By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - would this be smart?

My older brother has a 360 premium, and he's planning on getting a 120GB hard drive and if I get a 360 core he'll give me the 20 gig hard drive for free, is that a smart move

Around the Network

no. your brother is getting ripped off for buying the 120g drive separately. Costs many times more than other 120g drives.

superchunk said:
no. your brother is getting ripped off for buying the 120g drive separately. Costs many times more than other 120g drives.

Don't forget it's a 2.5'' drive, those are more expensive... I don't think "many times more" is true, I doubt it's even twice as expensive as other 120GB 2.5'' drives.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

"Don't forget it's a 2.5'' drive, those are more expensive... I don't think "many times more" is true, I doubt it's even twice as expensive as other 120GB 2.5'' drives."

Yes, 2.5" hard drives are more expensive than 3.5" hard drives, but $180 for the 120gig hard drive is still VERY high. You can go to http://newegg.com and pick up a 160gig 2.5" hard drive for around $90-100. Microsoft tried to justify the price of their hard drives by saying a bunch of things but personally, I think the 20gig and 120gig hard drive prices are just a ripoff. The 2.5" 360 hard drive being more expensive looks even worse when you compare it to the PS3 being able to use pretty much any 2.5" hard drive as opposed to the 360.

Also, be forewarned that if he does get the 120 hard drive and orders that cable to transfer the data, it will copy all the data from the 20gig hard drive to the 120gig hard drive, but then erase everything from the 20gig hard drive after once it's finished.

Anyway, back onto the topic at hand. You'll be getting the 20gig hard drive for free when they normally cost $100, that's a good deal.

spartan004 said:
My older brother has a 360 premium, and he's planning on getting a 120GB hard drive and if I get a 360 core he'll give me the 20 gig hard drive for free, is that a smart move

Why does your brother want the 120GB hard drive?  Also you'll definitely notice a difference with your core with his 20gig harddrive since a lot of games use them as a cache which helps with load times.

Around the Network
Legend11 said:
spartan004 said:

Why does your brother want the 120GB hard drive? Also you'll definitely notice a difference with your core with his 20gig harddrive since a lot of games use them as a cache which helps with load times.

Where is a website that said that?? i never known that the Xbox 360 hard drive can help speed load times...O_O

he wants the bigger hard drive because he's running out of memory

Then its a good deal for you.

Get a core and grab his old 20gb HDD and dont look back.

As far as I know, non MS-HDDs don't work quite as good as the MS ones (in terms of compatibility due to the licensing software intergrated into the drive), so the 120gbs are good for the X360s, just real bad for your wallet.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.