By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Would you elect an Atheist?

Would you vote for an otherwise well qualified candidate for your head of government (e.g. US President; UK Prime Minister) who was an open atheist?

The reason I ask is because there was a 1999 US Gallup poll that asked the same question for women (95% would), Catholic (94% would), Jew (92% would), black (92% would), Mormon (79% would), homosexual (79% would) and atheist (49% would). Less than half of the US electorate would do it. I want to see what VGChartz users in 2008 would do.

I am an atheist, and I would vote for one if they were qualified.

Around the Network

Hell yes. One's personal religious beliefs (or lack thereof) have almost zero effect on their ability to lead.

Yes, I would vote for an atheist or a Catholic or a Muslim.. not a Mormon though.

Religion and politics should never mix.

Of course I would.

I'm not an atheist, by the way, but I'm not religious or agnostic either. Hm, I think my label has still to be invented. Maybe "mildly spiritual".

Well, I could point out that you don't vote for PMs in the UK, but I'm not an arse, so I won't.

However, would I care if our PM is religious or not? Hell no, as I'm an athiest myself, and even if he was part of some crazy religion and wanted to pass some crazy law, he'd have to get it through the Commons and the Lords first.

Around the Network

Ofcourse, seperation of state and church please.

a lot of atheists arent very nice people and hold a lot of hate towards those who are believers...so i would be hesitant to vote for one.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

MrBubbles said:
a lot of atheists arent very nice people and hold a lot of hate towards those who are believers...so i would be hesitant to vote for one.

I assume you're mainly talking about athiests on the internet... they're arses, just like all fanboys.

as long as they don't hold any sort of discrimination towards believers, i don't mind. even if he/she did, they wouldn't hold that power for very long.

MrBubbles said:

So just because some atheists "arent very nice people" you would hold all atheists responsible for that? Seriously?

\