By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - World of Goo has 90% piracy rate

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/11/13/world-of-goo-has-90-piracy-rate/

World of Goo has 90% piracy rate

We received a tip pointing to the comments section of a recent RockPaperShotgun post, in which World of Goo designer Ron Carmel mentioned the game had a staggering 90% piracy rate. We contacted Carmel directly, who confirmed the figure was "about right."

Carmel informs us that he's seen torrent sites with "500 seeders and 300 leechers" and has received emails from people who initially stole the game but ended up buying the full product; unsurprisingly, they make up a "very small percentage." He concludes, "We're doing ok, though. We're getting good sales through WiiWare, Steam, and our website. Not going bankrupt just yet!"

Although Carmel takes it in stride, this is probably a good time for us to reiterate that the charming and fun World of Goo was developed by 2D Boy, which consists of Carmel and his design partner, Kyle Gabler. We want more goo, so please support the 2D boys properly.

Damn that sucks.  People suck.  Game looks fun though.

Around the Network

That is very sad. I bought mine through WiiWare and it was worth every cent.

Proud member of the Sonic Support Squad

I'm making sure there getting money in about a month when I get mine from WW...

Former something....

@ smallflyingtaco: Ditto!

Also, it helped me get a correct guess in Round 9 of the VGC Music Riddle thread! ... At least, I think so. o_O

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

That sucks - what's the game like? convince me to buy it

Around the Network

Physics based puzzle game. Hard to describe in great detail so I would recommend you download the PC demo or check out videos of the game on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A_JfkzPwww

Proud member of the Sonic Support Squad

Ah, what a great game. Its really sad that small devs coming up with such a brilliant idea are ultimately screwed over by piracy.

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murders will foam up about their waist and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

....and I'll look down and whisper  "no."  

- Rorschach

BringBackChrono said:
Ah, what a great game. Its really sad that small devs coming up with such a brilliant idea are ultimately screwed over by piracy.

Imagine when Braid comes out on PC... >_>

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

Played demo on steam, it's alright, but what's with the 90%+ reviews? I think it's overrated.

I'm assuming this percentage is only the PC version right? Hopefully the Wii version isn't anywhere close to 90%.