By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 2009 will be the Year of...

Ugh when will it be the year of the the 3D space shooters? I really want some new games in that genre.

Around the Network

How appropriate that I'm listening to "Forces" from the Berserk OST as I'm reading this. That seems appropriate for staging massive battles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkYYYew8CUI

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
How appropriate that I'm listening to "Forces" from the Berserk OST as I'm reading this. That seems appropriate for staging massive battles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkYYYew8CUI

Berserk Rules =p.  I am reading the manga and it is fucking awesome;

isn't endwar coming out this year?

|_emmiwinks said:
starcraft said:
Endwar looks pretty sweet.

Halo Wars is looking VERY promising.

As for the PC, there are alot of RTS's, but the PC hasnt really been a massive presence in the circles that determine the "Year of" catagories. Im sure it'll just be the Year of The Shooter like the last 2 years. :-/

PC has the best lineup almost every year and always has the most games, so PC is the biggest factor to determine the "Year of...". For example, 2007 was the year of FPS and it was PC that gave the most for it, not consoles: Crysis, Stalker, stand-alone Team Fortress 2.

Around the Network

I'm intrested in CoH and SC3. The others we'll see about.

starcraft said:
twesterm said:
starcraft said:
Endwar looks pretty sweet.

Halo Wars is looking VERY promising.

I'm still not convinced Halo Wars is going to be good.  They even showed some in game footage today of what I can only assume it a near final build which didn't look bad until the Scarab entered the scene.  Watch the video and you will see exactly what I mean...

http://kotaku.com/5075409/finally-some-more-halo-wars-gameplay

But other than that, looks great for RTS!  I've missed that genre almost as much as much point and click adventures.

I didn't have a major problem with the Scarab?

Are you saying you wanted it to be more powerful?

Watch it again and then watch the scarabs legs as it walks.  Look how choppy and terrible they look.

I'll go with Anno 1404 and Starcraft 2.

I disagree. 1994/1995 were the years of RTS, not 2009.

shio, you know that the Anno series is not really RTS?

Empire: Total War looks very impressive, but it also looks like you need two quad scores duct together, not to mention the same screenshot was already shown in numerous 2008 PC lineup threads.

2009 is the year of the same all over again with more glitter and glamour. Besides, we all know, regarding RTS, 2009 will be the year of Starcraft 2, nothing else (and 2010 will be the year of ARPG, in other words: Diablo 3).

Lineup threads show one thing: Gamers are conservative people (me included of course)

I'm with konnichiwa here:
I don't want RTS galore again (a genre that was never in trouble on PC for a second), I'd like to see real starving classic PC genres revived by some surprising high quality games, such as space sims on the same level as those from Origin/LucasArts or adventures on the same level as those from LucasArts/Westwood/Sierra.

Anyway, I have to admit: 2009 will be another good year for RTS fans.

@ okr )

Anno isn't a traditional RTS in the sense, that it doesn't focusses on fighting, but what you do is strategically planing and building your city(s) in real time (and some fighting, if you need to expand in order to satisfy the demands of your people).