By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - the cost of the ps3

Well, cheaper PS3 is good.

I do not have a PS3 but I will buy one when its price goes down to $200 - 250 range. 2009?

Around the Network

One has to wonder where the Xbox brand would have been today if Halo had never existed.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

FishyJoe said:
dallas said:

Well, given 2 chips, one made with 95nm etchings and one with 65nm etchings the 65 will cost less, and will produce less heat and use less voltage.

The thing of it is that this 65nm stuff is pretty new, and the price for the machines that manufacture with 65nm are still too expensive for sony or microsoft to invest in now, just like the price of BD players are still too high for many consumers. Either way, expect all three console companies to upgrade eventually.

Sony and Microsoft don't invest in fabrication. They contract stuff like that out. 

Either way, that fact is irrelevant to the business environment.  Either way, whether they have their own factories or just get somebody else to do it, the cost of the machines has to be the reason behind the delay.....i mean i can't just beleive that sony can't just blueprint the new smaller chips out, and get this taken care of in a reasonable amount of time, when the industry has already moved down to the 65nm standard, well for CPUs anyway. 

leo-j said:
I read this not to long ago and didnt post it for some reason. Though they are already making a profit(or were in europe) in some regions including australia.

Forget about this kind of argument. It has already been shown by many posters that after you take out taxes, higher retailer margins, blah blah blah, the difference for Sony/MS/Nintendo is not very big. Maybe they get a bit more money in those regions, but not enough to make the difference between "losing a significant amount of money per unit" to "making significant profit per unit".

The truth is that Sony said in their most recent financial statement conference that they are losing money on each unit sold, and that this situation will change, but not very soon. They weren't even sure it would happen this fiscal year (ie until March 2008).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957