By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - NPD numbers: 360 is their best bet.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081116-npd-software-top-ten-list-the-360-is-a-publishers-best-bet.html

The trends are obvious. When it comes to the best-selling games month after month, the Wii and the Xbox 360 dominate. Digging a little deeper, however, and you can begin to see why the 360 is so enticing to third-party developers: 25 of the 34 games the Wii put on the list were published by Nintendo itself.

The Xbox 360, by contrast, charts many third-party games each month. Many different games. In almost every case where a multiplatform game was released on multiple consoles, the 360 version hit the charts while the PS3 version was either nowhere to be seen, or sold in far fewer numbers.

While the fights taking place under the top ten list are largely invisible to the public, it wouldn't be a surprise if these trends continued when looking at the top twenty, or even the top thirty. Sony lacks the ability to chart a wide array of blockbusters, and the publishers know it.

Around the Network

"The DS is just like the Wii in that Nintendo games do very well. The PS3 does fine with the ultra-huge releases, such as EA's sports games and a few exclusives, such as LittleBigPlanet and Metal Gear Solid 4, but publishers have to see what's so clear on the chart: the 360 sells many more games to many more people. "

Hence: one of the main reasons why 360 is getting those once Exclusive games from it's competitor.

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

This is very true, and in the future this will be the biggest hurdle for the PS3 to get over if it wants to pass up the 360 in worldwide sales. When a game like Bioshock and L4Dead releases a full year later or even 6 months later it hurts sales badly. Some will say I'll just buy it on my PC but not a lot of people have a PC that can play games at the level of the 360.

It kinda highlights the problem with Blu-Ray for Sony. The only market share the 360 can steal are the people who actually buy games, obviously people who want Blu-Ray aren't going to buy a 360. This holiday season can do nothing good for Sonys attach rate.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
It kinda highlights the problem with Blu-Ray for Sony. The only market share the 360 can steal are the people who actually buy games, obviously people who want Blu-Ray aren't going to buy a 360. This holiday season can do nothing good for Sonys attach rate.

True, I am a prime example of this as I don't have a Blu-Ray player, but if it becomes the standard and I need to buy one it will be the PS3. My gaming will be done on the 360 with the occasional but rare PS3 exclusive I can't get on the 360. Games like LBP don't interest me that much so I might get a used copy for really cheap in a year or so. There are a lot of people I know who carry this same Idea about the PS3

Around the Network
Passenger57 said:
Squilliam said:

True, I am a prime example of this as I don't have a Blu-Ray player, but if it becomes the standard and I need to buy one it will be the PS3. My gaming will be done on the 360 with the occasional but rare PS3 exclusive I can't get on the 360. Games like LBP don't interest me that much so I might get a used copy for really cheap in a year or so. 

The Major backers of Blu-Ray had a meeting on Friday, much was disscussed on what the out come will be after this holiday season.

There was talk about how Blu-Ray would do, many say if Blu-Ray doesn't shine this Holiday, many might back out, or just not devote so much into it.

There was an article about "Blu-Ray to save this Holiday" talking about some of it, looking for it now.

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

sega4life said:
Passenger57 said:
Squilliam said:

True, I am a prime example of this as I don't have a Blu-Ray player, but if it becomes the standard and I need to buy one it will be the PS3. My gaming will be done on the 360 with the occasional but rare PS3 exclusive I can't get on the 360. Games like LBP don't interest me that much so I might get a used copy for really cheap in a year or so. 

The Major backers of Blu-Ray had a meeting on Friday, much was disscussed on what the out come will be after this holiday season.

There was talk about how Blu-Ray would do, many say if Blu-Ray doesn't shine this Holiday, many might back out, or just not devote so much into it.

There was an article about "Blu-Ray to save this Holiday" talking about some of it, looking for it now.

Interesting stuff, I know I haven't exactly seen them flying off the shelves lately, even at the cheaper stores like Costco.

Basically, without knowing what games are charting, this could be misleading. (The only titles mentioned are Nintendo first-party ones).

Also, it is unclear if the second chart is talking about appearances or unique games. If it is unique games (which it might be, I found four games with five appearances for the Wii in looking at the time period in question), it would mean that most Xbox games chart for one month only. That means big opening sales but no legs.

Finally, top 10 sounds good. But as far as sales volume, top 25 in December may be the same as top 10 in June.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

I am one of those people who own a PS3 & 360 and I buy all my Multi-platform titles on the 360.  I'll buy the exclusives that interest me for the PS3, but I've definitely logged more hours watching Blu-ray movies on it than playing games.   I like my PS3.  I just prefer xbox live over the PSN network.

Passenger57 said:
Squilliam said:

True, I am a prime example of this as I don't have a Blu-Ray player, but if it becomes the standard and I need to buy one it will be the PS3. My gaming will be done on the 360 with the occasional but rare PS3 exclusive I can't get on the 360. Games like LBP don't interest me that much so I might get a used copy for really cheap in a year or so. There are a lot of people I know who carry this same Idea about the PS3

I'm pretty much in the same boat (expect LBP interests me).  IMO the 360's controller and XBL are difference makers over the ps3.  I'm sure i'll get a ps3 one day, but I can't see it ever being my main system of choice.