By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The reason why you pay for Xbox Live - An attempted Explanation

PS3 fanboys always bring up the price of live, and then pay $25 a year for Qore to get into betas

Around the Network

I'm sorry but there is no excuse for this. It should be free. Who cares that Microsoft is saving developers money? That's the developer's problem. They should be saving the console buyers money. And you can't say it is much better than the PS3 or Wii service so you should pay for it. Of course something you pay for should be better than what you don't.

And OT 360 should have wireless built in. Can't believe that is not the case in this day and age.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

I cant believe this subject is still ongoing. It is the norm for xbots and sonybots to back their systems up and give one sided arguments. Ive played online on both and the truth is very simple. PSN excels in some parts and XBL excels in others. One has a fee the other doesn't. Both offer a very similar service. If you like XBL stick with a 360, if you like PSN stick with Sony and if you are a gamer not a console worshipper, do what I do, have both.

People argue on here as if they are to come to a conclusion or convince others that one is better then the other. Wishful thinking!

Machina-AX said:
We pay to play online, nothing else of any real value, everything else is free on silver. Unless the game is an MMORPG it should be free to play online.

Gold is a rip off. I still pay it, because I'm an idiot, but I resent doing so.

@Sardauk - 'No matter what the blinded-PS3-fanboys-fools think, quality of service has a cost. And I would rather spend some euros for a system that works'. Says the man with Castle Crashers in his gamercard.

Do you actually have any experience playing online with the PSN? And if the answer is yes, what about it is broken?

Yes I do and I was unhappy about it (both PS2/PS3) but I don't understand the link with Castle Crashers... ?

@Fei-Hung: In what does PSN excels (excellence ? ) at ?

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

Can anyone explain me why I should pay for XBL when I can play on a better service (Steam) for free?

Around the Network
Ronster316 said:
Kantor said:
Ronster316 said:
Yup, that problably explains why there is no online multiplayer on PS3 for Virtua tennis 3, Virtua fighter 5 and Tony hawks project 8 but all those games do have multiplayer on 360

Also look at how many XBLA games have online multiplayer, the numbers are astonishing....!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So you're paying 50 bucks a year to play Virtua Tennis 3, Virtua Fighter 5 and Tony Hawk's Project 8 online?

1) Play Top Spin 3

2) Play Dark Resurrection Onlinr

3) no retaliation there.

So you're now paying 50 bucks a year to play perhaps the worst game in the Tony Hawk's series online?

1. Top spin 3? Ha Ha Ha....... Garbage compared to Virtua tennis 3

2. Only for tekken fans, I'm a Virtua fighter boy, Oh and isn't tekken 6 coming to 360

3. Tony hawks project 8 OWNS proving ground

4. A far higher percentage of XBLA games have Multiplayer compared to PSN games

5. And as above shows a far higher percentage of full price retail games have online for 360 when compared to PS3 aswell

This really makes no sense at all you are naming games that baraly anyone gives a crap about?  You don't like Top spin?  You played it today the second game on your gamercard on the left by the way. And who cares if the % is higher on X360 and XBLA games when you they are almost playable online like Castle Crashers.  Damned you MS brainwashed you very well that you are happy to pay for something that is barely better than PSN and in the first place should be free;

shio said:
Can anyone explain me why I should pay for XBL when I can play on a better service (Steam) for free?

Console business here, thank you.

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

Sardauk said:
Machina-AX said:
We pay to play online, nothing else of any real value, everything else is free on silver. Unless the game is an MMORPG it should be free to play online.

@Sardauk - 'No matter what the blinded-PS3-fanboys-fools think, quality of service has a cost. And I would rather spend some euros for a system that works'. Says the man with Castle Crashers in his gamercard.

Do you actually have any experience playing online with the PSN? And if the answer is yes, what about it is broken?

Yes I do and I was unhappy about it (both PS2/PS3) but I don't understand the link with Castle Crashers... ?

You do? What is your PSN?  Or let me guess you have played it at a 'Friends' house...   Castle Crashers has a lot of problems online.

konnichiwa said:
Sardauk said:
Machina-AX said:

You do? What is your PSN?  Or let me guess you have played it at a 'Friends' house...   Castle Crashers has a lot of problems online.

*** SIGH ***

Yes I do, I blowed my money on MGS3 Subsistence to play it online for a couple of months and yes I play at friends house because I don't own a PS3.

And yes CC has a lot of problem online, it happens..

konnichiwa said:
Ronster316 said:
Kantor said:
Ronster316 said:
Yup, that problably explains why there is no online multiplayer on PS3 for Virtua tennis 3, Virtua fighter 5 and Tony hawks project 8 but all those games do have multiplayer on 360

Also look at how many XBLA games have online multiplayer, the numbers are astonishing....!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So you're paying 50 bucks a year to play Virtua Tennis 3, Virtua Fighter 5 and Tony Hawk's Project 8 online?

1) Play Top Spin 3

2) Play Dark Resurrection Onlinr

3) no retaliation there.

So you're now paying 50 bucks a year to play perhaps the worst game in the Tony Hawk's series online?

1. Top spin 3? Ha Ha Ha....... Garbage compared to Virtua tennis 3

2. Only for tekken fans, I'm a Virtua fighter boy, Oh and isn't tekken 6 coming to 360

3. Tony hawks project 8 OWNS proving ground

4. A far higher percentage of XBLA games have Multiplayer compared to PSN games

5. And as above shows a far higher percentage of full price retail games have online for 360 when compared to PS3 aswell

This really makes no sense at all you are naming games that baraly anyone gives a crap about?  You don't like Top spin?  You played it today the second game on your gamercard on the left by the way. And who cares if the % is higher on X360 and XBLA games when you they are almost playable online like Castle Crashers.  Damned you MS brainwashed you very well that you are happy to pay for something that is barely better than PSN and in the first place should be free;

Based on the games i like to play both retail and XBLA i dont have a problem paying for it, Maybe some dont give a crap about the games i mentioned but no one can deny that the 360 a a far higher percentage of games that have online and it doesn't matter if the game is AAA, AA or just A they still mostly have online compared to the console competition.

And yes, i have played top spin recently but rest assured, once i have the online achievements i will never touch it again.