By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Did sony defeat themselves this generation?

NeoRatt said:
Sony hasn't helped themselves at all this generation. Their were many missteps along the way. They included:

- The product was brought out before it was proven and ready for developers.
- I don't think they realized how to make a network for millions of games let alone provide it for free
- They marketed games before they knew what they could really deliver
- They didn't get their costs down fast enough
- They over estimated consumer's demand for a new video format and what that format needs to cost.
- They thought since they one last round that this round would be automatic when they came into the market.

All is not lost for Sony, they have the opportunity to make things better, but, they have a lot of work to do if they want to get there. I don't think anyone can write Sony off this generation, but they are coming much close to that time now. 2009 is do or die until next generation.

Sony never over estimated Blu Ray. They forced you to buy it if you wanted a PS3, that way your purchase of the PS3 would be justified in helping Blu Ray beat out HD-DVD. The rest sounds good.

Around the Network

In addition, Bluray becoming commonplace won't help the PS3 as much as people here think it will.

After all, there will be many consumers that just want to watch films but not play video games. Those people will buy standalone Bluray Players which also have become common in the market rather than the PS3.

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

you guys is fighting over the wrong thing... I have to say, SONY isn't BEHIND, they are too far ahead, that NO ONE CARES... honestly, Sony with their PS3, and ideology is too ahead of the current market trend...

1. They expected more adoption of HD which also hindered PS3's adoption rate.
2. They did not expect such huge credit crunch in the world when they decided on the spec hence the price of the console has been huge factor in the adoption rate.
3. They expected people would synergize PSP and PS3, but our technology is very limiting especially in terms of pipe bandwidth... PSP and PS3's remote play if done "correctly" (perfect streaming of PS3 game via web from any place in the world) sure would be a revolution in the ways we'll see home console stuff.

Honestly, Sony isn't behind the market, it's just that they are too far ahead in the future to see the current needs. As for staying on topic, yes, they did shoot themselves in the foot this gen, not because they are lacking anything, but they are giving TOO much.

I'd say they did. It wasn't just pricing but bad decisions all the way. They're lucky that regardless of position, their format still gets decent support

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

I think there is this "missing gap" between PS2 and PS3... it seems like the PS3 should of been the PS4... and that we are missing something in between.

Around the Network
errorrrr said:
I think there is this "missing gap" between PS2 and PS3... it seems like the PS3 should of been the PS4... and that we are missing something in between.

Thats one good way to put it.. i agree with that in a way.. but i like having it now instead of later.. heh the ps3 will no doubt outlast all other consoles no matter where it is at now..

my opinion its just like a huge train... it takes ALOT to get it goin.. and it ended up starting on an incline.. but once it acually gets goin.. theres no stopping it!

and TBO.. i really hope they wait till next year to drop the price a bit.. it really shows there in for the long haul.. not the short sprint..

Playing Beyond! 

50 Blu-Ray movies

67 BR disc PS3 Games

WHY???

ps2 - launch march 2000 - 1st year
ps2 - 2006 - 7th year - Release of FFXII in NA - 100 mln. mark WW
ps2 - 2007 - 8th year - Release FFXII in EU, release GoW2

ps3 - 2007 - 1st year(Resistance, Motorstorm, NGS, HS, Ratchet, Folklore, Uncharted)
2008 - 2nd year(MGS4, Valkyria Chronicles, D3, LBP, Resistance 2, Motorstorm:PR, Naruto:UNS)
2009 - 3rd year(FFXIII, Yakuza 3, KZ2, Infamous, Heavy Rain, Ico3, WKC, GT5, QT)
2010 - 4th year(FFXIIIv, GoW3, Wardevil, Uncharted 2)
2011 - 5th year
2012 - 6th year
2014 - 7th year
2015 - 8th year

The games are coming no matter what. GREAT games.
PS3 even did not need to sell 100 mln. this gen(yet it will). It has 3rd party support. It has GREAT 1st and 2nd party line-up.
All PS3 needed, that developers would FIRST develope on PS3 or PS3 to be main system, and it`s becoming MAIN system.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

I've heard other theory about the lost of jRPG was that since the X360 was out earlier, and those jRPG has already been in development before the PS3 spec was even given out to the first party devs so it was inevitable those jRPG got on the x360 instead of PS3...

I have no concrete proof of the statement above but somebody pointed out that the jRPG announcements have slowed down on the X360... I am looking forward to the next video game expose.

Pristine20 said:
I'd say they did. It wasn't just pricing but bad decisions all the way. They're lucky that regardless of position, their format still gets decent support

LOL Their format got decent support because they intentionally used expected installed base to push the BR DVD market. LOL BR would've never survived on their own and Sony KNEW it wouldn't. The PS3 was a proper sacrifice. Once BR beat HD-DVD officially thats when all hell broke loose and Sony announced at E3 that they were finally going to focus on the games.