By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The reason why you pay for Xbox Live - An attempted Explanation

well gta3 was released in october and xbox came out in november. Generally the first month sees a very large portion of the sales, so....

Between gta 1,2,and 3 sony was there. xbox was not. I'm just asking what kind of numbers are we talking about, you say "billions", but i don't think so, that's all.

I think Rock* might have done it free of charge or at least for less than what they would have lost. Rock* explosion happened on the Playstation brand. I would think they would be a little indebted to them. Especially when Sony is known for assisting in the development of games with specialty devs and such.

PS: You are not debating. You are arguing. Anyone who cannot give ps1 its proper due cannot be taken as a serious debater. I don't like Wii, but I give it a lot of credit, it is a great console.

PPS: gta3 was on pc by may 2002.

Around the Network
Sardauk said:

No matter what the blinded-PS3-fanboys-fools think, quality of service has a cost.

And I would rather spend some euros for a system that works, that has some SLA, is improving and futur proof.

The PSN is just a f*cking gimmick compared to XBL.

no matter what this blinded-xbox360-fanboy thinks, the PSN is a quality service

And I would rather spend some dollars for a machine that won't break, has free online, and is improving and futureproof

XBL is just a f*ucking money-grabbing scheme compared to the PSN

play nice niksta.

although, i do agree MS is making more money than they really need to charge, but then again they are a business, and people are willing to bend over for the product.

Sardauk said:
tuoyo said:

You do realise there is another console manufacturer other than Microsoft and Sony?  Their console is the cheapest to make and it comes with built in wireless and comes with free online.  And they are far ahead of either Mircosoft or Sony and will probably outsell them combined before the end of the first half of next year.

What is wrong with Microsofts approach is I want to be able to play multiple player games online without having to pay £50 a year for that.  By not offering a free service it means while I can enjoy games like Brawl and Mario Kart online for free I will probably never play any 360 games online because I don't see why I should pay Microsoft that amount for something I am receiving free elsewhere. 

You can't compare the wii to the 360/PS3 market. Even Nintendo, is trying to build an online initiative.

With Microsoft, nothing comes for free. Anyhow, this business model is the most successful so far, so what do you want to do about it ?

The same principle applies to the rest of the electronic industries : Hardware has poor margin while services brings cash.

It is a question of maintaining a successful long-term business (Nintendo is an exection cause the Wii is cheap and the sales are enormous).

this business model may be pretty succesful so far, but it definently doesn't make you the most liked (hence why some or maybe many dislike microsoft), which means bad word of mouth and fewer customers. It also means poor customer loaylty. However, I will admit that Microsoft has good customer loyalty

theprof00 said:
play nice niksta.

although, i do agree MS is making more money than they really need to charge, but then again they are a business, and people are willing to bend over for the product.

lol, I don't actually express the emotions that I used in my post. I was simply using his language structure and replacing it with words of equal harshness, but opposite in meaning.

Around the Network

I think MS should cut the cost of subscriptions in half or add more benefits for those that pay $50 a year.

People will never understand the perks of the 360 subscription costs only for one reason: Sony has it for free. Free is always free, even if it's limited. I don't think Sony will offer their services free forever regardless because of costs and will most likely either charge for individual games or do what MS does and charge a yearly fee at probably $20 or so (to atleast be below the competition).

People also have to realize all original XBox games (including crappy games like Chicago Enforcer, or even old classics like Phatom Dust) still have online service available. This is not always the case with older PS2 games and most likely PS3 games down the line. The only company that has their own servers and stats are EA, and they shut down their older versions online service down over time.

I never, ever, as stated before... EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR pay more then $35 a year for XBL (then again, I kinda did. I got the Vision Cam, two XBLA games and 400 pts for $50 which is the most I've ever spent, but it was worth it) there are always deals on Amazon and other sites to get the card for $35 shipped every year since the 360 launched. If your interested in that info PM me and I can direct you to a site but I won't post it here since It's against the TOS.

For $35 a year It's worth it IMHO. I however think Microsoft should drop the price to $30 or even $20 a year only because Sony is getting better in terms of online service for the cost of being Free versus $50.

It's just that simple.

theprof00 said:

well gta3 was released in october and xbox came out in november. Generally the first month sees a very large portion of the sales, so....

Between gta 1,2,and 3 sony was there. xbox was not. I'm just asking what kind of numbers are we talking about, you say "billions", but i don't think so, that's all.

I think Rock* might have done it free of charge or at least for less than what they would have lost. Rock* explosion happened on the Playstation brand. I would think they would be a little indebted to them. Especially when Sony is known for assisting in the development of games with specialty devs and such.

PS: You are not debating. You are arguing. Anyone who cannot give ps1 its proper due cannot be taken as a serious debater. I don't like Wii, but I give it a lot of credit, it is a great console.

PPS: gta3 was on pc by may 2002.

I Can understand why GTA 3 didnt come to xbox,cause when Xbox came out GTA 3 was gonna launch,But Vice city and SA were kept on PS2 cause Sony paid them,Who cares if Xbox was not there,Fact is GTA would sold  MORE if it was on Xbox,(Not saying it would of out sold PS2 version but it would sell some copys enought to make a profit).

Now...You say you cant take me serious because i dont give PS1 its props,Ok what did it have that made it oustandingly good?,Most games on PS1 were on N64,the ONLY good thing i can remember about PS1 was its games,and few games i remember,Just cause it has SONY on it does NOT mean its awesome.

pay for live? The only times I've payed for the ability to play online is the first month that Gears1 was released and this month, just for coop.

As a PC + 3 console gamer, i find it utterly ridiculous to have to pay to play online for only one of those platforms. As a matter of fact, I just remembered to cancel my subscription before they rebill me, lol.

bbsin said:
pay for live? The only times I've payed for the ability to play online is the first month that Gears1 was released and this month, just for coop.

As a PC + 3 console gamer, i find it utterly ridiculous to have to pay to play online for only one of those platforms. As a matter of fact, I just remembered to cancel my subscription before they rebill me, lol.

this.

ummm check metacritic for top ps1 games