By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 1Up: State of the NPD: PlayStation 3

ckmlb said:
Good points, but let's see how things go from the price cut and onwards.

Sales are already slowing

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
DonWii said:

July=4 weeks

51k 1st week

45k 2nd week

It would have to sell at/better than 45k the next 2 weeks to reach that. With a moderate drop, I could see it doing, at most, 170k in July.

I agree....I reckon we will see approx 160k for the month

1st week - 51k

2nd week - 45k

3rd week - 36k

4th week - 28k

There are no big games being released this month...but it may get a bit better next month with the release of Lair. 

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
ckmlb said:

Everyone knew sales were going to slow down after the first week. There are always a bunch of people who have enough interest in a console to buy it the second the price cuts, so obviously the first week of the new price is huge spike in sales. I'm honestly surprised the sales decreased as little as they did this week.

I thought GT5Prologue and UT3 were both coming out this year.

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

Parokki said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
ckmlb said:

Everyone knew sales were going to slow down after the first week. There are always a bunch of people who have enough interest in a console to buy it the second the price cuts, so obviously the first week of the new price is huge spike in sales. I'm honestly surprised the sales decreased as little as they did this week.

I'm not, I expect in a week or two the sales of the PS3 will stabilize around 360 weekly sales levels, but that isn't a good sign for the PS3 as its still going to be selling very poorly and the boost from the drop is limited

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:
ckmlb said:

Yup, it's all over, the price cut has failed cause the second week sold less than the first. At least wait a few weeks and see how the sales go before bringing your PS3 doom and gloom again.

Also, G5 Prologue is coming out this year, in October in Japan.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

ckmlb said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
ckmlb said:

Yup, it's all over, the price cut has failed cause the second week sold less than the first. At least wait a few weeks and see how the sales go before bringing your PS3 doom and gloom again.

Also, G5 Prologue is coming out this year, in October in Japan.

Perhaps, but as I said i'm not expecting anything big for the PS3, its like when the European launch happened and everyone was saying it would propel the PS3 to new sales heights and then after a couple of weeks the sales plummeted

Because of price, because of price, because of price, how many more times does this have to be drilled into some peoples heads. Perhaps IF Sony is smart enough to offer some form of PS3 at $399 this holiday say buh-bye to 360 and hello to Wii's much smaller sales partner.

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Parokki said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
ckmlb said:

I'm not, I expect in a week or two the sales of the PS3 will stabilize around 360 weekly sales levels, but that isn't a good sign for the PS3 as its still going to be selling very poorly and the boost from the drop is limited

Still too soon to make that call. It could be that last weeks spurt in sales and the number of stores that have reportedly sold out could explain some of that drop.  And some may be waiting the 2 weeks for the launch of the 80 Gig.

And, as with the first week spike, the second week drop is just a blip - not a pattern. I'd say if the PS3 is able to maintain higher sales than their pre-cut average, it would be successful to at least some degree. That doesn't mean  it is enough to rescue the PS3, though.

I said after last week's euphoria that nothing means nothing until the end of August, at the earliest.

Lair and Madden are coming out in about 2weeks which will drive sales. The PS3 is still young and at the 2 year mark the PS3 will have the best overall lineup.