By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gears of War 2 is a disappointment (in some respects)

All that aside, and focusing on what matters most (the action) it's the best 360 game I've played this year.

I'd even go a step further and say it's the best platform exclusive to date.

But, that's probably because I enjoyed the original. Not much was changed, so the formula still works for me.

Around the Network
MikeB said:
@ Selnor

I think you missed the point of what I was saying. After all the threads praising the game (prob 20 or more) you enter the first that doesnt and you didnt enter any of the others.

What do you want me to state in those Gears 2 praising threads while I haven't played the game?

I did however watch some Gears 2 cutscenes and its ending on youtube, IMO very similar weak points as the orignal.

Multiplayer and pure gobsmacking wow power. It truly is a breathtaking game.

I can't comment on Gears 2, but I found the 4 vs 4 battles quite limiting and not worthy of the hype.

Which is why it's my top game this gen. And as I said before, it's better than any Halo game in my opinion. (And I'm a huge Halo fan. You should see my Halo collection).

I am not a Halo fan at all. Found Halo 3 to be massively overhyped as well.

Well If you havent played it I wouldnt comment at all. Because as many others will tell you Gears 1 and Gears 2 feel very different. You would expect the engine to feel familiar, but it doesnt. It has had a serious overhall. Least of all because of the massive difference in scale. Ive said before Gears 2 opening level is the closest thing to Gears 1, when the Gears 2 logo comes up at the end of the first level and big cutscene you need to forget everything you thought you knew about Gears.

It goes from similar, to holy shit in the space of 2 minutes. From then on it's the best rollercoaster ride of a game Ive been on. Not to mention that the Horde mode is the best addition to a MP Ive played in a very very long time. It's so much better than the usual DM, TM, or CTF stuff we keep having to play. Horde will be around for a very long time.

Newsflash: horde has been around since UT2004. Probably even before that, but that was the first game I played with the EXACT SAME play mode.

it handily beats any of its competitors, so i think you are over reacting.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

greenmedic88 said:
Newsflash: horde has been around since UT2004. Probably even before that, but that was the first game I played with the EXACT SAME play mode.

For some reason in FPS it doesnt really feel the same. And Gears 2 seems more fun with it. But thanks cause I forgot about UT2004.

Around the Network

Because the visuals make it feel more "epic." I realize there are a whole lot of people who still stand by their belief that "visuals don't make a game better," to which I must say: B.S.

If the game is already solid, better visuals only enhance the experience by making it feel more immersive.

Also, with a third person perspective, the camera angle is effectively a wider focal length, meaning the player has a more panoramic POV of the surrounding area. With first person perspective, the view point is more constrained unless viewing scenes from a greater distance away. (Plus UT2004 officially looks like ass by UE3 standards)

DTG said:
rocketpig said:
TheTruthHurts! said:
This game thrives on it's non-stop action, cheesy one-liners, and pure-sugarcoated-candy-for-the-eyeballs graphical prowess! The biggest complaint from the last game was not enough story explaining the locusts, and the characters backgrounds. The give this title 3 times the story of the last, and people still complain. You cant please everyone, that's just the nature of things. I loved the story and the game-play. Personally, this game did everything right by me...XD.

See, that's where I disagree. Some things just aren't important. Where the locust comes from isn't important IMO. All I cared about is that they were there and that they needed to die... violently. I hate the notion that everything needs to be explained for a story to work. Sometimes it's just clutter that gets in the way and I wish more directors/producers would realize that. Stick to your core story and leave some bits out there for the imagination to do its work.

It works time and time again, yet I see few people utilize it well. Children of Men is a prime example. The fact that they didn't explain why no one could become pregnant almost became its own story through background elements. It added an extra layer of depth to an already complex piece that didn't need to be explained because it wasn't part of their retelling of the Nativity Story. If anything, it would have detracted from and distracted the film from its primary focus.

Not that I'm comparing Children of Men to any video game... I just wanted to point out that not everything needs to be explained and sometimes, it's best to let people try to figure out things for themselves. In a world empty of explanation, people tend to fabricate their own truths and, in turn, they make the piece their own. That's what it's all about, isn't it?

