By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 26 Best RPGs according to Gamepro

It's pretty clear they aren't veteran RPG gamers because they choose the most popular instead of the best. No Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, or Baldur's Gate 1?

LOL, they even chose Fallout 3, but no Fallout 1 or 2. Fallout 2 is MUCH better than Fallout 3, any RPG fan would tell you that.

List completely fails.

Around the Network
SmokedHostage said:
pastro243 said:
SmokedHostage said:
pastro243 said:
MANUELF said:
pastro243 said:
fazz said:

http://www.smogon.com/ explore this site than say Pokemon is a bad game.

?? Whats the site about? anyway, I read some of the things in the first page and they look interesting, but I think its nothing that couldnt be done in a patch, the core gameplay on the games hasnt changed a bit in all these years, and it should considering, like I said before, the differences in the hardware that couldve been used to make a much better game.

The gameplay has changed quite a bit.  Natures, Abilities, IV values, EV values, new and more competitive moves, held items, and the separation of special and physical attack among types.. Blue and Red could be summed up an exchange of powerful moves til all of the Pokemon on one team is knocked out.  Diamond and Pearl has achieved great balance in the game and a much deeper competitive mechanic that probably can't be realized by a child playing the game.  Smogon.com has pretty much turned the battling of Pokemon into a science and I doubt a mediorce game is worth doing so.

Anything can be turned into a science, especially a game which has so many fans as pokemon, that doesnt change the fact that you can beat the game without thinking too much or even paying attention to those battle mechanics.

Anyway, it doesnt seem that ill make you change your mind, and you wont change mine.
I still dont think the pokemon games should be in the best RPG everI think any final fantasy is better, and there are better RPG than many FF.

pastro243 said:
SmokedHostage said:
pastro243 said:
SmokedHostage said:
pastro243 said:
MANUELF said:
pastro243 said:
fazz said:

?? Whats the site about? anyway, I read some of the things in the first page and they look interesting, but I think its nothing that couldnt be done in a patch, the core gameplay on the games hasnt changed a bit in all these years, and it should considering, like I said before, the differences in the hardware that couldve been used to make a much better game.

The gameplay has changed quite a bit.  Natures, Abilities, IV values, EV values, new and more competitive moves, held items, and the separation of special and physical attack among types.. Blue and Red could be summed up an exchange of powerful moves til all of the Pokemon on one team is knocked out.  Diamond and Pearl has achieved great balance in the game and a much deeper competitive mechanic that probably can't be realized by a child playing the game.  Smogon.com has pretty much turned the battling of Pokemon into a science and I doubt a mediorce game is worth doing so.

Anything can be turned into a science, especially a game which has so many fans as pokemon, that doesnt change the fact that you can beat the game without thinking too much or even paying attention to those battle mechanics.

Anyway, it doesnt seem that ill make you change your mind, and you wont change mine.
I still dont think the pokemon games should be in the best RPG everI think any final fantasy is better, and there are better RPG than many FF.

The great thing about Pokemon is that you don't have stop playing once you finish it.  There's a little something called Player vs. Player battles.  Name a Final Fantasy that has great multiplayer possibility and isn't a minigame.

Pixel Art can be fun.

No Pokemon Gold/Silver in list = FAIL.

It doesnt even have a story

Around the Network
pastro243 said:

Indeed it does.

Pixel Art can be fun.

SmokedHostage said:
pastro243 said:
SmokedHostage said:
pastro243 said:
SmokedHostage said:
pastro243 said:
MANUELF said:
pastro243 said:
fazz said:

The great thing about Pokemon is that you don't have stop playing once you finish it.  There's a little something called Player vs. Player battles.  Name a Final Fantasy that has great multiplayer possibility and isn't a minigame.

FF 11, and RPG are not about the multiplayer, they are about story and gameplay mechanics, and if these are both great, you dont need multiplayer. Besides, its not like all RPG are linear, you can still play and roam the world in FF.

FFXII is on the list but not FFX and FFVI. Those 2 are widely considered the best FF along with FFVII of course. Zelda is on the list... wtf? World of Warcraft is certainly the most popular but it's far from being the second best. This list is crap like that site. People posting those lists should always copy the list so we don't have to go to their website.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

SmokedHostage said:
pastro243 said:

Indeed it does.

Tell it to me

pastro243 said:
SmokedHostage said:
pastro243 said:
SmokedHostage said:
pastro243 said:
SmokedHostage said:
pastro243 said:
MANUELF said:
pastro243 said:
fazz said:

FF 11, and RPG are not about the multiplayer, they are about story and gameplay mechanics, and if these are both great, you dont need multiplayer. Besides, its not like all RPG are linear, you can still play and roam the world in FF.

Multiplayer is where PKMN really shines, much like Storytelling is where FF shines.  To say that an RPG can't be about multiplayer is just narrow minded thinking, imo.

Pixel Art can be fun.