By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Wii could sell for over 15 years.

Tbone said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Tbone said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Tbone said:
@Avinash_Tyagi.

No offence mate but those predictions u have made are they 4 real.

Yes, and they'll come true (or at the very least get extremely close)

So u really think Wii will outsell the playstation family with ps1,ps2,ps3 and psp.

Consoles, not handhelds (so no PSP in the mix), yes it will pass the combined sales of the PS1, 2 and 3

I guess u know how much ps1 and ps2 has sold and ps3 still selling so i wont explain that to so instead all i can say is good luck.

I know exactly how much PS2 sold, and I know how much faster Wii is selling than the PS1 or PS2 or PS3, and I know that PS3 will top out much lower than the PS1 and the PS2, between 40-60 million, regardless of what Sony says, and the PS1 was around 100 Million, and the PS2 will probably top out at 140 million tops, so at most PS family of consoles will be at 300 million, Wii can puncture that mark

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

@ Avinash_Tyagi.

Like i said good luck with that bro.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
atma998 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
woopah said:
i believe wii sports resort is believed to be the last in the seires, at least for a while

Highly doubtful, Nintendo isn't going to kill off its lucrative cash cow any time soon, no next up is Wii fit 2

Also Wii could survive 15 years, the NES was still selling almost 20 years after its launch, however after about 7-8 years at the latest, another nintendo console will release

Really the NES was still selling in 2005 (3 years ago)? Where in hell did people buy those brand new NES in 2005? 

In Japan they sold the Famicom from 1983 to 2003.

Wii will easily sell for 15 years.

But that doesn't mean Nintendo won't release a new console for 15 years.  Nintendo's next console would be part of the next generation whenever it starts.

How much did it sell in 2003? Not so much that's for sure. Plus it was in Japan only. In short, console's life cycle aren't that big in general.

One thing you must never forget is that the high barriers to entry to an industry are only high if you try to follow existing models. While the barriers to entry for the console industry are high, they are not insurmountable when working within the value set that the Wii encompasses. Indeed, there's a preschool educational console out there which imitates the Wii almost to a T, and another which is more or less a preschooler DS. Ultimately, the first same-value competitor will likely come from one of the manufacturers of those devices.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

atma998 said:

What are you talking about? Let's take a look at the top 5 best selling games for each console.

Wii : 1-Wii Fit

2-Mario Kart Wii

3-SSBB

4-Super Mario Galaxy

5-Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games

X360 : 1-Halo 3

2-Call of Duty 4

3-GTA IV

4-Gears of War

5-Forza Motorsport 2

PS3 : 1-GTA IV

2-Call of Duty 4

3-Motorstorm

4-MGS4

5-Resistance

Don't you see a pattern here? 4 games out of 5 are shooters for PS360 while the top 5 games on Wii are 5 different types of games. With that in mind I think that it's faire to assume that HD consoles are mainly shooter games sellers and this is a good reason why the mass market isn't interested in those kind of consoles.

Don't you think that was heavily spun in your favor? Here, I'll give you the 15 top selling Wii and HD games:

Wii:
1 - Wii Sports
2 - Wii Play
3 - Wii Fit
4 - MK Wii
5 - SSBB
6 - SMG
7 - Mario & Sonic
8 - Mario Party 8
9 - TLoZ: Twilight Princess
10- Guitar Hero III
11- Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree
12- Super Paper Mario
13- Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
14- Carnival Games
15- Link's Crossbow Training

HD:
1 - GTA IV
2 - CoD 4
3 - Halo 3
4 - Assassin's Creed
5 - Gears of War
6 - Guitar Hero III
7 - Forza Motorsport 2
8 - MotorStorm
9 - MGS4
10- Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
11- Madden NFL 08
12- Resistance: Fall of Man
13- FIFA 08
14- Need For Speed: ProStreet
15- Pro Evolution Soccer 2008

Your definition of "shooters" is extremely broad, so it's only fair to include Wii Fit as a mini-game compilation. That makes 8/15 top selling games mini-game compilations. On the HD consoles, it's only 6/15 for shooters.

