By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best Video Game Decade? 70's? 80's? 90's? 2000's?

My decade refers to arcade games rather than home consoles but it does only ask for favourite 'video game' decade.

80s for me because it saw the release of genuinly new video game styles and experiences and not just remakes and copies.

Games such as Crossbow and Operation wolf with imitation crossbow and machine gun.

Bubble Bobble, Gauntlet, Street Fighter etc with 2 and 4 players playing beside each other in competition but also as alies.

Marble Madness and Toobin with their trackerball movement.

APB and the many many other car racing games that let you sit at the wheel of a vehicle.

Entering an arcade and playing a new style of arcade games that had never been seen before was genuinly exciting and surely almost all games today can be traced back to some game of the 80s.

Having said all that I'd been growing more and more bored of video games from about the mid 90s and seeing the same games remade and renamed over and over to me semed very lazy and extremely boring until the DS sparked off an new interest in video games for me, because again it allowed for a new way of playing.

I know a lot of people younger than me here get excited because of the imminent release of a new game (usually more often than not a sequal) but I don't think you really know what it's like to be able to play a style of game that's completely new and different for the fist time.

Around the Network

90s b/c of the emphasis on new IP, coming of age of consoles and very little milk!

90s (SNES, N64, PS1, Warcraft II, Starcraft, Diablo)
2000s
80s
70s

Signature goes here!

90s, easily.

Definitely the 90's. So many great games for every major console.

Around the Network
NFGBlinkAC said:
a.l.e.x00 said:
NFGBlinkAC said:
1988-present because thats when i existed lol :P

Serious note:

90's
80's
2000's
70's

for me

Is it just me, or does everyone essentially follow that list? Have a created a universally agreed thread? This could be the first...

Good question lol, but thats my personal opinion.  I'm sure there are a handful of people that like the 80's better than the 90's.

The 90s will obviously get more votes because most people here were born in the 80s and therefore have no real experience of 80s video games at the time they were first released.

It's like listening to the Beatles now and thinking, 'yea so, there are loads of band like that who write thier own music', the thing is, back then, there wasn't it was new and exciting. (just an example as I was born after The Beatles split)

I'm interested to see which decade people choose that have experience of video games from their beginnings and therefore can remember what playing a certain genre was like for the very first time.

90's for games.

It's like the 70's in music, or the 80's in film. A time of huge creativity and genius.

famousringo said:
The 1940s.

The first pinball table with flippers was introduced in 1947. It dramatically increased player interactivity, transforming it from a game of luck into a game of skill.

Some of the pinball tables of the 80s I remmeber with great fondness too, Williams Firepower and Gorgar (released December 1979) and Balley's Harlem Globetrotters.

Gorgar and Firepower from Ethan Winer on Vimeo
via videosift.com

The 90's, no doubt. Everything was better then. Even getting bitten by a dog in the 90's was better than getting bitten by a dog now!!

ask a kid in 20 years