CoM is one of my favorite movies so I appove that example. The problem isn't the plot holes, the problem is the atrocious voice acting. VG budgets are in the several dozen millions but developers cannot afford a decent voice actor for their games? How are games supposed to move in to the territory of "art" or evolve as a powerful storytelling medium if even the VA's of our biggest budget games are so atrociously untrained? Dialogue and narrative is one thing, a decent writer (albeit, GoW2's writer is obviously not one of them) can do wonders in that respect, but without decent VA talent what's the point? It's going to be diluted anyway.

Games can be "art" without any real VA at all *points to Ico and Shadow of the Colossus* because games are interactive. People keep trying to clump movies and games together because they are both audio-visual mediums however I think they need to stay seperate because of interactivity. In some cases I'm not "watching" the character in the game I "am" the character in the game which is why sometimes VA has the OPPOSITE effect for me. Is voice acting important to videogames? Yes, some games absolutely need top notch VA because they focus on the story and thematic elements, but that doesn't apply to everything and you shouldn't force it to either.

What was so bad about the voice acting? It was average, but I wouldn't call it bad. It certainly didn't subtract anything from the experience.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

i been playing on my friends house.

well its not what the hype made it, but still a good game, story isn't great but graphics are great and gameplay is fun.

they are....big guys they sound like big guys you can't ask for those kind of characters.

i found the story kind interesting but i can't feel the story affected in any way maybe because i am not married.

xeroxm3 said:
DTG said:
rocketpig said:
TheTruthHurts! said:
This game thrives on it's non-stop action, cheesy one-liners, and pure-sugarcoated-candy-for-the-eyeballs graphical prowess! The biggest complaint from the last game was not enough story explaining the locusts, and the characters backgrounds. The give this title 3 times the story of the last, and people still complain. You cant please everyone, that's just the nature of things. I loved the story and the game-play. Personally, this game did everything right by me...XD.

See, that's where I disagree. Some things just aren't important. Where the locust comes from isn't important IMO. All I cared about is that they were there and that they needed to die... violently. I hate the notion that everything needs to be explained for a story to work. Sometimes it's just clutter that gets in the way and I wish more directors/producers would realize that. Stick to your core story and leave some bits out there for the imagination to do its work.

It works time and time again, yet I see few people utilize it well. Children of Men is a prime example. The fact that they didn't explain why no one could become pregnant almost became its own story through background elements. It added an extra layer of depth to an already complex piece that didn't need to be explained because it wasn't part of their retelling of the Nativity Story. If anything, it would have detracted from and distracted the film from its primary focus.

Not that I'm comparing Children of Men to any video game... I just wanted to point out that not everything needs to be explained and sometimes, it's best to let people try to figure out things for themselves. In a world empty of explanation, people tend to fabricate their own truths and, in turn, they make the piece their own. That's what it's all about, isn't it?

CoM is one of my favorite movies so I appove that example. The problem isn't the plot holes, the problem is the atrocious voice acting. VG budgets are in the several dozen millions but developers cannot afford a decent voice actor for their games? How are games supposed to move in to the territory of "art" or evolve as a powerful storytelling medium if even the VA's of our biggest budget games are so atrociously untrained? Dialogue and narrative is one thing, a decent writer (albeit, GoW2's writer is obviously not one of them) can do wonders in that respect, but without decent VA talent what's the point? It's going to be diluted anyway.

Games can be "art" without any real VA at all *points to Ico and Shadow of the Colossus* because games are interactive. People keep trying to clump movies and games together because they are both audio-visual mediums however I think they need to stay seperate because of interactivity. In some cases I'm not "watching" the character in the game I "am" the character in the game which is why sometimes VA has the OPPOSITE effect for me. Is voice acting important to videogames? Yes, some games absolutely need top notch VA because they focus on the story and thematic elements, but that doesn't apply to everything and you shouldn't force it to either.

Ok, I can agree with that. GoW2 however hs been marketed and positioned as a game more driven by story and "cinematic" punch than GoW1 and inadvertently placed expectations sky high with far off comparisons to "Michelangelo" and "The Dark Knight" as well as other proposterous statements. The team behing GoW2 brought these expectations of cinematic storytelling and high art on to themselves but in reality GoW2 falls far short of that. It doesn't have the dialogue, the backdrop or the VO's to pull anything beyond a straight to dvd quality performance.