By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is Gears 2 The New Benchmark For Video Games?

Holy cow, just noticed this: At the time of me writing this, Gears 2 has 0.1% lower then LBP on Gamerankings. That would put it either right below LBP as the 14th highest scored game, or right below Half-Life 2, right ABOVE Halo CE, as the 16th game of all time.

As of writing anyway, but thats **** impressive for a shooter, and not a genre that devs don't know much about yet.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:
RPG_Fanatic said:
A bechmark for video games in general, no.

A benchmark XBOX 360 games, or Third-Person Shooter games in genertal, that is very possible.

Though I don't own a 360, so I can't make the final judgement.

This isn't a FPS, FYI, nor should it be compared to one.

My bad, replace FPS with Third-Person Shooter. I should stop making these kinds of posts at work.

I can't believe I made that mistake even though I've seen the gameplay footage.

"To love and to cherish, in sickness and in health, for as long you shall be resurrected from death in the church"

Absolutely not. Personally I still think the benchmark for shooters is Half Life 2 because I have yet to see something even come close to it. Aside from Metroid Prime but it's hard to relate the 2. Point being its hard to be a benchmark setter when you still can't set it past the best.

And as for all videogames that is simply laughable. How do you compare benchmarks for cross genres. Gears 2 is a benchmark for nothing other than showing that Epic could improve upon Gears 1 greatly showing just how simplistic the first was. I credit Epic for being able to improve on the first so much and not just give us a rehash.

Shadowblind said:
Holy cow, just noticed this: At the time of me writing this, Gears 2 has 0.1% lower then LBP on Gamerankings. That would put it either right below LBP as the 14th highest scored game, or right below Half-Life 2, right ABOVE Halo CE, as the 16th game of all time.

As of writing anyway, but thats **** impressive for a shooter, and not a genre that devs don't know much about yet.

And on Metacritics it's currently level with LBP, but like I said LBP has had more reviews and it's harder to sustain a higher rating for more reviews. So Gears 2 could drop to 94 or 93 on metacritic yet.

Ender said:
Reasonable said:
KatinJin said:
Gamespy says yes:

While it's certainly open to debate, we're going to go out on a limb and call Gears of War 2 the most visually impressive game of all-time. It actually looks quite a bit better than its predecessor, which most Gears of War fans would agree is quite a feat.

So, yes.

I'm actually rather alarmed that it appears Gamespy console reviewers have never played a PC game like Crysis & Crysis Warhead.  Both on a high end PC are superior visually to Gears and pretty much everything else that I've seen since.  They don't play as well as Gears (although they are good) and the plot for Crysis in particular goes 'a bit wrong' but visually they remain the bar - one so high each new video card/CPU actually seems to allow more and more of the game's engine to shine.

I'm not knocking GeOW2 - it's visually great and I think the best looking 360 game yet and possibly the best looking HD console game yet.  But of all time?  Compared to games with higher resolutions, bigger draw distances, same or greater level of detail, etc?  Nope.

I think it's pretty clear the reviewer was referring to just consoles.  Bringing PC's into the converstation pretty much ends it.

The reviewer implies consoles only but says 'best graphics ever' without qualification.  I know its nitpicking but in general it seems writing skills are going downhill in terms of being explicit vs vague and I don't like it.

I did point out I thought GeOW2 pushed envelope for consoles graphically.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network
twingo said:
Best online no
Best Graphics no
Best single player no

Thus no, quite easy.

I think it might have the best single player, and it certainly has the best co-op. I think you're just biased against it. Quite obvious, actually.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Zucas said:
Absolutely not. Personally I still think the benchmark for shooters is Half Life 2 because I have yet to see something even come close to it. Aside from Metroid Prime but it's hard to relate the 2. Point being its hard to be a benchmark setter when you still can't set it past the best.

Metroid Prime is a FPA. It just has the ability to shoot things in it.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Lets be honest the talk of the newest games being a benchmark is just laughable at times.

Why? Because there just doing what other games did earlier before them. Yes it nice since then they've learned from them and improved but they weren't the ones setting the foundation of the genre.

So can we please stop this talk, or maybe PlayStation 3 fans keep coming in the Microsoft 360 section or vice versa, yes we know you enjoy your games doesn't mean you have to piss into everyone's cereals.

Dinomax said:
Lets be honest the talk of the newest games being a benchmark is just laughable at times.

Why? Because there just doing what other games did earlier before them. Yes it nice since then they've learned from them and improved but they weren't the ones setting the foundation of the genre.

So can we please stop this talk, or maybe PlayStation 3 fans keep coming in the Microsoft 360 section or vice versa, yes we know you enjoy your games doesn't mean you have to piss into everyone's cereals.

I don't understand your point. Why should people being Playstation 3 fans have anything to do with their opinions on gaming benchmarks, unless they're fanboys....and if they're fanboys, it's very obvious, so an intelligent poster would know enough to disregard their opinions.

Seems a lot of people have different definitions of the word benchmark.

If a game raises the level of quality in other games, and said quality becomes a standard, then it has set a benchmark.

Some benchmarks from recent years in the gameplay department have come from the cover system in Gears, the onstar system in GTAIV(Fable 2, Dead Space, have copied very successfully), and the limb targeting system in RE4. The hardest genre to set benchmarks in is the FPS genre.

A benchmark isn't something that every new game copies. Games are still released today that aren't up to snuff with recent benchmarks set by the industry. Benchmarks improve a game, they don't create it.

As far as Gears 2 goes, we don't know if it's set any benchmarks, nor will we for a while.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Dinomax said:

"Piss into everyone's cereals"... now there's a Bill Paxton line if ever there was one!

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...