By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - If you eat meat and believe in global warming you are a hypocrit.

twesterm said:
Kasz216 said:

Well that global warming is man-made anyway. All the non combustion fuel won't do crap if meat production stays the same... and bad news. Meat production is on the rise as more countries get richer, because well. Meat just tastes better.

Not forcing anyone to be a vegetarian. Just saying.... if you believe global warming is man made...(and care.) and eat meat. You're a hyporcrit.

http://www.commondreams.org/views07/0120-20.htm

So you're saying that we can't cut back on other things that cause global warning then?  Food is somewhat essential, SUV's aren't.

(Note that I don't give a crap about global warning but I just think your argument is silly)

yes but as I pointed out, cows are worse than SUVs. I hate the fact that people just pick on the motorist and blame everything on them, when in fact, heating your home is worse for the enviroment than driving 13000 miles a year.

Around the Network
Tispower1 said:
twesterm said:
Kasz216 said:

Well that global warming is man-made anyway. All the non combustion fuel won't do crap if meat production stays the same... and bad news. Meat production is on the rise as more countries get richer, because well. Meat just tastes better.

Not forcing anyone to be a vegetarian. Just saying.... if you believe global warming is man made...(and care.) and eat meat. You're a hyporcrit.

So you're saying that we can't cut back on other things that cause global warning then?  Food is somewhat essential, SUV's aren't.

(Note that I don't give a crap about global warning but I just think your argument is silly)

yes but as I pointed out, cows are worse than SUVs. I hate the fact that people just pick on the motorist and blame everything on them, when in fact, heating your home is worse for the enviroment than driving 13000 miles a year.

But as also pointed out, vegetarians' farts are worse than non-veg.'s farts for the environment. I suppose cows are even  worse, but probably not as much as studies conclude when they ignore this factor.

Well, at least the cows were "designed" to only eat vegetables, so is it possible that an equivalent amount of vegetarians emits even more methane and CO2 than a cow. I suppose this is not the case, but it would be interesting to see a quantitative study on that.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Tispower1 said:
twesterm said:
Kasz216 said:

I don't really care about this issue, but from a logical standpoint I have to intervene. I  think it's more about excess than actual percentile harm done. A person that is driving a H2 two blocks in a crowded city and then let's it idle for an hour would be considered worse than the person living in a one bedroom apartment with his thermostat set on 71 regardless of which is doing more harm over all. It's the being callous and needlessly excessive polluter that is focused on, rather than the person going about their daily business in a moderate and concientious way.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Tispower1 said:
twesterm said:
Kasz216 said:

As I said, I don't care about the whole global warming issue.  I don't think it doesn't exist, I just don't care.  So I simply picked SUV's because those are something that make polution.  If it makes you happy then just pretend I posted this:

twesterm said:
Kasz216 said:

So you're saying that we can't cut back on other things that cause global warning then?  Food is somewhat essential, polution making heaters aren't.

NJ5 said:
Tispower1 said:
twesterm said:
Kasz216 said:

But as also pointed out, vegetarians' farts are worse than non-veg.'s farts for the environment. I suppose cows are even  worse, but probably not as much as studies conclude when they ignore this factor.

Well, at least the cows were "designed" to only eat vegetables, so is it possible that an equivalent amount of vegetarians emits even more methane and CO2 than a cow. I suppose this is not the case, but it would be interesting to see a quantitative study on that.

Except veggie eating cows eat 10 times the Veggies that a vegitarian does.

A cow emits much more methane then a person does.

The average cow releases 280 liters of methane.

The average person... 1/2 a liter.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:

But a kg of cow meat feeds many more people than a kg of veggies does. The energy (i.e. calories) has to come from somewhere.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
Kasz216 said:

But a kg of cow meat feeds many more people than a kg of veggies does. The energy (i.e. calories) has to come from somewhere.

The average person emits 1/2 a liter of methane per day... vs 280.

10KGs of veggies feeds more people then 1KG of cow meat.

The calories the cows intake mostly go to the bones and teeth and other stuff that isn't harvestable.

Ok, we can kill 5 billion people and all the cows.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

NJ5 said:
Kasz216 said:

Yeah but its easier to grow Veggies than meat cows

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

NJ5 said:
steven787 said:
The world has the highest known population since man has come into existence. There is less hunger proportionally then ever before. What's the problem again?

never heard of that statistic, but let's assume it's true.

What's the problem? Plenty of them... We're straining the planet's resources, in large part due to over-population. Exponentially rising population + depleting resources means trouble. It's the same problem Yeast and other simple organisms typically run into. Population growth can't go on forever, neither can economic growth.

What allows so many people to exist is mostly our technology which allows us to access plentiful energy, especially fossil fuels. If you noticed, before the economic crisis hit energy was getting more and more expensive, which will probably also happen when the economy starts to recover. It could even stop the economy from ever recovering to the levels we've seen in the past few years.

This will especially be a problem if investment in renewable energy (and even non-renewable energy) isn't taken seriously during the recession.

Yeast doesn't have the capacity to organize augment it's production method for obtain food beyond the natural environment allows.

From irrigation, to nitrogen-based fertalizers, genetics, hormones and mechanization, the food supply is ample to feed the whole human population; the problem is cost and transportation (within borders).  Most hunger is caused by war.

If you go to http://www.wfp.org/country_brief/index_region.asp and look where the world food program work almost all of those are engaged in some type of long term conflict or are under the control of a corrupt or weak government.

Rising energy costs are a sign of more people using energy, which means more people have modern heating and lighting.  India still has almost half a billion people with out electricity but it less than 10 years ago.

Often as countries develop they leap frog the steps industrialized nations had to take, saving money and impacting the environment less.  Cell phones, computerized banking, credit cards, and renewable energy allow rapid change without the large industrial infrastructure investment with out massive temporary employment that displaced major portions of the population in the US.

Don't confuse fossil fuels with fuel.  Brasil has built its economy on biodiesel.  Small remote villages are installing solar panels, The US and Canada depend on an almost unlimited source of coal and natural gas for electricity.  The minute we have a viable portable unlimited fuel for transportation, the problem is solved.  The world enters a new age of movement.  Renewable resources are coming; profitability ensures this.

I don't understand how anybody can look at the progress in India, China, or Vietnam and think things are getting worse.

Now, don't take this to mean that I think there are no problems, there is a long way to go but progress is being made.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.