By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - NPD numbers: 360 is their best bet.

ssj12 said:
here is the hole in this, most developers are using the PS3 as the main dev platform now for multiplatform games.

Most?  Can you provide some evidence to back up this claim?

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Around the Network
Jordahn said:
Oh, my... Yes, let's all take the worst territory the PS3 is doing in (N.A.) and preach this rhetorical doom and gloom to the entire world of software sales. And added to that with being released a year later than the 360, doubling as a quality Blu-ray player, and being the most expensive console on the market; a 2:1 ratio 360:PS3 software sold according to this site is good worldwide however you see it with the PS3 about 75% of the 360's marketshare. That's the big picture with 3rd party developers still heavly supporting the PS3.

No, a 4:3 ratio 360:PS3 would be good because it would mean parity.  The games cost the same so ceteris paribus they should sell proportionally the same. 

The problem is, all else is not equal, and apparently 360 owners purchase more SW per capita, hence the title saying 360 is the best bet for 3rd party devs.  Of course multiplat is the best bet for the developer, but not all devs have the manpower/resources for multiplat development.  This is where we will see the difference.

Electronic Arts and Activision Blizzard disagree with the article: PC is a much bigger money maker than X360 or any other platform.

Activision Blizzard's last quarter revenue:
PC: 46%
All Consoles: 42%

leo-j said:
Well isnt it due to the fact that the 360 has a 14million install base in the U.S?

the ps3 has a 6 million?

your point? console sales to affect software sales, but it ain't publishers fault.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

JaggedSac said:
Well, it was all doom and gloom for the 360 until about 3/4 months ago.

Hey! You have a memory that stretches further than last week. You're not allowed to use internet forums.

Around the Network
shio said:
Electronic Arts and Activision Blizzard disagree with the article: PC is a much bigger money maker than X360 or any other platform.

That may be true, but it tells an incomplete story.  A huge chunk of that is from WoW, and while there's nothing wrong with that I do not want every company putting out WoW clones trying to cash in on the success.  It's a business model that works for Blizzard but may not work for other companies.

sinha said:
ssj12 said:
here is the hole in this, most developers are using the PS3 as the main dev platform now for multiplatform games.

EA, Activision, Atari, Midway, and a few others have announced before that they are or in the process of switching their main dev platform to the PS3. EA has already done it for their Sports titles, Activsion has had a few titles as PS3 as main or developed each game individually on each platform, Atari has made their multiplats with PS3 as main platform.

As long as the main publishers are demanding it dev teams owned by the publishers have to use the PS3 as main platform. \

Since EA and Activision own a large chunk of developers it is easy to say most developers are using the PS3 as main plat.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

De85 said:
shio said:

That may be true, but it tells an incomplete story.  A huge chunk of that is from WoW, and while there's nothing wrong with that I do not want every company putting out WoW clones trying to cash in on the success.  It's a business model that works for Blizzard but may not work for other companies.

Ea has proven PC is beyond profitable, if Valve, Epic, and many other developers havent already.., they posted nice profts of SPORE and a few other titles including Crysis.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

Strategyking92 said:
leo-j said:
Well isnt it due to the fact that the 360 has a 14million install base in the U.S?

the ps3 has a 6 million?

your point? console sales to affect software sales, but it ain't publishers fault.

we his point is that the US market isnt Sony's strongest market, it is the EU. Of course numbers will show positive sales for the 360 in the US while in the EU it will show positive for Sony.

ssj12 said:
sinha said:
ssj12 said:

EA, Activision, Atari, Midway, and a few others have announced before that they are or in the process of switching their main dev platform to the PS3. EA has already done it for their Sports titles, Activsion has had a few titles as PS3 as main or developed each game individually on each platform, Atari has made their multiplats with PS3 as main platform.

As long as the main publishers are demanding it dev teams owned by the publishers have to use the PS3 as main platform.

Since EA and Activision own a large chunk of developers it is easy to say most developers are using the PS3 as main plat.

Link?

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick