By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - EGM reviews Lair, Blue Dragon. Give them some shocking scores.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175237

lair: 6.0, 5.5, 5.0
crispin says the combat system is confusing, and the sixaxis controls don't always work the way they should. lock-on system is also jacked.
greg ford says the camera is frustrating in ground combat. the wide open levels hold a lot of potential but ultimately don't deliver
garnett says it's a "frustrating disappointment" with a few bright spots

mario strikers charged: 7.5, 7.5, 7.5
it's not really a soccer game so much as a hockey game with a soccer-like sheen. it's got body-checking, etc. it's "messier," in that it's more chaotic and arcadey than the gcn game. the new "sidekicks" are awesome, and have their own special moves. the motion-sensing controls add to the gameplay, not f*** it up. "over the top but balanced gameplay"

all pro football: 6.5, 6.5, 7.0
ncaa football 2008: 8.5, 9.0, 8.5
stuntman ignition: 7.5, 7.5, 7.0
dynasty warriors gundam: 6.5, 5.5, 5.0
nascar 08: 6.5, 6.5, 6.5
blue dragon: 6.5, 7.5, 6.5
it has neither strong characters nor gripping storytelling, the battle system is "stellar" but unaccompanied by any sort of interesting plot to hang your hat on. bryan is a bit easier on the story than andrew fitch (who had the lead review), and ray called it "safe."

persona 3: 8.5, 9.5, 9.5 game of the month
guitar hero rocks the 80s: 7.5, 6.0, 6.0
jeanne d'arc: 8.0, 7.0, 8.0
picross ds: 8.5, 8.0, 8.0
brain age 2: 8.0, 7.0, 6.0
heroes of mana: 7.5, 5.5, 6.0
luminous arc: 5.5, 6.0, 6.0

Around the Network

Don't mean to be a bother, but didn't we already had a thread about this before?

I am a PC gamer, and also have a NDS now, but without access to a Nintendo Wii until End of 2007.

Currently playing: Super Smash Brothers Brawl(Wii), Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer(DS), Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS), WiiFit(Wii)

Games Recently Beaten: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (Normal; Very Hard after the next DLCs become available)

1 word: RTFA

Sorry. I didn't see that. :(

Blue dragon was given fantastic scores by the Japanese, nonetheless I'm surprised that a western reviewer finds it so unsuitable for this audience. When i played the demo i ignored the story as i cant get it from a two-hour demo. The combat was excellent but if the story turns out to be lacking this will leave my 'must-by' list. But as bad as this is for 360, Blue Dragon isn't pegged as a Western system-seller, Lair under performing would be very bad for the PS3 though, it's meant to be one of the consoles four key games this year along with HS, Uncharted and Rachet

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Odd how they seem to hate all the big names, but rate very highly a game I've never heard of before. =/

Around the Network

Well, Persona series are pretty good... Although it can't get more "hardcore" as some like to call it... I guess...

Edit: And yes, I know it's Megami Tensei Spinoff.

Deegan said:
Sorry. I didn't see that. :(

Well, at least you have a source in this thread, and I am not a mod, but it would be nice if this can be merged onto that other one somehow... or whenever that other one is forgotten...

I am a PC gamer, and also have a NDS now, but without access to a Nintendo Wii until End of 2007.

Currently playing: Super Smash Brothers Brawl(Wii), Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer(DS), Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS), WiiFit(Wii)

Games Recently Beaten: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (Normal; Very Hard after the next DLCs become available)

1 word: RTFA

IGN gave MarioStrikersCharged 8.3.
IGN Readers gave Blue Dragon 8.1.
IGN hasnt reviewed LAIR yet.

I think Neogaf are just really mean when they review games.

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

i've heard much better about LAIR. I will be pissed if it sucks. Sony will hear!

mitsuhide said:
IGN gave MarioStrikersCharged 8.3.
IGN Readers gave Blue Dragon 8.1.
IGN hasnt reviewed LAIR yet.

I think Neogaf are just really mean when they review games.

EGM is a bit tough and IGN quite soft. Still a 5.5 is bad no matter whos reviewing it.

Lair: 6.0, 5.5, 5.0

Very disturbing. I hope this review is an anomaly. Right now we have two totally oposit reviews... confusing. Not enough to trust one or another. We will see.