By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gears of War 2 is a disappointment (in some respects)

I couldnt care less. I loved every minute. My game of the generation so far. Exits thread

Around the Network

All of a sudden everyone becomes a story critic and looks for Shakespeare dialoge in action games. HAH!

The story in this game is on par or better to most action movies being made.

Action game + action story = success

Had this game tried to pull MGS4 emo crap and make Marcus and Dom start crying and hugging after their guns jammed...that would actually be cool too...but reguardless...

what was I saying?

TheTruthHurts! said:
This game thrives on it's non-stop action, cheesy one-liners, and pure-sugarcoated-candy-for-the-eyeballs graphical prowess! The biggest complaint from the last game was not enough story explaining the locusts, and the characters backgrounds. The give this title 3 times the story of the last, and people still complain. You cant please everyone, that's just the nature of things. I loved the story and the game-play. Personally, this game did everything right by me...XD.

See, that's where I disagree. Some things just aren't important. Where the locust comes from isn't important IMO. All I cared about is that they were there and that they needed to die... violently. I hate the notion that everything needs to be explained for a story to work. Sometimes it's just clutter that gets in the way and I wish more directors/producers would realize that. Stick to your core story and leave some bits out there for the imagination to do its work.

It works time and time again, yet I see few people utilize it well. Children of Men is a prime example. The fact that they didn't explain why no one could become pregnant almost became its own story through background elements. It added an extra layer of depth to an already complex piece that didn't need to be explained because it wasn't part of their retelling of the Nativity Story. If anything, it would have detracted from and distracted the film from its primary focus.

Not that I'm comparing Children of Men to any video game... I just wanted to point out that not everything needs to be explained and sometimes, it's best to let people try to figure out things for themselves. In a world empty of explanation, people tend to fabricate their own truths and, in turn, they make the piece their own. That's what it's all about, isn't it?

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

DTG,
We obviously share the same love for MGS but sadly, I think that's the only simularity between us. Your thread about TDK was rediculous. This one however, less so. I agree that the GeOW 2 story sucked. In fact I would have preferred no story at all like in the first, at least then I didn't have to go through the crappy story scenes that were laugh worthy. Overall, don't go to this game for a story though, you should have known better. It's all about gameplay, which is exactly why we play games. Perhaps, have you thought, that your looking in the wrong genre? Go play some RPG's or something. Your asking for something from a game that you shouldn't be asking of it, because your not going to get it. Just look at the premise of the game, big beefy space marines with big guns that go boom. How far can you stretch that into an increadibly thought provoking experiance?

PS3 Trophies

see my sig.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Around the Network

"After having watched this overrated but mediocre movie it's hard not to be beaten over the head with all the apparent coincidential similarities to MGS.

Batmans raspy voice, which came out quite forced seemed like a nod to David Hayters Solid Snake as the two characters sounded essentially alike (besides the fact that SS sounds much more natural having done this voice for over a decade)

The thematics and pseudo philosophies of TDK also quite overtly borrowed from MGS. The themes of chaos, control, manipulation, heroes, anarchy, etc were simply too numerous to be considered merely nods to MGS. Much like The Matrix practically ripped off Ghost in the Shell (and did a poor job at that) TDK quite shamefully borrowed almost complete lines from Kojima's games. Some of the lines of being a hero (or not being one), of chaos and control were so similar to dialogue used in MGS that it felt almost distracting while watching the movie.

That TDK made such shallow use of Kojima's deep thematics was ever so aggrivating, not to mention the fact that I had not see the director or writer admit to MGS serving as an obvious influence is what makes this all the more shameful. "

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Let's not make this about DTG's TDK/MGS thread, guys.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Strategyking92 said:
"After having watched this overrated but mediocre movie it's hard not to be beaten over the head with all the apparent coincidential similarities to MGS.

Batmans raspy voice, which came out quite forced seemed like a nod to David Hayters Solid Snake as the two characters sounded essentially alike (besides the fact that SS sounds much more natural having done this voice for over a decade)

The thematics and pseudo philosophies of TDK also quite overtly borrowed from MGS. The themes of chaos, control, manipulation, heroes, anarchy, etc were simply too numerous to be considered merely nods to MGS. Much like The Matrix practically ripped off Ghost in the Shell (and did a poor job at that) TDK quite shamefully borrowed almost complete lines from Kojima's games. Some of the lines of being a hero (or not being one), of chaos and control were so similar to dialogue used in MGS that it felt almost distracting while watching the movie.

That TDK made such shallow use of Kojima's deep thematics was ever so aggrivating, not to mention the fact that I had not see the director or writer admit to MGS serving as an obvious influence is what makes this all the more shameful. "

Dude, did you had to do that? That was just mean!

Let this thread go on. It will be epic enough on its own...

Quem disse que a boca é tua?

Qual é, Dadinho...?

Dadinho é o caralho! Meu nome agora é Zé Pequeno!

gears has never had a good story we all know that, i think that people that buy gears for the story must have get the game wrong, the campaign is just plain fun but thats it.. Epic has never made good story for their games they focus more on gameplay and the competitive part of the game.. i think that they tried to hype more the game with the "good story" thing so more people would buy it, with the online segment of the game you just cant go wrong so atleast i am happy with it

rocketpig said:
TheTruthHurts! said:
This game thrives on it's non-stop action, cheesy one-liners, and pure-sugarcoated-candy-for-the-eyeballs graphical prowess! The biggest complaint from the last game was not enough story explaining the locusts, and the characters backgrounds. The give this title 3 times the story of the last, and people still complain. You cant please everyone, that's just the nature of things. I loved the story and the game-play. Personally, this game did everything right by me...XD.

See, that's where I disagree. Some things just aren't important. Where the locust comes from isn't important IMO. All I cared about is that they were there and that they needed to die... violently. I hate the notion that everything needs to be explained for a story to work. Sometimes it's just clutter that gets in the way and I wish more directors/producers would realize that. Stick to your core story and leave some bits out there for the imagination to do its work.

It works time and time again, yet I see few people utilize it well. Children of Men is a prime example. The fact that they didn't explain why no one could become pregnant almost became its own story through background elements. It added an extra layer of depth to an already complex piece that didn't need to be explained because it wasn't part of their retelling of the Nativity Story. If anything, it would have detracted from and distracted the film from its primary focus.

Not that I'm comparing Children of Men to any video game... I just wanted to point out that not everything needs to be explained and sometimes, it's best to let people try to figure out things for themselves. In a world empty of explanation, people tend to fabricate their own truths and, in turn, they make the piece their own. That's what it's all about, isn't it?

CoM is one of my favorite movies so I appove that example. The problem isn't the plot holes, the problem is the atrocious voice acting. VG budgets are in the several dozen millions but developers cannot afford a decent voice actor for their games? How are games supposed to move in to the territory of "art" or evolve as a powerful storytelling medium if even the VA's of our biggest budget games are so atrociously untrained? Dialogue and narrative is one thing, a decent writer (albeit, GoW2's writer is obviously not one of them) can do wonders in that respect, but without decent VA talent what's the point? It's going to be diluted anyway.