Around the Network

i severely doubt it. the wii is selling well and that's good but i'm not sure if it has the weapons to stay in the game that long. i mean, imagine if the nes was still in stores back in 2000. that would have been weird to see. it would be really funny though

@c0rd: I don't think HD is a single console, if you want to do a good analysis, then include all the platforms. But there's some truth in both your arguments, majority of Wii gamers prefer casual games, while majority of PS3 and 360 gamers prefer games which involve shooting or killing.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

c0rd said:
atma998 said:

What are you talking about? Let's take a look at the top 5 best selling games for each console.

Wii : 1-Wii Fit

2-Mario Kart Wii

3-SSBB

4-Super Mario Galaxy

5-Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games

X360 : 1-Halo 3

2-Call of Duty 4

3-GTA IV

4-Gears of War

5-Forza Motorsport 2

PS3 : 1-GTA IV

2-Call of Duty 4

3-Motorstorm

4-MGS4

5-Resistance

Don't you see a pattern here? 4 games out of 5 are shooters for PS360 while the top 5 games on Wii are 5 different types of games. With that in mind I think that it's faire to assume that HD consoles are mainly shooter games sellers and this is a good reason why the mass market isn't interested in those kind of consoles.

Don't you think that was heavily spun in your favor? Here, I'll give you the 15 top selling Wii and HD games:

Wii:
1 - Wii Sports
2 - Wii Play
3 - Wii Fit
4 - MK Wii
5 - SSBB
6 - SMG
7 - Mario & Sonic
8 - Mario Party 8
9 - TLoZ: Twilight Princess
10- Guitar Hero III
11- Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree
12- Super Paper Mario
13- Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
14- Carnival Games
15- Link's Crossbow Training

HD:
1 - GTA IV
2 - CoD 4
3 - Halo 3
4 - Assassin's Creed
5 - Gears of War
6 - Guitar Hero III
7 - Forza Motorsport 2
8 - MotorStorm
9 - MGS4
10- Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
11- Madden NFL 08
12- Resistance: Fall of Man
13- FIFA 08
14- Need For Speed: ProStreet
15- Pro Evolution Soccer 2008

Your definition of "shooters" is extremely broad, so it's only fair to include Wii Fit as a mini-game compilation. That makes 8/15 top selling games mini-game compilations. On the HD consoles, it's only 6/15 for shooters.

Why did you combine PS3 and X360? Also Wii Sports and Wii Play are bundled games. Wi Fit and Mario & Sonic are'nt compilation games. This is absolutely ridiculous. What are you trying to prove here? Try at least to be fair!

atma998 said:

Why did you combine PS3 and X360? Also Wii Sports and Wii Play are bundled games. Wi Fit and Mario & Sonic are'nt compilation games. This is absolutely ridiculous. What are you trying to prove here? Try at least to be fair!

I combined the two because counting the multiplats twice isn't "fair" at all. Also, I don't see why combining the sales is all that unreasonable - they're the same game, after all. It also makes it easier to compare to.

Wii Sports may be bundled, but it would still be #1 if it weren't (at worst, it would be #2). If you discount Wii Play due to bundles, then take out Resistance and MGS4.

Mario & Sonic looks like a compilation of mini-games to me. I wouldn't normally throw Wii Fit in there, but you threw MGS4 and GTAIV into the shooter mix. At that point, I don't see calling Wii Fit a mini-game compilation a stretch, because technically it is.

I was trying to prove your viewpoint of "shooters sell on HD consoles" is as flawed as "only mini-games sell on the Wii." Note the Wii is my primary console - I just think you're being extremely biased.

Nintendo's next console will release in 2012.

It will not be a successor to the Wii, however. It will be a more traditional gaming console, and the Wii line will become yet another third-pillar deal.

Okay, I don't even believe myself, but it's definitely at least plausible.

SW-5120-1900-6153