By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why does Nintendo take that long to make games compared to HD consoles?

A lot of those games hardly change. The differences between Gears of War and Gears of War 2 are miniscule. The changes within Resistance and Resistance 2 and PGR3 and PGR4 are tiny compared to those between SMS and SMG or LoZ: TWW and LoZ: TP. Plus, half your games are TBA 2009 and you have no clue whether they'll be delayed or whatever.

Around the Network

@Oyv: I owned a PS1 and I regret it. N64 was the console I enjoyed the most that gen, and I bought it later. SNES was one beast of a Console, probably the best console ever released. GC had its fair amount of games too, but there was a difference, it had some decent 3rd party support. It's not that I hate 3rd party games, not at all. Some of my favourite are 3rd party games. It's that I dislike where gaming is going with the HD consoles, it's almost always all about the tech part of it, and I'm tired of that. Shooting and killing people is fun for a while. Also games that try to be movies, I detest them.

Maybe next year will be the year when I become less dependant of Nintendo games to enjoy my console. If you check my collection, majority of games I own are made by Nintendo.

But even if I'm in a minority, that minority is still important to Nintendo. A true Nintendo fansite is Gonintendo, and I can't stop seeing people that feel the same way I do and are irritated with Nintendo. So yes I'm in a minority, but not in that minority that hates casual ans quirky games, I accept them and know they are the most important games for Nintendo this gen. I only want them to consider the customer that brings them the most money (the western one, specially America) and their longtime fans, who allowed them to survive in the N64 and GC eras.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Squilliam said:

Perhaps its because if a game isn't quite right, they'll go back and make it again.

Add Blizzard and Valve to that list, and see what that shows you.

Also add: Team ICO *4 years development* and Killzone 2 as well.

team ico games are masterpieces, great ness takes time =D

Nintendo has never released their main franchises frequently. If you bought Wii expecting more than 1 Mario game, 1 Mario Kart, 1 Smash Bros, 1 Zelda after TP, etc, you're a fool.

Even with their big breakthroughs of the last few years, they aren't milking them with frequent releases. Nintendogs has no sequel announced. Brain Training had More Brain Training, but nothing beyond that. Wii Fit has no sequel announced. After Wii Sports and Wii Play, it takes 2 1/2 years for Wii Sports Resort. Animal Crossing will have just one version each for DS and Wii. Even Mario Party has backed off from being a yearly franchise.

This is just what Nintendo does. Even if it relies on old technology (lateral thinking of withered technology), it takes longer to invent "the next big thing" than to pump out a sequel with an existing engine and assets. The Mario team will probably take 3-4 years to make the next Mario game because they're hunting for an idea as cool as the "gravity" concept. Miyamoto has talked about how right now the Zelda team is looking for things to shake up the series, and before that suggested that Twilight Princess would be the last Zelda of its type. And even a game which could have half a dozen sequels by now, Wii Sports, will only get a sequel for Motion Plus.

Companies like EA, Activision and Ubisoft rely on frequent sequels. The Sims 2 has had 2 expansion packs per year. The Tom Clancy franchise has at least 2 games per year. Need for Speed, Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, etc., come out yearly. Guitar Hero and Rock Band are going for 2+ and 1+ games per year, respectively. For Wii, Raving Rabbids and MySims are becoming annual franchises.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

@Erik: Maybe you are right, I'm maybe expecting too much from Nintendo. But it's not without a reason, it's because I just realized how poor has 3rd party support been so far. I may have, without realizing, dismissed every other dev as competent to make a Wii game. Maybe next year things will change concerning 3rd party devs, I very much hope so. But Nintendo of America needs to get their act together and start being fair to all the regions. There's no reason as of why they should be releasing all their games in Japan but quite a lot of them not here.

We paid the same amount of money as Japanese gamers did (Well even more, since we were forced to buy Wii Sports too). We should be treated equally. Next time let them test an RPG in America and then not release it in Japan because it didn't perform "good". Imagine the uproar that it would cause.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network

@Trestres
Do you really want a Zelda or a Mario game made in 2 years to meet the demands of unreasonable and impatient fans. I know i dont. Ocarina was made in how many years? and look at how that turned out. I hate people whining about these things, considering they mostly kept quiet during the GC era. If you were, by any chance ,trying to put down Ninty as developers with this thread, look at team ICO or Polyphony for examples. These are guys that have Nintendo like polish to their games and thus have massive delays. Heck, even KZ2 was delayed so much, and for what reasons?In comparison, Nintendo have been impressively fast in delivering games from their top IPs this gen(which are the best of the series mostly).

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murders will foam up about their waist and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

....and I'll look down and whisper  "no."  

- Rorschach

trestres is playing a demi-troll. In truth, he's a raving Nintendo fanboy, but he wants to make these threads so people see him as more neutral. He's doing all of this half-heartedly, I think. ;)

The BuShA owns all!

SeriousWB said:
Soleron said:

So, let me see. On the Wii side you have ONE company. One the HD side you have Sony, Microsoft, Monolith, Bizarre, Ubisoft, 2K Games, Harmonix, Crytek, Mistwalker, Criterion Games and Infinity Ward. That's ELEVEN companies.

I'd just like you to think whether ELEVEN to ONE is a fair comparison.

Nintendo is doing rather well to have equalled the output of 6+ "HD" developers in terms of games.

/thread

Really needed to be quoted for emphasis.

Bumping post for more emphasis

"To love and to cherish, in sickness and in health, for as long you shall be resurrected from death in the church"

@BringBackChrono: No, I don't want a Zelda every year, but there's been a pattern that has been followed quite precisely when we talk about Zelda games http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=45109

Anyways I wasn't expecting another Zelda for a long time, since DS is very successful too, so Nintendo has to make games for both consoles. What I was expecting was a game from any other franchises like F-Zero, Pikmin, Mother, PilotWings, Donkey Kong, 1080º, WaveRace, Star Fox, Kid Icarus, Eternal Darkness, Geist, Custom Robo, Chibi Robo, Golden Sun, etc. which haven't seen a game released in at least 4 - 5 years, with as long as 10 years.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

@trestres
The point is, Nintendo is no worse, and maybe even better that most developers when it comes to completing a project, once started, inside the projected time-frame. Games like condemned , Moto Storm, even Gears are not that much of an improvement over their predecessors , whereas Ninty has the task of developing most of the new games for old IPs with a new , completely different control scheme which essentially should work well. And its no surprise that the first ones off the line are the biggest franchises they have. I still maintain that their first party contributions to this gen are gonna be far more numerous than last gen,and they are the leading game develpers in the world right now,as far as consostency in quality/quantity is concerned

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murders will foam up about their waist and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

....and I'll look down and whisper  "no."  

- Rorschach