By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - USA is the best country in the world

steven787 said:
It doesn't suck as bad for the poor as some other countries...

No, I'm pretty sure it sucks more in Sierra Leone...

Compared to the wealth of the US the average standard of living is pretty low, though.

Around the Network

Canada is way better :P

Anyways as for the sports comment, Canada is definitely better at hockey. And before anyone brings up the NHL, 24 teams are American ,6 are Canadian, and the majority of players are Canadian. Also, Anaheim has the most Canadian players :D

coolestguyever said:

5. Of course the US wins at American football. USA and Canada are the only countries that play it!

Scratch us out........we play Canadian Football. Here are the differences, if you are interested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Canadian_and_American_football

TheRealMafoo said:
I will paint a picture of my life at least, so you all can compare this to where you live.

I live in a vacation town in Minnesota. I own a 2,300 square foot 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath home, on 14 acres. My back yard backs up to a lake. I own a boat, a Porsche 911 convertible (2001), a 4x4 Chevy Silverado Pickup truck fully loaded (2002), and all the electronics you could want (PS3, 360, Wii, gaming PC, a few HD-TV's, 17" Mac Book Pro that I am typing this on, etc....)

I have a German Shepherd dog, a barn for horses (no horses though), a nice tractor... I have a lot. I am fully covered under insurance (me, home, cars, belongings). I also save 8% of my salary for retirement.

Now, my income. 18 years ago, I waited tables for a living. I decided to go to college for Computer Science, and started a career as a software developer. Today, I make $78,000 a year. That's not very much money compared to many people in this country, but look at what it buys me.

So, let me know how much in Europe you need to make to own my house on 14 acres lakefront. I bet it's a lot more then I make.

I'll agree you beat the UK hands down for cheap land and consumer goods. Though that's (cheap consumer goods) mostly due to the world economy being run in dollars, so not much other countries can do about it. Going on the exchange rate of 2 months ago (how time changes things) that income would translate to £40,000, and I know our family income is quite a bit bigger than that and we drive a Citroen Xsara and a Renault Espace oh yeah, and a 25" Sony CRT lol

Esmoreit said:
perculator said:
Also America built Japan

You got to be joking, right??

After WW2, the USA put a lot of money into rebuilding Japan... which lead to the "Japanese Miracle" had it not been for that USA seed money there is a chance Japan could of been nowhere near what it is today.

Around the Network
coolestguyever said:
Okay i'm going to have to argue on the best sports comment:

1. Canada is the best at hockey. 'Nuff Said.

2. Europe is way better at football (soccer) than the US

3. The 2 best tennis players are Federer (swiss) and Nadal (spanish)

4. The US has the best individual golfer (tiger woods), but the US often lose the Ryder Cup. Since 1979 when it became US vs Europe, Europe is leading 8 wins to 7 Wins

5. Of course the US wins at American football. USA and Canada are the only countries that play it!

6. Baseball. America's sport. Well South Korea won gold at the 2008 olympics in Baseball, and USA finished 3rd. And go back to 2004 and the US didn't even win a medal.

7. Basketball. US got gold in 2008, but what about 2004 when Argentina got the gold? USA is probably the best in the world at basketball but don't always win. Its becoming more popular around the world. And some of the best players in the league aren't american. Steve Nash, Dirk Nowitzki, Tony Parker, all international players.

8. I guess if you want to include rugby then the US isn't the best. New Zealand, Australia, England, Fiji all better than US.

So if you read all this. I pretty much prove the US isn't the best at sports by any means.

4.  Rexamine this one....

Europe is winning 8 to 7...

The USA is one country...  Europe is.... how many?

I'd rather live in France, but unfortunately the naturalization requirements and certification requirements for my profession are extremely difficult. But if I would have learned French early on in life there is a decent chance I would live there now.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Maybe I'm not sure there was this quote from hitler on my GCSE book that said that he disliked the USA.

ctk495 said:
Maybe I'm not sure there was this quote from hitler on my GCSE book that said that he disliked the USA.

Was it one where he callled it the "JewSA".

There was a bunch of remarks he made about the USA in a bunch of stuff.

TheRealMafoo said:
I will paint a picture of my life at least, so you all can compare this to where you live.

I live in a vacation town in Minnesota. I own a 2,300 square foot 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath home, on 14 acres. My back yard backs up to a lake. I own a boat, a Porsche 911 convertible (2001), a 4x4 Chevy Silverado Pickup truck fully loaded (2002), and all the electronics you could want (PS3, 360, Wii, gaming PC, a few HD-TV's, 17" Mac Book Pro that I am typing this on, etc....)

I have a German Shepherd dog, a barn for horses (no horses though), a nice tractor... I have a lot. I am fully covered under insurance (me, home, cars, belongings). I also save 8% of my salary for retirement.

Now, my income. 18 years ago, I waited tables for a living. I decided to go to college for Computer Science, and started a career as a software developer. Today, I make $78,000 a year. That's not very much money compared to many people in this country, but look at what it buys me.

So, let me know how much in Europe you need to make to own my house on 14 acres lakefront. I bet it's a lot more then I make.

And most certainly you payed most of those stuff with credit cards or loans, if that's so now you're a slave of your debts now, congratulations...