? You said yourself that game manufacturers wouldn't be allowed to make games that go beyond the capabilities of the PS360.

Why don't you ask yourself and figure it out, it's painfully obvious.

Better framerate b/c better video card and processor
Better Online because of better card

What is the problem? The hardware would all be better, but devs would not be allowed to use said hardware as a game's base.....

In the end of the day, all this would do is eliminate all of the things we consider negative about HD consoles.

I'm sure this is going to end in a "Well, your OP was so badly worded" comment, even though it is exactly what I've been saying this whole time.

Around the Network

The arguments remain the same, the lack of understanding switches to many different topics that then need to be explained for the hard of hearing.

Rol, all I'm saying is that I would love a console that played like my old snes in terms of speed. Is that "stupid" rol?
your argument is less than paper thin other than "That's not good at all"

This whole scenario is ignorant of the speed in which technology is developed. To set the technological limits of a next gen console several years before it's release is just silly. It sounds like you'd like a next gen console with backwards compatibility today and this is an excuse for why they could release it so early.

Also, there's going to be load times no matter what. You can increase the bus speed, but you'll always still be limited by the media. At this time, you're not going to spin a DVD any faster and it's too expensive to increase the speed of BluRay (at this time of course). That's where installs come in, as hard drives have a much faster seek time and a much faster load time. Textures don't magically appear in memory. They have to be loaded from the media and transferred. The media is the bottleneck.

PS - I don't know if any of this was mentioned. I got bored of reading without giving my input ;).

noslodecoy said:
This whole scenario is ignorant of the speed in which technology is developed. To set the technological limits of a next gen console several years before it's release is just silly. It sounds like you'd like a next gen console with backwards compatibility today and this is an excuse for why they could release it so early.

Also, there's going to be load times no matter what. You can increase the bus speed, but you'll always still be limited by the media. At this time, you're not going to spin a DVD any faster and it's too expensive to increase the speed of BluRay (at this time of course). That's where installs come in, as hard drives have a much faster seek time and a much faster load time. Textures don't magically appear in memory. They have to be loaded from the media and transferred. The media is the bottleneck.

PS - I don't know if any of this was mentioned. I got bored of reading without giving my input ;).

You aren't technically setting the limits as much as you are just releasing the next gen console now. The next gen actual console would give the same kind of performance boost that the intermediary would see, but on next gen games.

And you are right, it is an excuse to release early. But we have seen how early releases can do a hell of a job on the market, ala 360.
As far as the load times, this would probably be more suited to the ps3 since the BR is much more capable of faster speeds even at this point in time. The ps3 currently has a 2xBR drive, currently there are 8x BR drives capable of >300Mbits/sec as opposed to ~80Mbits.

RolStoppable said:
theprof00 said:
Rol, all I'm saying is that I would love a console that played like my old snes in terms of speed. Is that "stupid" rol?
your argument is less than paper thin other than "That's not good at all"

Actually my argument is "That makes no sense at all".

nice how you didn't answer it at all.