By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - WTF is Mirriors Edge?

vlad321 said:
Everstar said:
so thats all your doing running on rooftops?

Yes, I can't wait for it to get home already.

lol weird =P

Proud Owner of  a Wii and Xbox 360 and a PS3(When I get the money)

Around the Network
Everstar said:

That doesn't do it justice.  It's 'kind of' like a first-person Crackdown.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
thekitchensink said:
Everstar said:

That doesn't do it justice.  It's 'kind of' like a first-person Crackdown.

oh i didnt even know it was first person

Proud Owner of  a Wii and Xbox 360 and a PS3(When I get the money)

I downloaded the demo and was equally impressed with the concept and so frustrated I wanted to chuck my controller across the room.

#1 - The game concept was written by Rhianna Pratchett, daughter of author Terry Pratchett (of Discworld fame), who I consider simultaneously demented and brilliant, in a Douglas Adams kind of way. Rhianna's concept for Mirrors Edge tickles the sci-fi/action junkie in me, and EA/DICE interpreted it well.

#2 - The graphics are a disappointment. The scope of the world with all the buildings and incredible draw distance certainly limits other elements of the game in terms of harnessing the graphics horsepower, but after seeing character models pulled off so well in games over a year old, such as Heavenly Sword, the character of Celeste in the demo looks PS2-quality GTA-rigid-awful, not counting the fact the 'skin' makes her look pot-bellied. Terrible character animations, IMHO.

#3 - It looks like it's a sandbox game, but the reality is that the demo only allowed for one true path from point A to point B, and negotiating that in a dead sprint while taking leaps of faith off of skyscrapers as you're running away from gunfire provides for a lot of frustration. After disarming my first 'blue' I didn't know if I was allowed to shoot the others or not. You see the world and want to free-roam, but it winds up playing like a Don Bluth Dragon's Lair/Space Ace game where there is really only a predefined order of correct button presses, and you've got to figure them out, or die and try again.

I want to see more. My overall impression from the demo was I'll pick it up in a couple weeks once some trade-ins start making there way to GameStop, or I'll wait until it hits $29.99 or less. Not buying it for $60 based off what I saw. I both loved it and hated it at the same time.