By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
darthdevidem01 said:
excuse me but what is lay away?

A giant scam to make poor people buy stuff they can't afford.

Around the Network

Close to none.

ssj12 said:
bigjon said:

During the hard finacial times many store are going back to a lay a way service. What affect do you see this having on Holiday sales?

I think we will see the largest one week in history, the week before Cmas. Most lay a way programs reguire pickup by the 22nd or 23rd, meaning a crap load of sales taking place those days. Sales are not recorded until the product is paid for in full, also I do realize that some stores will not allow Electonics on Lay a way, but some do. Like My Sears does not, but my Walmart, Kmart, and Target do.

Since when does WalMart have Lay-A-Way. They removed it like 2 years ago for Site-To-Store.

They don't have Lay-away anymore?  I wonder why... it was so damn profitable for them when I worked there.

bigjon said:

During the hard finacial times many store are going back to a lay a way service. What affect do you see this having on Holiday sales?

I think we will see the largest one week in history, the week before Cmas. Most lay a way programs reguire pickup by the 22nd or 23rd, meaning a crap load of sales taking place those days. Sales are not recorded until the product is paid for in full, also I do realize that some stores will not allow Electonics on Lay a way, but some do. Like My Sears does not, but my Walmart, Kmart, and Target do.

I bought my wife's engagement ring using lay a way. I think it is a good system that got overshadowed by the vast availability in credit that the country had gotten used to. On to this season, with the way the market is, the layoffs, and the general uncertaintity, I do not believe that sales will be large, even if lay a way is brought back universally. Many people will have to get on board the "new" system quickly for it to have the level of success you described and people will have to be WILLING to spend (another thing that I don't see happening).

My prediction is low retail sales and lower than average game and console sales. The target demographic for christmas shopping is parents and relatives. These are where the extra sales come in. We have not seen many sales suffer yet in this industry because alot is driven by hardcore gamers, who will buy not matetr what. This is the crowd who buys mostly during the non holiday season. Since they are not the ones who buy the majority of christmas software and consoles, the bump from the holiday will be lower than normal. Thats my opinion.

Now Playing: The Witcher (PC)

Consoles Owned: NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, Game Boy, DS

Kasz216 said:
darthdevidem01 said:

No, thats credit cards. Lay a way lets you pay over time and then get the product when payments are finished. There is no interest. Credit cards let you buy and use at once, then charge lots of interest so you have trouble paying it back (that is if you have bad spending habits; smart spenders will  not have troubles regardless unless circumstances force it). Credit cards are what kills finances the most :P

Now Playing: The Witcher (PC)

Consoles Owned: NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, Game Boy, DS

Around the Network
Aiemond said:
Kasz216 said:
darthdevidem01 said:

No, thats credit cards. Lay a way lets you pay over time and then get the product when payments are finished. There is no interest. Credit cards let you buy and use at once, then charge lots of interest so you have trouble paying it back (that is if you have bad spending habits; smart spenders will  not have troubles regardless unless circumstances force it). Credit cards are what kills finances the most :P

However Layaway locks in the price of an object at the price it was at date.  By the time you have it paid off newer better models are out for the same cost in most cases... and having saved up the money properly would of got someone a better product.

I believe Wal-mart also had a penalty for people who didn't pay off their layaway.