By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is Gears 2 The New Benchmark For Video Games?

KatinJin said:
Gamespy says yes:

While it's certainly open to debate, we're going to go out on a limb and call Gears of War 2 the most visually impressive game of all-time. It actually looks quite a bit better than its predecessor, which most Gears of War fans would agree is quite a feat.

So, yes.

Looks like i'm in good company, thank you gamespy. 

Around the Network
reask said:

Having read the reviews that have come in for this game I am blown away.

Also watching the videos of the various gameplay aspects It looks incredible.

Is there anything out there that is really as good?

The first game was the first next generation game to come out imo.

This one just looks as if the bar has been set much higher.

Your thoughts would be interesting.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and GT5 Prologue are still the best games for graphics. And Resistance 2 is the best games for features on-line (8 player co-op and 60 player online)

When Killzone 2 will be released, will be the new Benchmark For Video Games for graphics, physics and everything.

Gears of War 2 is a good game, but has the same graphics of GOW1 and the physics is absent (this is the biggest problem of GOW1 and 2).

<ps3 title> beats it hands down. That's a fact.

Daxter210 said:
reask said:

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and GT5 Prologue are still the best games for graphics. And Resistance 2 is the best games for features on-line (8 player co-op and 60 player online)

When Killzone 2 will be released, will be the new Benchmark For Video Games for graphics, physics and everything.

Gears of War 2 is a good game, but has the same graphics of GOW1 and the physics is absent (this is the biggest problem of GOW1 and 2).

This is an ignorant and biased generalization.

There are several major misconceptions here, the the most important one is bolded, and completely untrue.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Benchmark implies that every new game should at least be like it.
I disagree, if every game turned out like GeoW2, I would not be very happy.
It is great as a divergent game, a game that shakes things up.
It wouldn't be great if every game were like it.

Around the Network
Snarf Barf said:
Gears 2 looks that same as gears 1 soo answer is no. Uncharted has better graphics also.

what are you smoking ??? sony weed ???

How can you possibly misspell QWERTY? It's spelled correctly on the damn keyboard.

way to many haters on here but hey thats when you know you have a great game is when people who support the other consoles try and play it down. Gears 2 has 95 on metacritic with only 5 games above it this gen(world of goo, super mario galaxy, bioshock 360 and orange box 360 and gta). Now as for bench marks and all that I dont really give a cr#p the game has had amazing reviews and cant wait to play.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
CGI-Quality said:
I agree with Montana to an extent. Other shooters have set a higher standard but I do think Gears 2 will still be quite entertaining and AMAZING!!!

There are way too many 360 haters in this thread.

The politically correct term is "unsatisfied ps3 customers", thank you. The more amazing and/or desirable the 360 exclusive game is, the fiercer they become. Interesting, isn't it?

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

theprof00 said:

I think it just means that every new TPS, or cover system game, ect, should use elements from it.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
theprof00 said:

I think it just means that every new TPS, or cover system game, ect, should use elements from it.

exactly.

If you read the Eurgamer review on R2, they mention that they gave a low score because it did not have "motion blur". Motion blur is one of the things GeOW has that differes it from other shooters. Now, saying motion blur is awesome is one thing. Saying, every game from here on out should have motion blur is another thing.