By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Half Life 2 is the Best Shooter... Ever

The contents of this editorial are purely opinion and continously flamebaiting them won't affect or change them.  This is open for wise and analytical discussion but not pure fanboyism.

Wrote this on another forum:

I’ve always been a harsh critic of shooters. Despite me needing to play them I’ve never let them off easy. Why? I’m a child of the Goldeneye and Perfect Dark ages meaning I expect greatness. Too much these days you see shooters like Halo, Gears of War, Black, Red Steel, Call of Duty series, Killzone, Resistance, and the list goes on and they are good shooters. But they aren’t great.

I’ve recently been playing Half Life 2 and I’m 10 hrs through and just about done with the game and I’m am easily convinced that this is the greatest shooter ever created. Some see it as a cliche because that’s what everyone says but no one ever explains why. And to explain why it has to be done by harsh contrasts.

Let’s take Halo or Gears of War for example. The games progress by going from battle to battle and really it’s like a mini game. Just defeat the next horde of enemies. IN reality all games like these are are the multiplayer modes in Gears of War 2 called Horde. It’s fitting. However, to be fair, every now and then you’ll have unique gameplay elements. In Halo 3 there is a boss fight with a giant scarab or in the first Gears of War there is unique light battle versus bat like creatures. And these are great elements, but the problem is there are so few and far between that the single player becomes boring.

Up until this point every shooter I’ve played since Goldeneye and Perfect Dark has not kept me interested. It’s been like a struggle and a pain to just finish the game. But not Half Life 2. Why? Because it is the exact opposite of Halo and Gears of War. Half Life 2 has the gameplay change so much throughout the game it is almost impossible to get bored. Of course it has the core elements of going from horde to horde, but you also have moments where you control bug creatures to help fight your battles, use the gravity gun to solve puzzles or cross “death” pits, find ways to cross things that seem impassable, and the list goes on.

The game is so dynamic that I can only describe it in one way. If Legend of Zelda was a shooter, Half Life 2 would be it because it’s like playing Zelda in shooter form. And what breed does it spawn from? The Goldeneye and Perfect Dark age which had similar variations in gameplay. Only other shooters recently that I can think of that do this is Metroid Prime series and Bioshock.

This is not to say I don’t enjoy my stereotypical shooters for online which I do for Halo, MOHH2, and eventually COD5 and The conduit. But Half Life 2 is the standard to beat. Not Crysis, not Killzone 2, not Gears of War 2, not Halo 3, not any of those games. The standard was set awhile ago and no one has touched it. This is why I criticize shooters so much because THIS is what they should be... like Half Life 2. Congrats Valve... you have shown me why shooters can be so amazing like Rare and Nintendo did so long ago.

Now I bring this over for a few reasons.  I know I'm late on the HL2 bandwagon but I feel justice needs to be served here.  So much praise for games like Gears of War 2 or Resistance 2 lately and talks of these being the greatest shooters ever created.  And yet I feel this since of injustice because of it.  They aren't the greatest shooters ever created.  Hell they aren't even close.  All you need to do is play Half Life 2 to understand why.  This is the pinnacle of shooters in gaming and there is nothing like it.  Why do people like Resi 2 and GeoW 2 anyways?   Because the online saves it.  HL2 doesn't need that to save it's usually abysmal single player as it is so amazing that it would almost feel like online would hurt the game... similar to Metroid Prime. 

I'm not trying to discredit any game from being good but I am seeking to make a statement: to reviewers and gamers a like.  Remember when you think of the pinnacle of shooter gaming you look first at Doom, then at Goldeneye 007 and Perfect Dark, then on Metroid Prime, and you end it with Half Life 2.  Because nothing after that has come close to even displacing it ever.  The evolution stopped then and HL2 deserves that justice and so do the games releasing nowadays.  Half Life 2 is the shooter still to beat and so far it looks like we are going in a reverse direction.  So just like the next guy I like the Halo's and call of duty's and what not, but I only like and respect the games like Half Life 2 as the greatest of them all.

Around the Network

It's quite possible that it is.

My Games of 2011:

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Super Mario 3D Land

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Amen. So far it's the best shooter to have come out, and it will probably stay like that until HL3, though for MP I prefer UT2004 (just won myself a brand new DVD recorder by winnign 1st place this weekend). Now get around to playing the episodes. I promise you the ending of 2 will blow you away. All shooters after HL1 came out were basically clones of it, same stands for all shooters that came out after HL2. I personally loved the prison defense whre you had to use the turrets to cover some exits and stuff. Though I disagree on your Perfect Dark comment. Half-Life 1 was ahead of it.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

HL2: Episode 2 was short, but it was my favourite. Have you played it?

dudehatp- Well I have no doubt that a lot will agree with me but this editorial is mainly for justice. Justice in that it should still be treated like that until its reign is done. If people still give that justice too games such as FF7 and Zelda: OOT, it should still be given to Half Life 2 because nothing has topped it yet.

Around the Network
vlad321 said:
Amen. Now get around to playing the episodes. I promise you the ending of 2 will blow you away. All shooters after HL1 came out were basically clones of it, same stands for all shooters that came out after HL2. I personally loved the prison defense whre you had to use the turrets to cover some exits and stuff. Though I disagree on your Perfect Dark comment. Half-Life 1 was ahead of it.

Oh yea I'm just finising HL2 and working into Episode 1.  But oh yea I'll get around to it.  I've never been so captured by a shooter since the games I've named before it haha.

And yea I probably would have agreed with HL1 comment but I've just never played HL1.   But I Hope it's assumed that it's a part of the HL series being amazing as well.  No other shooter series like it.

You think Red Steel and Killzone are in the same league as Halo and Call of Duty?

As for HL2, I can see the point you are making, but I never really got into the first one for some reason, so I never played this one. Maybe I will some day.

why posting the obvious.

half life 2 doesnt have any flaws, so it basicly wins by default.

Also almost every shooter copies half life 1/2

Its one of my favorite game on the PC, but in today's standards, its quite boring.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
wartaal said:
why posting the obvious.

half life 2 doesnt have any flaws, so it basicly wins by default.

Also almost every shooter copies half life 1/2

Because apparently people have forgotten the obvious.  And if they are copying off this game... they aren't doing a good job.