By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii SW sales in Japan for 2008.

@senortaco: Of course I know Tatsunoko has SF characters in it and that's why I'm pissed about Capcom not wanting to bring it to the West, I bet you don't even know what Tatsunoko is on the other hand. The thing is, none of the games you listed will be a big seller. I'd say no more than 150k units for any of them.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network

Thanks a lot, Oyvoyvoyv. Really good to actually see those numbers.

Trestres, I think one could now say that your claim that "Wii is on a tough decline in Japan" has been proven a misconception. Wii is doing good. At least as good as it was doing last year.

This is invisible text!

also recently there were releases of shiren the wanderer and chocobo's dungeon on portables and surprisingly the wii versions are tracking quite a bit better.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

trestres said:
@senortaco: Of course I know Tatsunoko has SF characters in it and that's why I'm pissed about Capcom not wanting to bring it to the West, I bet you don't even know what Tatsunoko is on the other hand. The thing is, none of the games you listed will be a big seller. I'd say no more than 150k units for any of them.

NO not you! lol, ugh, I got to get use to this qouting system. I was referring to the one guy that said that TvsC would sale terribly cause it wasn't SF, Tekken....forgot the other one he mention...but anyway, yeah. =p

Sidenote: I think it will come to the West, but either as DC -vs- Capcom, or Marvel -vs- Capcom 3, lol. But I REALLY want to play the Japan version, lol.

The Interweb is about overreaction, this is what makes it great!

...Imagine how boring the interweb would be if everyone thought logically?

@senor: Sorry my bad.

@Soriku: We will have to see about that, I don't even think that SF4 will sell that good in Japan, let alone Tatsunoko. In the best case scenario, I see it breaking the 150k, which is not bad, but at the same time isn't big.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network
haxxiy said:
trestres said:
@haxxiy: What? I was just making an analysis on why Wii has been going down in sales and popularity in Japan, whereas in the rest of the World, Wii has seen an increase. Japan is maybe the most important market for them, where they release all of their games, and still people seem to be losing interest.

I said that mostly because what you keep posting again and again.

And why Japan exactly is the most important market to them if they earn there far less with each Wii sold than in America/Europe and the atach rate in Japan have always been the smallest?

With the recent strong showing of the yen I somehow doubt that sentence is still true...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Killergran said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:

Let's compare. Wii vs Ps2, 102 weeks after launch, Japan only.

Ps2 hardware - 7.9M

Wii hardware - 7M

Ps2 software - 25.7M

Wii software - 24.6M

1st party Ps2 software - 3197K 3.2M

1st party software for Wii - 16173K - 16.2M

3rd party software Ps2 - 22.5M

3rd party software Wii - 8.4M

Ratios -

3rd party

Ps2 - 3 games pr console

Wii - 1.2 games pr console

1st party

Ps2 - 0.4 games pr console

Wii - 2.5 games pr console

Wii is doing decent. Slightly behind in hardware, which is explainable due to 1 less christmas (1st was incredibly supply constrained, and would have sold the same anyway), and has equal software despite of it.

I added the ratios just because people seem to find them interesting, whereas I don't really need them.

Oyvoyvoyv, you are so full of statistical win.

Would it be too much of a bother for you to do a short analysis of the last 10 weeks or so, compared to the comparable weeks last year for the Wii and the 360? (since you're obviously so much better than me at doing such things)

EDIT: Trestres, what you're saying in your post is maybe not completely wrong, but you have to have somethin to compare it against. It's easy to be doom and gloom saying that it sold only so and so much, but if you're not actually comparing it to anything, you're cheating.

Your analysis discards the fact that if you had done the same one one year ago the Wii would have been heavilly ahead of the PS2. The Wii is still only doing good in those numbers because of a really good first year...

Hardware sales from week 50 to week 102 ( so both get a holyday season and we can't claim it affected the numbers)

PS2 : 4.1 million units

Wii : 3.1 million units.

As for people claiming next year has MH3. This year had SSBB and Mario Kart. Not sure MH3 is actually bigger than those...

Ail said:
Killergran said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:

Ps2 hardware - 7.9M

Wii hardware - 7M

Ps2 software - 25.7M

Wii software - 24.6M

Ratios -

3rd party

Ps2 - 3 games pr console

1st party

Wii is doing decent. Slightly behind in hardware, which is explainable due to 1 less christmas (1st was incredibly supply constrained, and would have sold the same anyway), and has equal software despite of it.

I added the ratios just because people seem to find them interesting, whereas I don't really need them.

Would it be too much of a bother for you to do a short analysis of the last 10 weeks or so, compared to the comparable weeks last year for the Wii and the 360? (since you're obviously so much better than me at doing such things)

EDIT: Trestres, what you're saying in your post is maybe not completely wrong, but you have to have somethin to compare it against. It's easy to be doom and gloom saying that it sold only so and so much, but if you're not actually comparing it to anything, you're cheating.

Your analysis discards the fact that if you had done the same one one year ago the Wii would have been heavilly ahead of the PS2. The Wii is still only doing good in those numbers because of a really good first year...

Hardware sales from week 50 to week 102 ( so both get a holyday season and we can't claim it affected the numbers)

As for people claiming next year has MH3. This year had SSBB and Mario Kart. Not sure MH3 is actually bigger than those...

A slight correction:

For Wii, I have 3789K vs 6986K, which is 3.2M, not 3.1M. Not important though.

I agree with you though - the Wii isn't going to equal the Ps2 in HW. That would be a shock for me.

For that period, SW also shows that Ps2 did better.

Ps2 - 16.0M

Wii - 14.1M

But the Wii is almost equalling the Ps2, despite having a far, far worse Japan line-up, means that saying it is failing in SW is stupid.

One thing though, you are only comparing the Wii's line-up, which is odd. You have to take into account the Ps2's too.

For the record, Japan Ps2 sales by sales equal to 50-102 (so next year is 102-154, and then 154-206)

2001-2002: 4.1M

2002-2003: 3.9M

2003-2004: 3.3M

2004-2005: 3.1M

2005-2006: 2M

2006-2007: 1.5M

2007-2008  0.8M

So you are talking about the Ps2's peak year, whereas the Wii may peak later on.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

@Oyvoyvoyv , why would anyone argue with you? Their failure is inevitable in your landslide of fact and logic.

Oyvoyvoyv said:
Ail said:
Killergran said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:

Ps2 hardware - 7.9M

Wii hardware - 7M

Ps2 software - 25.7M

Wii software - 24.6M

Ratios -

3rd party

Ps2 - 3 games pr console

1st party

A slight correction:

For Wii, I have 3789K vs 6986K, which is 3.2M, not 3.1M. Not important though.

I agree with you though - the Wii isn't going to equal the Ps2 in HW. That would be a shock for me.

For that period, SW also shows that Ps2 did better.

Ps2 - 16.0M

Wii - 14.1M

But the Wii is almost equalling the Ps2, despite having a far, far worse Japan line-up, means that saying it is failing in SW is stupid.

One thing though, you are only comparing the Wii's line-up, which is odd. You have to take into account the Ps2's too.

For the record, Japan Ps2 sales by sales equal to 50-102 (so next year is 102-154, and then 154-206)

2001-2002: 4.1M

2002-2003: 3.9M

2003-2004: 3.3M

2004-2005: 3.1M

2005-2006: 2M

2006-2007: 1.5M

2007-2008  0.8M

So you are talking about the Ps2's peak year, whereas the Wii may peak later on.

Except if Wii peaked on its first year in Japan( which is the case so far for 2 years ).