By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The reason why you pay for Xbox Live - An attempted Explanation

Party Monster said:
Microsoft cannot affort it themselves you the consumer should pay for the privilege of playing your Xbox online.

Sony fanfiends dont know what to say these days,First they say MS has alot of money and they spell MS with an "$",M$ cause they have alot of money,now they say they cant afford it?

Around the Network
Garnett said:
Party Monster said:
Microsoft cannot affort it themselves you the consumer should pay for the privilege of playing your Xbox online.

Sony fanfiends dont know what to say these days,First they say MS has alot of money and they spell MS with an "$",M$ cause they have alot of money,now they say they cant afford it?

I thought people used the $ sign because they bought their way into the market.

and yes, charging for live is one of the only reasons ms has come even close to turning a profit. What is the figure like 15million subsribers (i really dont remember) times 50$ a year? take away the 5 billion they've made off of that since the first xbox and you have an M$ which is 5 billion in the hole.

theprof00 said:

and yes, charging for live is one of the only reasons ms has come even close to turning a profit. What is the figure like 15million subsribers (i really dont remember) times 50$ a year? take away the 5 billion they've made off of that since the first xbox and you have an M$ which is 5 billion in the hole.

Question.. we all assume that the PS3 is sold at a little loss or none.. so could their online be the reason that Sony is losing so much money?? Cause it takes millions a month to maintain such a service..

-edit- I mean now..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Garnett said:
Party Monster said:

Exactly gamers should stop asking for a handout. Microsoft execs have yachts to buy.

NiKKoM said:
theprof00 said:

Question.. we all assume that the PS3 is sold at a little loss or none.. so could their online be the reason that Sony is losing so much money?? Cause it takes millions a month to maintain such a service..

I think the question behind both questions is that those millions are a drop in the bucket compared to the offering. Over a years time it might run 10-15 million but Ms is making nearly 6-7 times that amount or more, in subscription fees.

Yes it is costing sony money, but in the long run, it is easily offset by about 100k games sold a month or so.

plus i thought most of sony's online was handled by the developer.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
Garnett said:
Party Monster said:

lol wut? Did they make a xbox prototype and bill gates friends seen it and they wanted one and they told there friends,and there friends wanted one,then he released it world wide?

@Nikkom,your right PS3 is BILLIONS in the hole,of course MS knows how to run a company,which may explain why 360 is cheaper than PS3.

Also i dont think its right to pay for XBL so i dont,XBL is nothing but a PC rip off,which should be free of course,and PC games are 10$ less with FREE ONLINE....

lol wut? Did they make a xbox prototype and bill gates friends seen it and they wanted one and they told there friends,and there friends wanted one,then he released it world wide?

I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean.

I mean that they still have yet to make a decent profit almost 7 years later, and have continually bought exclusivity and companies of their own admission.

Ps: I'm not saying xbox is bad. in fact, 360 is one of my fav consoles aside from its hardware problems. Game wise it is very very solid. I'm just saying what they did.

also, MS sells consoles at a profit, which is why their consoles are cheaper.

theprof00 said:

I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean.

I mean that they still have yet to make a decent profit almost 7 years later, and have continually bought exclusivity and companies of their own admission.

That was sarcasm,and you act like Sony magically appeared,did you forget the billions Sony paid RawkStar to make GTA a PS2 (Timed)exclusive?

They hustled out just as much money,i swore MS started making a profit in 2008,Dont act like Sony did do anything wrong,or there your friends,cause in the end its all about MUNEY!

So why is it that for silver, I still get Cross game chatting, Achievements, messaging, for free? If we're paying for that, shouldn't silver not have that?